Internal Ranks External Marks (1 Viewer)

anonhello

HSC
If you ranked 20-30 out of 120 people for a subject (maths advanced) and your cohort performed well in the externals
would you be able to get a band 6? And if you did rank 30 in internals but obtained the mark of someone who ranked 15
in externals would you still get the 30th ranked mark and not the average?

D94

HSC
N/A
1. Maybe. Your assessment mark will depend on the highest/lowest exam marks and how you performed at school. We just can't tell, but I'd say there's a good chance.

2. I think someone has mislead you. You don't get the mark of your rank. If you're 30th, you don't get the 30th highest exam mark for your assessment mark. That's not how it works. It's based on your school assessment performance, and your cohort's performance as a group. You keep the mark you achieve in the exam, that can never be "taken away" from you. Your moderated assessment mark is the mark which is derived from your school marks and HSC exam marks, and how you perform relative to other students. Your moderated assessment mark reflects how you went in school, not the HSC exam. But this mark is aligned such that you can fairly compare your mark to someone else in a different school. This moderated assessment mark is averaged with your HSC exam mark.

aceer

HSC
so if the rest of your cohort does worse than you, they drag your internal mark down?

anonhello

HSC
1. Maybe. Your assessment mark will depend on the highest/lowest exam marks and how you performed at school. We just can't tell, but I'd say there's a good chance.

2. I think someone has mislead you. You don't get the mark of your rank. If you're 30th, you don't get the 30th highest exam mark for your assessment mark. That's not how it works. It's based on your school assessment performance, and your cohort's performance as a group. You keep the mark you achieve in the exam, that can never be "taken away" from you. Your moderated assessment mark is the mark which is derived from your school marks and HSC exam marks, and how you perform relative to other students. Your moderated assessment mark reflects how you went in school, not the HSC exam. But this mark is aligned such that you can fairly compare your mark to someone else in a different school. This moderated assessment mark is averaged with your HSC exam mark.
THANK YOU SO MUCH! wow I was really stressed out about the second part, so if I do extremely well in the externals my overall average might be higher than the person ranked above me if they didn't do as well?

D94

HSC
N/A
so if the rest of your cohort does worse than you, they drag your internal mark down?
Probably (it did happen with one of my subjects), like you might be expecting your cohort to achieve exam marks between 80 and 95, but if you happen to stuff up at school in one assessment, and your cohort performs relatively badly in the HSC exams, like 70s are the lower marks, then what could have been an internal mark of say 83, will now be 73, which does make a big difference. So that's why it's so important for your cohort to do well in the HSC exams.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! wow I was really stressed out about the second part, so if I do extremely well in the externals my overall average might be higher than the person ranked above me if they didn't do as well?
Definitely. You can do better than rank 1, given the right set of marks. Whilst you can't do much about the assessment mark now (as in, where you sit in your cohort can't be changed now), you can get high exam marks and achieve better than others.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)