Industrial Chemistry (Equilibrium model) (1 Viewer)

joshuajspence

HSC
Did anyone else write an experiment instead of a model???

Do you think I will get 0/6 because i wrote an experiment? I used the thiocyanate test for iron (III)

jah_lu

HSC
N/A
yes see industrial chem topic for more information
cbb retyping it

dwatt

HSC
I did the same - did the reaction of 2No2 <-> N204

There is a good chance we will get zero. But I have been told by an ex-marker that perhaps, depending on the criteria, it will still be possible to get some marks. If you demontrate correct awareness of a procedure regarding controls/method etc. you can gain a mark for that, for example. The question does ask for a model, but it also asks for risks/procedures.

Who knows, we will probably never find out. It would be a shame to get zero, I wrote a beautiful answer about that reaction!

Neha Sharma

HSC
umm it asked for a first hand investigation that you performed to model equilibrium. In 2002 paper there was a very similar question. i think when they ask for a first hand investigation, they ask for an experiment you did in class. Well i did the cobalt chloride one, as that was the only thing i could think up of. I think if you explained your experiment and answered the question you will get the marks. well i hope...

ssglain

HSC
I thought about making up some ball-stick "model" since I don't remember doing anything other than watch a video of people dancing. Then I looked at part ii) which asked for a risk involved. I considered saying people might be stupid enough to swallow the balls and suffocate themselves but it seemed a stupid idea.

So no, I didn't do that. I wrote about the dichromate/chromate equilibrium. Let's hope that BOS will accept experiments.

jah_lu

HSC
N/A
Neha Sharma said:
umm it asked for a first hand investigation that you performed to model equilibrium. In 2002 paper there was a very similar question. i think when they ask for a first hand investigation, they ask for an experiment you did in class. Well i did the cobalt chloride one, as that was the only thing i could think up of. I think if you explained your experiment and answered the question you will get the marks. well i hope...
in 02 they asked for "a first hand investigation involving an equilibrium REACTION"
this yr they were testing a completely different dotpoint
its like them asking for how to make a standard solution and you answer how to do a titration
similar in some regards but still completely different dotpoints

joshuajspence

HSC
jah_lu said:
in 02 they asked for "a first hand investigation involving an equilibrium REACTION"
this yr they were testing a completely different dotpoint
its like them asking for how to make a standard solution and you answer how to do a titration
similar in some regards but still completely different dotpoints
i just disagree with part ii of the question... i see absolutely no risk (at least one thats worth a worth) with using a model. I think this part of the question through a lot of people off.

shortgeekfreak

HSC
The wanted a model, not an actualm reaction. Though if you wrote an actual reaction they might give you some marks for the risk assesment part or as a carry-on.

I made up a prac about people dancing in pairs and singally and switching partners. It sounded stupid but it IS a model. I can't wait to see the markers notes for that question.

dwatt

HSC
Part ii) got me as well. I was aware of the model dot point, but the only thing I could remember was watching some stupid video with people opening and closing umbrellas.

So when I saw "risk", the more dangerous equilibrium analysis we did in class sprung to mind, and I think I subconsciously ignored the word "model".

We will still get some marks...I hope as well.

And by the way, what did the people who did models say the risks were???

joshuajspence

HSC
shortgeekfreak said:
The wanted a model, not an actualm reaction. Though if you wrote an actual reaction they might give you some marks for the risk assesment part or as a carry-on.

I made up a prac about people dancing in pairs and singally and switching partners. It sounded stupid but it IS a model. I can't wait to see the markers notes for that question.
i wish i had actually performed a first-hand investigation that modelled an equilibrium... ive never performed such an investigation. all i had was the beads model from surfing chemistry. but i foolishly skipped over that page thinking it was simply to help people understand what an equilibrium was... didnt even realise it could be tested. whoops!

emilymcs

HSC
shortgeekfreak said:

is that you chloe?!!?!?!?!?! ahahahahahaha.

emilymcs

HSC
dwatt said:
Part ii) got me as well. I was aware of the model dot point, but the only thing I could remember was watching some stupid video with people opening and closing umbrellas.

So when I saw "risk", the more dangerous equilibrium analysis we did in class sprung to mind, and I think I subconsciously ignored the word "model".

We will still get some marks...I hope as well.

And by the way, what did the people who did models say the risks were???
In my model we were throwing around little beanbags. So I said that the bean bags could hit beakers off tables and shit. So lame, haha.

jah_lu

HSC
N/A
lol we had pipettes so i just said they are fragile and might break and cut you

emilymcs

HSC
Haha if you think you did shit in this question at least you didnt leave out the entire NaOH question. My mate left it completely blank. There is 6 marks gone like that hahaha.

katiieeeeee

BOS Member
HSC
i don't think you will get any marks for the first part if you didn't write a model . you will get follow-on for your risk hopefully
i wrote about dividing the class in two, one side getting 2 balls the other side getting 10.. if each side simultaneously throws 2 balls to the other side, an 'equilibrium' will be reached ... the risk being someone might get a ball in the eye . haha ..

dwatt

HSC
People can rest easy. A person I know was told by a marker that those drawing up the marking criteria would take this into account. Should be all right.

fractured

HSC
joshuajspence said:
Did anyone else write an experiment instead of a model???

Do you think I will get 0/6 because i wrote an experiment? I used the thiocyanate test for iron (III)
If you kept the paper, you should be able to find the corresponding dot point. To model equilibrium you needed to perform a practical. So, first you needed to describe the practical then answer the question directly.

fractured

HSC
the key word it 'model'. with my class, we had set up two volumetric cylinders, of different sizes; and used two pippettes, of different sizes and allocated to the cylinder to transfer water accross the cylinders.
then the class was asked to set conditions and then evaluate the model, with consideration of the limitations of the model to demonstrate a quilibrim reaction.
the dot point was set to be completed as a part of homework.

joeyann

HSC
ssglain said:
I thought about making up some ball-stick "model" since I don't remember doing anything other than watch a video of people dancing. Then I looked at part ii) which asked for a risk involved. I considered saying people might be stupid enough to swallow the balls and suffocate themselves but it seemed a stupid idea.

So no, I didn't do that. I wrote about the dichromate/chromate equilibrium. Let's hope that BOS will accept experiments.
yeh, i wrote about the dichromate/chromate one too... if it asked for a first-hand investigation it definitely means write about the experiment you did in class and it was a model because you could qualitatively see how equilibrium works... the only other experiment i can think of that we did in class that models equilibrium is using pipettes to transfer water from one measuring cylinder to another and i cant think of any risk factors associated with that, so i doubt it referred to that experiment...

well, good luck fellow chemists... dw, i totally stuffed this exam so that boosts a couple hundred of you up one more rank...

there goes my band 6...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)