Inconsistency of English marking (1 Viewer)

MATHmaster

HSC
N/A
Our school had our CSSA trials for English a couple of weeks ago and we got the results back this week. When we compared them to our previous marks in our assessments, they were very inconsistent. Most people, if not all, had a massive range when comparing their assessment marks to their trial marks. For example, some people who got 18/20 in FR/BR in their assessment achieved 8/20 in the trial. This happened across all sections of the paper. I asked them whether they changed much of their content during the exam or whether they answered the question properly. My response was that the people who previously did well did not change much content at all, yet still achieved a poor mark despite answering the question. These papers were marked externally. So, is it safe to assume that the teachers at our school are marking too easy? And if so, how should I prepare for the HSC?

ResourcesHSC

HSC
My trial marks were marked to HSC standard and my HSC marks reflected each English section trial mark almost invariably.

I think it may be a whole issue of avoiding complacency on the students' part, because moderation equalizes the state anyway.

JohnMaximus

shepherd of the people
HSC
Forget them. They could be lying, have not answered the question, managed time badly, any number of things.

The only thing that matters is how you performed.
If you come to the conclusion your teachers ARE marking easier than externals, you can always go to an external tutor and have them help you with essays- or just have a friend from another (reliable) school evaluate your work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)