Increases in SO2 and NOx evidence dot point (1 Viewer)

Tim035

HSC
Have most ppl just discussed this in the sense that evidently since the industrial revolution increases in power plants, motorised cars, smelting of ores etc has led to increases in these oxides in the atmosphere. This can be seen through the damage to the Black Forest in Germany due to acid rain and the hundreds of lakes in Canada with no living things in them.
Also in more recent times Infrared spectroscopy has actually allowed us to measure and confirm that these oxides are continuing to increase on a annual rate.

It is a assess dot point which could mean like 6-8 marker in an exam, I'm just wondering if anyone else has found any more specific studies or reports that have been documented that could be used to answer this dot point.
Also I have NEVER seen a question on the dot point for recent discoveries in transuranic elements, if I was a betting man thats where I'd have my money for friday.

mr coolerer

HSC
During a black out in canada and the US begining on 14 aug 2003 the entire electrical grid was shut down. During the time that there was no burning of coal in powerstations, the atmosphere became much clearer and cleaner as a result.

thats a pritty specific example and i rekon it would help to bring your mark up.

toadstooltown

1337 }{4><
HSC
N/A
Um, my notes inform me that only since the 1970s has the technology been around to measure quantitatively concentratinos of SO2, NOx as siginificant quantities can be just ppm. I think if they did ask it you'd have to talk about inferences made from the industrial revolution and effects from acid rain etc. to infer that an increase in such gasses has been happening since revolution but only able to measure specifics recently.

I'm also a bit worried abuot that recently produced elements thingy. I've learnt something abuot Uut or something, made from the decay of Uup-287 but it's pretty hard to remember eh. Also going over my named chemist in industry incase they bring up that one. After the different tact the 3u exam took, it'll be interesting to see what types of questions they ask in chem. Hoping for a Biopol® one!

mr coolerer

HSC
well what i said was just an example that you might like to drop in your answer, assuming the ask that question.

Recently produced elements, it all depends on what your definition of recent is, you could use plutonium or neptuneium, or any other trans uranic element. But if your really stuck, wikipedia knows everything.

bboyelement

HSC
toadstooltown said:
After the different tact the 3u exam took, it'll be interesting to see what types of questions they ask in chem. Hoping for a Biopol® one!
dont worry dude, i dont think they started making the chemistry exam after 3 unit. it should have been finished like ayes ago.

transuranic elements are made from reactors by bombarding with neutrons, the nucleus capture the neutron, undergo beta emission and produce new elements. while some are made in accelerators by accelerating postive particles to high speeds and collide with the nucleus. im pretty sure that is all expected of you. i mean nuclear chemistry is only a tiny bit of production ... so i wouldnt expect it to be a 4 or 6 mark question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)