In Urgent Need Of Help! (1 Viewer)

windmill101

HSC
I need to know how to define powerplay in 350 words. I'm just not really sure what i need to write in it. I have written the dictionary definitions of power and power play but that doesnt nearly take up the 350 words!! The actual assignment is on the techniques the composer (George Orwell, 1984) uses to convey who has power and how they exercise it. I'm actually having trouble with the whole assignment but i'll just need help on the first question thus far :D PLEASE HELP!! THANX!!

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
For your first step, this will take some time. Do have a think about it. Brainstorm if you have to. You don't have to suddenly blurt out a whole sentence in one go. Jot down key words you think have to relate to powerplay. e.g. ambition, deception, power (duh, lol), control, manipulation, backstabbing, etc...and see how these key words relate to each other, or fit into context with each other. Craft your response, fine tune it, review it with peers and teachers. THEN it will look good :).

As for the next part, it is really quite easy. It is obvious who has power, and what they do to maintain that power. The hard part is showing how the composer uses techniques to show this power-wielding control over the populous.

Here, you don't always have to go the whole breath of the novel and go on a search-and-destory mission to find techniques. My suggestion is to focus on one or two scenes in the novel, and analyse those scenes very deeply. Remember, quality over quantity.

dion7789

Dodgy Pen Dealer
HSC
As mountain dew said start at it slowly...i did 1984 for the HSC this year and i didnt do as much as i would have liked to...definition for powerplay is along the lines of the use of power...in 1984 who has it? i argued the proles did but got shot down lol...go slowly and use the main characters of Winston, Parsons, O'Brien, Julia and the Proles not forgetting Big Brother and Goldstein. Do these people have power, if so what power do they have.

As for techniques used by Orwell the major ones i used were the use of doublethink and newspeak. Hope this helps in someway but yeah for definition as moutaindew said write down any words relating to power and the use/manipulation of it then go from there. Once you have a few words written down you will be amazed at how easy it is to write the whole definition.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)