In the HSC.. (1 Viewer)

YourLocalDumbAss

HSC
N/A
I came across this in the 2014 HSC Paper Q26, it doesn’t explicitly tell you which method to use (Substitution or Elimination), in the HSC would they explicitly tell you or can you pick one of them?85B4D3D4-1952-4719-B87F-335E7546D185.jpeg

icycledough

HSC
This wouldn't be as relevant to you as there is no calculus in Standard Math (I believe ... could be wrong), but with these types of questions, you're definitely able to use any method you are comfortable with. Just make sure as it's 3 marks, you show sufficient working out and your steps are logical. With some integration questions for example, they may directly tell you to use a specific method (substitution or partial fractions, you don't have to worry about that). I was just going to say with questions like that, it's crucial you use the method they give you, because this tests if you understand the entire syllabus.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
I agree, you are free to choose a method if one is not specified... but if one is specified, you are required to use it.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
So, in this case, any of the three methods will work, though I would go with elimination from a first glance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)