Interstate and International Admissions - updated (1 Viewer)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
It seems that so far, all discussion has centred on the UNSW medical school. I highly respect the knowledge of UNSW students, with many of my close friends studying there. However, with the increasing length of the UMAT over the years and increasing competition with more students trying to jump onto the Med/Dent/Physio bandwagon, the competition is indeed 'hotting up'...

Many of you may not have considered at this stage studying interstate. However, as Alvin (pointdexter) has mentioned elsewhere in this forum, you should apply for different universities as a 'backup'. I found that his words hold very true for a high school student facing stiff competition, as I did so last year. There may be many misconceptions you hold about studying interstate so I'm here to tell you that it's not at all so bad as it sounds.

I applied for UNSW, Newcastle, Monash, WA, Tasmiania, Melbourne, and with a dream that I'd be accepted into any. So acheiving an okay UMAT score and UAI, I plonked my gluteus maximus down at the first four universities and told them stuff. I was sad to discover that I was not accepted into UNSW, but I did get a letter from Monash. The problem was whether to accept the offer or stay with B. Eng (Biomed) at Usyd or ditch uni all together and go into theological college and get a B.Div.

So I talked it over with my parents.

CONS
-LIVING AWAY FROM FAMILY AND FRIENDS. Homesickness to the max
-High living costs associated with self-care
-Little or no initial support networks
-Looking after yourself, including budgeting
-Temptation to play around and not study
-Hassle moving between cities
-Moving all of your stuff. Trust me, despite having a checklist you will have to go back to your home several times to grab stuff you forget

PROS
-New friends
-Learn to live independently and tasks you will require as an adult
-Don't have your parents' prying eyes on you all the time
-Experience new culture, visit attractions, learn history etc. In all a new experience you won't forget, and certainly a refreshing change from the city you've been living in for so long
-Centrelink Youth Allowance and Rent Assistance certainly helps!
-You get the degree you want instead of worrying about transfers or graduate courses

In terms of difficulty of acceptance and offers to other students, I found that UNSW and UNCLE were on a par, followed by Melbourne, then Monash, then Adelaide and UQ. Therefore as you can see, you don't have to limit your options to the most prestigious and geographically convenient university.

If you have any further queries, please don't hesitate to contact Alvin (pointdexter, studying at University of Adelaide) or me regarding our interstate experience. Furthermore, you may want to peruse Alvin's interstate guide (excellent, IMHO) posted elsewhere on the forum for the procedures you should undertake.

Good luck!

edit: I have recently come across an excellent site which provides a list of all medical schools regitstered internationally. This may be a good option for those who do not gain entry into an Australian medical school or are looking to broaden their perspective on international health. Of course, the disadvantages are that the costs may be very high but it seems as though there are some medical courses which are substantially cheaper than Bond University's. Another disadvantage is that most international universities other than those in New Zealand are not recognized by the AMC so registration with the respective state medical boards cannot be guaranteed, and this is dependent on final exam results.

An advantage is that some of these courses are very short (even as short a four years) and scholarships are sometimes provided- high acheivers may be happy to hear about this.

http://imed.ecfmg.org/search.asp

Last edited:

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Whats a B. Div? :|

Thanks Wilson :) I think no matter what offer i'll get, i'm off to take it. I'm not letting a good chance for entry into denitstry or medicine pass me by. Especially when i've worked hard for it :)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
kimmeh: exactly! remember the stuff i told you before, you'll be right.

melbournia: how is sydney at the moment? enjoying college life? it's been awhile eh~~ by the way there are so many people from melbourne high at monash medicine...the names casey, robert, aashish and dilshan sound familiar?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
I applied for UNSW, Adelaide, Newcastle, Monash, WA, Tasmiania, Melbourne, and with a dream that I'd be accepted into any. So acheiving an okay UMAT score and UAI, I plonked my gluteus maximus down at the first five universities and told them stuff. I was sad to discover that I was not accepted into UNSW, but I did get a letter from Adel, UWA and then a call from Adel. The problem was whether to accept the offer or stay with BComm(Acturial studies/law) at MQ or Dental @ adel or griffith or WA or defer for a year and work. :p

i think we had the same feelings wilson.. actualli im not eligble for youth n rent allowance.. so im on a loan.. but its a small one luckily.. i work 2 jobs (18hrs) to make ends meet too

adel cost of living is cheap.. nice.. and quite too.. wats clayton like? i only went there for interview ..so 3 hrs..

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
My Monash and Adelaide interview offers were cancelled, and I've since found that I'm ineligible at Melbourne, UNSW and Tasmania. Thus I have two shots this year: UWA and Newcastle. The whole NRSL process for UWA is like the GAMSAT (ugh) GPA calculation too, it's like a calculus assignment without the calculus.

I agree with Alvin and Wilson though. Like with any university experience, how much you enjoy yourself depends on your mentality. Some people find moving interstate to study a real drag, but I say it's because they're not looking at all the stuff they've gained.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
the 1st few weeks its hard.. emotionally...
but u become a lil harden.. lik a stick..
and then u start work and all ure crap is left behind.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
Sydney is good, college is awesome.
i'm glad to see you've adjusted well

wats clayton like
clayton is a hole, and far away from melbourne cbd. I guess the only half interesting thing here is a club x. Good environment for studying I guess.

Thus I have two shots this year: UWA and Newcastle.
better than none! go for it!!!

the 1st few weeks its hard.. emotionally...
but u become a lil harden.. lik a stick..
true dat

inasero

Reborn
HSC
you become a theologian or a minister of a church...

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Or a lay missionary, either through religious education (think scripture classes) or religion-based social work. Catholics with theological qualifications usually become full time Catechists, Religious (Monks, Nuns, Friars etc) or Priests. They may also bring religious service to other fields, such as Chaplaincy.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
lolz.. club x eh? man thats weird... but im guessing social things are more student orientated then cos here u end up with 30-sumthing year olds at 1st yr med parties :S

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Lexicographer said:
Or a lay missionary, either through religious education (think scripture classes) or religion-based social work. Catholics with theological qualifications usually become full time Catechists, Religious (Monks, Nuns, Friars etc) or Priests. They may also bring religious service to other fields, such as Chaplaincy.
what do you do to do that ? Join the church? isnt that what you were thinking?
Mormons? theyre weird.. they chase after you sometimes. esp in cabramatta :s

inasero

Reborn
HSC
i dont that they would chase after you...although i must say they are very enthusiastic about what they do, and they like other people to know that that is the case. Also, their teachings are not in keeping with the doctrine of mainstream christian religions in that they added an extra book to the bible, even though in revelations it specifically says that "whomsoever adds or takes away from the Bible shall lose their life...", or at least something to that effect...but i digress, now back to the medicine!

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
I have a bit to add, but I don't want this thread to go off topic so I won't. Some of the things in the two posts above are inaccurate though.

Anyway, Newcastle has released their application information for 2005, go to their website to download a copy.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
yeah cmon tell ussss!! might as well splurge on your 5000th post here

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
5000!!! :D

Now, onto business. I have a feeling that I did better this year than last, especially in §III. I only had to guess two of the eleven shapes, and maybe three of the... er... twenty-nine? sequences. The rest were pretty damn easy. I might just pull off a >270 aggregate (that was my goal for this year).

Fingers crossed. :)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
well, if i can do it, you can also do so!
im glad you did so well in the third section...must be my secret weapon *wink*
i guessed much more than that and i got 94, so you can chill now

dawma88

Dance jew dance!!!
HSC
N/A
interstate help

hi, i just wanted to ask anyone of u guys about interstate uni's

firstly, i may go interstate and i was wondering how i can support myself if i leave home since i dont get youth allownce so wat do i do? ( get a job interstate, get a loan/ etc)

btw quote by pointdexter "actualli im not eligble for youth n rent allowance.. so im on a loan" wat sort of loan??? and for wat period e.g. semester, year ??

one general question for all med students: can u guys pay of HECS after u have completed ur degree and start working or do u have to take a loan?

thanx in advance

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)