institutionalised inequality AND just law (1 Viewer)

mermer

HSC
hi, everyone, yet again i have a practice hsc question...

how would i explain the existence of institutionalised inequality while also refering to the characteristics of a just law (enforcable, aceptable, discoverable) ???

i know what each means (institutionalised inequality AND characteristics of a just law ) but i don't get how i'm meant to link them together :|

any help would be veryyyy appreciated :D

alex991

HSC
a just law has 5 parts
- Human rights
- Equality
- Equity
-Fairness
- Acces to Justice

The only way i can see that you can do it is talk about access to justice, and how it is floored i.e middle class not being able to afford proper legal representation.

hope that helps

ccc123

HSC
Think about the different defintions of equality (formal, equality before the law, equality of opportunity and equality of outcomes) and how these relate to institutionalised ineqaulity. Formal equality before the law to a large extent conceals institutionalised inequality.

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
think about this:

you know what a just law is... we in australia are supposed to have one (debatable)

but if you want to go to the H.court- how much money are u willing to spend? an old lady once took a company to court- it costed her 200k. she actually died before the verdict was given- or i think she dropped it because he was then in an elderly home.

imagine you're an Aboriginal person or you're a kid without informed guardians. how easy would it be to pick on you and get away with it when you don't know you're rights.

A just legal system does not necessarily bring about equality to all the people. In fact treating everyone equally does the opposite because not everyone is the same

take for example women- most of our laws are drafted by men! so it's not hard to think that the law is biased towards them. given that most of our law is also inherited, unless it is revolutionised, then it will have the same prejudices that existed in previous systems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)