impossible physics question (1 Viewer)

petermaniah198

HSC
Discuss the ability for the wave nature of light in explaining the photoelectric effect (4 marks)

buckskinbrumby

social misanthrope
HSC
Discuss the ability for the wave nature of light in explaining the photoelectric effect (4 marks)
I'm guessing, since it's a discuss question, that you can draw a conclusion even if it's different to what they're suggesting, and so say that the PE effect shows that light has a particle nature, but that other experiments (eg. cathode rays) show that it also has a wave nature, which has led to the dual nature theory. Hope that helped
Screenshot 2016-05-25 at 10.01.16 PM.png (hope the picture worked, otherwise find in http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mod1.html under wave-particle duality: light). However that is a weird question

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
I would firstly talk about how wave model successfully predicted that as the intensity of the light increased, photo current should increase also, which it did albeit for a reason other than that predicted by the wave model of light.
I would then go on and talk about 2 things that the wave model could not explain (existence of threshold frequency, instantaneous emission, effect of frequency on Ek of electrons etc..)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)