individual and society (1 Viewer)

Ademir

HSC
i liked the essay. i basically used intimidation as a synonym for societal pressure

the locket thing was adaptable, but my story still sucked haha

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
bento said:
Yeah you must have pretty big writing. My essay is almost 2800 typed but I only used 14 pages hehe...no idea about my creative cos i did it on the spot lol (probably not a good idea) oh well. I agree though, it is weird how you have the energy to keep going, and how youre mind works so much quicker when youre under pressure. I always reproduce essays better under exam conditions than when i merely time myself at home. I'm glad though lol...I've been trying that chewing gum thing during exams...it seems like its working for concentration. ANy one else tried that?
Good luck for physics, yeah chewing gum increases blood flow to the brain, i thought u weren't allowed to have food and stuff during the exams.

joey...

HSC
I thought it was pretty good....weaved the locket thing into my prepared story easy, but ran out of time on the essay. I'm kinda anoyed cos I would have finished if the person in front hadn't been tapping their feet!!! Argh!

Last edited:

jaso272

HSC
HAHA, it took me ages to actually find the page with my questions on it!! i got all freaked out that i was missing something, and must have gone through it 5 times before i found it... and by that time, reading time was nearly up lol.

I feel kinda bad reading how everyone thought the essay question was good, i thought it was painfully difficult. The first part of it was fine, but then they threw on that extra little bit about intimidation.... WAT THE FRICK! That completely threw me off guard and nothing ended up flowing out like in the advanced papers. I sat there shaking my head trying to interlink freedom and intimidation within pride and prejudice.... ended up doing what most people here seem to say about the intimidation of social values and mores. Wrote 11 pages on that one....

The creative was alright, i didnt have a prepared response, but thats fine, mine ended up being a tragedy where the woman ended up killing herself.... had some good symbols and images of roses that appeared as blood rivers through her tears along the side of the footpath. wrote 8 pages for that... odd paper.

Not expecting a great mark, im realli counting on extension 2 english mark to boost uai :p oh well.

ENG ADV.............X
ENG EXT1........... X
ENG EXT2............X
BIOLOGY.............X
VIS ARTS
MATHEMATICS....X

Last edited:

MikeyMeh

HSC
I thought it was okay. It kinda threw me a little, just with the choice of wording in the critical response. Freedom was okay but the intidimation bit was slightly obscure. Nice to see that people sort of used it as a representation of societal oppression and stuff though. that's relieving! I wrote 23 pages for my essay, but I have colossal writing so it's not as good as it sounds haha.

For creative, I wrote 16 pages, and loved the locket symbol. Mine was like two parallel narratives running simultaneously, focusing on the poor and the wealthy respectively, and both possessed the same locket as they were brother and sister who had lost their parents, and one had been adopted into wealth, the other less fortunate circumstances. And then they ran into each other on a street and one of them dropped their locket, but they both reached for it and yeah...reunion haha. It was kinda lame.

I'm glad it's over!

darcski

HSC
I thought the wording, with "intimidation" was a bit off, but my teacher said afterwards that they will probably mark quite leniently because of that wording. It was pretty good for me, about 13 pages for the essay (about 8-10 words per line) and 15 for the creative. Had my creative prepared and just threw the locket in there... rich lady gives a poor orphan girl the locket and they have a chat about darwinism, loss of faith etc. haha
How does memorising an essay work? the questions can be so different...

cadylayne

HSC
I was a couple of pages into my third 8-page booklet for both - dunno how many pages that it but I have big writing.

The creative response was a gift, it slotted so well into my prepared one.
The essay was pretty good, only tricky thing was intimidation.

mallie89

Almost free!
HSC
darcski said:
I thought the wording, with "intimidation" was a bit off, but my teacher said afterwards that they will probably mark quite leniently because of that wording. It was pretty good for me, about 13 pages for the essay (about 8-10 words per line) and 15 for the creative. Had my creative prepared and just threw the locket in there... rich lady gives a poor orphan girl the locket and they have a chat about darwinism, loss of faith etc. haha
How does memorising an essay work? the questions can be so different...
Well thats comforting, about the lenient marking.

Memorising an essay? I don't know about everyone else, but I remember main ideas and quotes/analysis and then shove them into whatever question I get. Not quite the same as memorising an entire essay (that, I think, is suicide. What happens if they give you a question where the only relevance is the text you've used? lol)

I did this with the I&S question (which, btw I loved - who defined intimidation as society's conventions, and who defined it as how the individual pressured for change?)

jingelz

HSC
i dont remember whole chunks of essays but rather ideas, quotes etc..

i think i did preety welli the essay...everything just spilled out on the page

for my short story however i put a twist to th elocket cos it reminded me of the watches the men had dangling off a chain..my heroine was an individual trapped in "high society"so she ran away with a poorer dude and took the watch with her. she turned it into a locket. my story began and ended with a woman who is a descendant being given the locket and wondering wat is the story behind it.

do u think it would be ok?

nothing can be done now anyway..

kester89

HSC
well im hoping that its the size of all your writing that gives you so many pages. i think i wrote about 14 for my essay and 8 for my creative. but i have really small writing (fingers crossed that its ok). I did the same thing with the intimidation thing, which worked well. How many related texts did you guys do cuz i did two? Um my creative was good - i had my main ideas prepared and adapted it to the locket. I was an ex-minister imprisoned and looking down at his parents disapproving looks because he had gone against the norm...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)