In class essay tips (1 Viewer)

rrpp6

HSC
N/A
I have an in class english essay with an unknown question where we get to take in a quote sheet. Does anyone have any advice or tips for it since its my first one?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
There are some tips that you may wish to consider which will hopefully assist you in performing well. These include:
  • Quality of the quote sheet - It is important that you capitalise on the opportunity of bringing in a quote sheet to the in-class essay. Doing so involves ensuring that you select a varied set of quotes, meaning that a number of quotes should be allocated towards each major theme contained within your text(s), in addition to an additional set of more general quotes that can apply to a range of contexts. The latter is particularly beneficial in terms of mitigating the risk associated with the fact that you will be attempting an unseen question as you will not necessarily be restricting yourself to any particular theme/perspective.
  • Practice - Similarly, in addition to the fact that practice will provide you with an opportunity to improve your writing capabilities, completing a number of practice essay questions targeting your text(s) will enable you to become more familiar and confident in terms of the use/application of each particular quote that you add to your quote sheet. Additionally, attempting several practice essay questions will also enable you to optimise your quote sheet prior to completing the in-class essay with the unknown question, which involves determining the best combination of quotes that includes the most useful quotes and excludes quotes that may not be of benefit.
I hope this helps! :D

rrpp6

HSC
N/A
There are some tips that you may wish to consider which will hopefully assist you in performing well. These include:
  • Quality of the quote sheet - It is important that you capitalise on the opportunity of bringing in a quote sheet to the in-class essay. Doing so involves ensuring that you select a varied set of quotes, meaning that a number of quotes should be allocated towards each major theme contained within your text(s), in addition to an additional set of more general quotes that can apply to a range of contexts. The latter is particularly beneficial in terms of mitigating the risk associated with the fact that you will be attempting an unseen question as you will not necessarily be restricting yourself to any particular theme/perspective.
  • Practice - Similarly, in addition to the fact that practice will provide you with an opportunity to improve your writing capabilities, completing a number of practice essay questions targeting your text(s) will enable you to become more familiar and confident in terms of the use/application of each particular quote that you add to your quote sheet. Additionally, attempting several practice essay questions will also enable you to optimise your quote sheet prior to completing the in-class essay with the unknown question, which involves determining the best combination of quotes that includes the most useful quotes and excludes quotes that may not be of benefit.
I hope this helps! :D
Thank you!!

angeldevso

HSC
I agree with the post above! Pretty good answer with quality and detailed advice. I’ll add on my own that, if there is an opportunity to find out at least some approximate topic of the essay and the author, and read a few ready-made essays. And also take note of something useful. For example, in what style the essay is written, how the subject of the essay is revealed and how to pick up a couple of new words.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)