N/A
Question 38

Theorem: For all integers positive integers

Proof: By induction on

A... Test

So, the result is true for

B... Let be a value of for which the result is true. That is,

We must now prove the result for . That is, we must prove that

So if the result is true for , then it must also be true for .

C... It follows from A and B by the process of mathematical induction that the result is true for all positive integers .

AbstractBlade

HSC
Question 38

Theorem: For all integers positive integers

A... Test

C... It follows from A and B by the process of mathematical induction that the result is true for all positive integers .
Thank you, this helps a lot.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Question 39

Theorem: For all integers

A... Test

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Question 40

Theorem: cot x - cot 2x = cosec 2x

Proof:

Note that this result can be generalised:

The theorem that we are given can then be solved used telescoping series, without the need for induction, though an induction proof is also valid:

Theorem: For all positive integers

Proof without induction:

Proof by induction (on ):

A... Test

AbstractBlade

HSC
Question 40

Theorem: cot x - cot 2x = cosec 2x

Proof:

Note that this result can be generalised:

The theorem that we are given can then be solved used telescoping series, without the need for induction, though an induction proof is also valid:

Theorem: For all positive integers

Proof without induction:

Proof by induction (on ):

A... Test

If you were able to help with another question it would be greatly appreciated. It's question 31.

Thank you

Attachments

Qeru

HSC
If you were able to help with another question it would be greatly appreciated. It's question 31.

Thank you
Not CM but:
(i):

(ii): Let: . Since x is a positive integer, the minimum value of x must be 1. The minimum value of f(x) is: as f(x) is clearly an increasing function. Therefore: which implies: from part i and rearranging gives the desired result.

(iii)

Substitute into the result found in ii.

Therefore:

AbstractBlade

HSC
Not CM but:
(i):

(ii): Let: . Since x is a positive integer, the minimum value of x must be 1. The minimum value of f(x) is: as f(x) is clearly an increasing function. Therefore: which implies: from part i and rearranging gives the desired result.

(iii)

Therefore:

thank you
absolute legend

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Not CM but:
(i):

(iii)

Therefore:

I certainly agree with @Qeru in general. However, the question declares that is a positive real, not a positive integer... it is that must be an integer. Thus, Qeru's proof based on being an integer and being at least 1 is flawed.

Further, I would be careful in part (ii) in using a phrase like "clearly an increasing function." Examiners generally prefer the obvious to be explained / justified without asserting something is clear. Further, since an increasing function can be defined as:

is increasing on if

then the lack of any derivative in the answer could become a problem.

The approach I would use in this question is:

I can define

and

in both cases where and ,

and know from part (i) that under these conditions.

I seek to demonstrate that and will do this by instead establishing that has this property:

Case 1:

Case 2:

I can change the "" term in into distinct ones (ie ) and then rearrange to get

Case 2(a):

Case 2(b):

So, case 1 gives when and case 2 gives if and thus for .

And, then, since throughout this domain, .

Paradoxica

-insert title here-
HSC
I certainly agree with @Qeru in general. However, the question declares that is a positive real, not a positive integer... it is that must be an integer. Thus, Qeru's proof based on being an integer and being at least 1 is flawed.

Further, I would be careful in part (ii) in using a phrase like "clearly an increasing function." Examiners generally prefer the obvious to be explained / justified without asserting something is clear. Further, since an increasing function can be defined as:

is increasing on if

then the lack of any derivative in the answer could become a problem.
Personally I don't see a problem with this, but you would have to prove that a for f a strictly increasing function, f applied to a strictly increasing sequence is a strictly increasing sequence. However, I feel like this lemma has been stated without proof in past HSC questions, so I don't know.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Personally I don't see a problem with this, but you would have to prove that a for f a strictly increasing function, f applied to a strictly increasing sequence is a strictly increasing sequence. However, I feel like this lemma has been stated without proof in past HSC questions, so I don't know.
If is a positive integer then @Qeru's proof is fine and does strictly increase from a minimum of provided . If then throughout its domain and the final result is trivial.

However, and does not strictly increase on for integers .

Consider when :

Now is a parabola and has a minimum of but is decreasing on .

Qeru's proof does not run into such cases because there is no integer below 1 in the domain but, as the question defines as real, the fact that

(to take one example) makes the assertion that strictly increases false.

Edited to add: The difference between being a positive real as against a positive integer is essential to the last part of the question. The substitution where is basically pointless if is required to be an integer because it amounts to requiring that . Any other case will have as a factor of and can thus be reduced to an equivalent case.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)