in class essay (1 Viewer)

jessb87

HSC
how can i remeber this whole essay to write in class... for one im shit at essays so this is making it even harder ........
assess the contributions of athens AND sparta in the greek defeat of the persians in the period 490-479
and n e one got sum info that i can use in this ..n e thing would be good . thx

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
There are quite a few notes on the topic ur after in the resources page located here . Scroll through them and there are a few essays and notes worth looking at. To answer your question about memorising: you have a bonus knowing the question before the exam!! lol So what I found easiest to do was write out sentence by sentence and paragraph by paragraph. Yuo just keep re-writting it heaps of times until you know it off by heart and u can re-write it without looking at your already written essay. Also reading it and re-reading it helps to get the main paragraphs and ideas stored into your brain.

Good luck! :)

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
jessb87 said:
how can i remeber this whole essay to write in class... for one im shit at essays so this is making it even harder ........
assess the contributions of athens AND sparta in the greek defeat of the persians in the period 490-479
the best way to remember an in class essay is not to try and remember it word for word - that is almost impossiable and it makes u very nervious when u go into the task. you are better off having a plan in mind

what you need to do is remember a plan for the essay - lets see first off all identify what the question is asking u to do - assess so you will have to make a judgement -

basically you will need to day what both athens adn sparta did in Marathon (490) and Salamis (480) and you could also mention Thermopalyae and teh other one in 480 which has slipped my mind - these contirbutions could included significant individuals (themistocles) the Spartan army - you could also look at the fact Sparta was not invovled in Marthon (thus how important were they to that victory - obviously not very)

know some primary quotes from thucydidies and herodotus - and some secondary ones - um you could use Bury and Meiggs - they r quiet good

but yeah - remember pargraphs NOT a big essay cause u will get confused - know what u want to discuss and the direction of ur essay and u'll be fine

Cab31

HSC
jessb87 said:
oh my god... what school do u go to? we had pretty much the same essay as this last year. except it was something along the lines of 'assess who was more responsible for the greek victory out of athens and sparta'. basically i would talk about WHAT they contributed rather than each battle kind of thing...e.g. Athens contributed naval power which helped them defeat the persians in salamis, whereas the spartans contributed to the greek morale needed for all the defeats. their strong hoplite force was feared throughout the ancient world and hence the presence of them was enough to make the greeks feel like they could win. etc etc.
their are some good writers on the subject too...try bury and meiggs

ms.cinderella

HSC
MissSavage29 said:
you could also mention Thermopalyae and teh other one in 480 which has slipped my mind
the battle of thermopylae & artemisium.. and the battles of mycale & plataea.

lol, this question looks awfully familiar!..

you could also mention that the greeks had great strategy (The Greeks attacked at the right moment; Spartans – dominant in land power, Atheniens – dominant in sea power; Strategic use of natural terrain to disempower the greater number of Persians; Marathon: Miltades aim was to get so close that the Persian archers would be inaffective)

leadership as already mentioned, is a good point. for eg, On Themistocles – (Thucydides) analyses how Themistocles was the most brilliant and innovative leader, whose ‘forecasts of the future were always more reliable’; it was he who ‘had the power to reach the right conclusion in matters’

unity was also another factor. The Congress of Isthmus, 481BC was an important unification element: 31 city states, willing to contribute to the defence of Greece – first time they unified themselves as ‘The Hellenes’; Plataea is often cited as one of the best examples of Greek unity. Approx 23 states had taken an oath of comradeship to fight together until the barbarian invaders were destroyed

the fact that the greeks had better weaponry & military skill adds to what contributed to their victory; the Greek hoplites were far more disciplined than their Persian counterparts and also better protected, with their bronze-visored helmets, solid breastplates, shields and javelins; Herodotus said the Greeks very skilful in use of their weapons and well practised military manoeuvres. Persians had no such skill and fought in disorder.

those are just a few things you could mention. =)

Last edited:

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
ok, so i told u to memorise the essay, and MissSavage says not to (well she did kill ancient history with a 99 :p)

basically, do what you feel comfortable with. For me (i could NEVER write na essay on the spot) and i felt that memorising whole essays would work for me. And it did. lol So basically, choose what suits you :)

its risky business doing what I did, so watch out for it!

Trigger189

XYLENE-FREE ZONE
HSC
Memorising essays just didnt work for me in ancient - i dont know how i could, considering there's so much content and so many possible questions - it was possible for english and drama, but I was better off just learning facts and quotes for ancient.

But for an assessment task - yeah, if u wanted to memorise and essay the best way to do it is take it paragraph at a time and don't try too hard otherwise it won't sink in. But I suggest your number one goal is to memorise good quotes and facts and figures. Particularly with history courses, memorising essays is just crazy!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)