Info On Macleay? (1 Viewer)

*rUsTy*

HSC
Hey, I'm just after some basic information about Macleay College, in particular the Journalism Diploma, from the perspectives of people who have experienced it first hand? I have read a few comments saying some days are quite long and you get quite a lot of assessments. In also read that it's quite expensive and that not many people who go, use the fee help option.

Just after what hours and days there are in a week. A little more info on the Work Experience you must find. And also if it is actually worth the $17000 or so that it costs.

Any other info would be great as I am considering it over a University course next year.

HSC
can someone please explain to me just how expensive the journalism course is all up and compare it to the costs of UTS and others? i'm considering macleay college after i've done my hsc as i've heard great things of their course. thanks

*rUsTy*

HSC
OK, I'm going this year and I can only give you this year's prices, they may go up next year...If you want to study full-time it's $4475 per term (4 Terms) plus $650 Showreel fee (Portfolio) and also $300 to apply (Non-refundable).If you wanted to study it part time, it costs $2240 per term (8 terms).As for UTS, I don't know much about that Uni and it's fees sorry.

HSC
*rUsTy* said:
OK, I'm going this year and I can only give you this year's prices, they may go up next year...If you want to study full-time it's $4475 per term (4 Terms) plus $650 Showreel fee (Portfolio) and also $300 to apply (Non-refundable).If you wanted to study it part time, it costs $2240 per term (8 terms).As for UTS, I don't know much about that Uni and it's fees sorry.
omg, wow.....that's alot of money. How do you afford that? Parentals? Thanks for the help btw

*rUsTy*

HSC
Haha I wish...no they have Fee Help which is exactly the same as HECS, just more interest. Although it doesn't cover the $300 application fee or the other text book/USB/Showreel fees. So yeah, you start paying it off when you make I think $40k a year.

SlipStream

HSC
Macleay is good if you are impatient and want a fast-tracked avenue into the industry you're interested in. I studied journalism there in 2006 and it got my foot in the door, now I'm a journalist and third in charge of Australia's biggest car racing magazine.

I will admit, though, it wasn't just the course that got me through. I kept an eye out for opportunities and seized them the second they appeared.

chilena4life

HSC
the BA course at macleay is completely different to the diploma course the previous year but in a very good way...i found that the diploma course is less about thinking and more about doing and the degree course is more about thinking....which is great...at the end of the diploma i didnt feel ready to enter the workforce as it all was so quick so yeah the degree i think will mature me and give me the allround professionalism/education i need to be ready for work....although thinking about the fees is excruciating considering probably 80% of people get their fees paid by their parents....

brookeemma

HSC
hey, ive just discovered macleay today via the school careers advisor - but just wondering, is it a respectable/recognised place to study? don't take offence, im just not very knowledgable on these things and a guy in my year made a comment...

and is it worth doing the one year diploma and paying the same amount as a uni course (eg bachelor of journalism at UOW)?

[im hating having to think about 'after school' when ive got half yearlies next week :|]

*rUsTy*

HSC
Well, I've been at Macleay for 7 weeks now and I must say Im really, really enjoying it. From what I gathered, Macleay is indeed highly regarded by employers (apparently it has a 94% success rate with gaining employment). Don't get me wrong, there isn't anything spectacular about the way it looks but the course is extremely practical compared to a uni course. Our lecturers continuously tell us that by already having hands on experience with writing stories, computer software, experience on camera and on radio... we would look far more attractive to them than a student out of uni with a great deal of theory knowledge, yet next to no experience.

But hey, I've only been here for barely a term, maybe someone whose graduated can be more helpful.

bundyrd

HSC
I attended macleay straight out of school in 2005 and received a diploma in business (sports management). I really wish i researchd my options more because it was probably the biggest mistake of my life.

The reason I went there was because i was lazy in year 12 and didn't get the marks i wanted. After graduating i realised that it is not a reputable education institution, especially in the eyes of employers. The only decent courses that will get you respect in any field are from universities or tafe.

Macleay promotes that they have a high employment rate after graduation, but they don't mention that this employment is rarely in the professional fields in which the people studied. I know of four people who after graduating were working in call centers, they too had regrets of going to the over-priced and poor quality institution.

After having trouble getting a job, I enrolled full-time in Bachelor of Business degree and only got 1 semesters credit for 1 years study (shows the quality of macleay). I'm in my last semester now and already have a great job lined up.

You really should research the alternative pathways into university courses, as they are available for most degrees. A macleay diploma is worthless in any industry and is almost the cost of a 3 year degree.

*rUsTy*

HSC
I think that's taking it a little too far. I study Journalism there and have already talked to many professionals in the industry as well as listening to guest speakers. Not only have they heard of Macleay and regard it highly, they also stress that a degree from University isn't necessarily the most important qualification.

I can't comment on the Sports Management course personally but as far as Journalism goes, I think what Macleay offers is very appealing to employers as we have a head start in experience. I, for example talked to the News Director of Sky News and despite holding such a high position, did not even complete uni himself.

bundyrd

HSC
If you ever study at university you will notice the massive difference in education standard and quality. In regard to experience, nearly all uni courses have a course relevant work experience pre-requisite to be completed each year and in addition the high majority work part-time jobs throughout the course duration.

So if you have completed a macleay diploma and are competing against a person with a 3-year uni degree with far greater work experience and a stronger education, they will nearly always get the job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)