International law and state compliance is confusing me!! (1 Viewer)

muffinscribble

HSC
if the UN Security Council has the power to 'restore international peace and security' (which makes it the strongest body of the UN) then why has it allowed for so many human rights violations to occur? like child labour, human trafficking, atrocities occurring in North Korea..?

what i don't understand is that there are so many international laws and treaties protecting human rights, and yet there are even more violations.. why doesn't the international community do something about it? My questions may sound naiive so i apologise but i really don't understand this topic yet so please help. I know countries have to recognise a jurisdiction for it to be liable to certain international laws because of state sovereignty, but if the UN security council has the power to intervene in countries regardless of whether they're party to the UN or not and whether they consent then why has it allowed for so many human rights violations to occur?

InsoulvencyReaper

Existential Crisis
HSC
5 main countries have the right to Veto; republic of china, Russia, USA, France and UK.

They all have to agree to intervene. The veto power gives them the right to disagree to intervention.

Intervention can cause a range of issues and in such an advanced world in terms of technology and communication - often they try diplomatic ways.

This may not be very effective but it's better than military intervention. That could cause a Third World War. They have to be careful...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)