intro/Body Paragraph length for an ESSAY!! (1 Viewer)

Mr_Kap

HSC
In Module A - 1984 and Metropolis (the comparative study and context module), my introduction is 170 words. Is that too much? What have other students done in Module A (regardless of texts) this year?

Mr_Kap

HSC
Re: Introduction length for an ESSAY!!

BUMP!

C'mon how hard is it to say the words - too long, OR It's fine. Please guys/girls, what do you think.

Flop21

HSC

I dunno, I've heard teachers say they like long intros, some say they like short intros. But most agree it's the most important part of your essay and should be great.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A

As long as your thesis is soild, and you introduce your texts everything will be all good.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

Your key focus should always be whether you are answering the question, not how long your introduction is, although 170 words is quite a bit longer than recommended-I usually recommend 150 words max, but if you are answering the question and you can finish writing your entire essay during the exam time limit, then length shouldn't matter too much.

Mr_Kap

HSC

Your key focus should always be whether you are answering the question, not how long your introduction is, although 170 words is quite a bit longer than recommended-I usually recommend 150 words max, but if you are answering the question and you can finish writing your entire essay during the exam time limit, then length shouldn't matter too much.
Alright Thanks.

But, yeh I can definitely cut around 40 words from my introduction making it 130 words.

Mr_Kap

HSC
What about the length of body paragraphs? I have 4 body paragraphs and One of my body paragraphs in module A is 342 words, and the other 3 are around 170 words. Is this bad? Should I shorten the first paragraph and make them all around 210 words per paragraph?

Last edited:

atargainz

HSC
yeah, making them all 210 should be fine. I reckon you should write more though like 250 a paragraph if you can write that fast, my teachers encouraging me to write 1.2-1.3k lol.

crowley926

HSC
Yes it seems too much for an intro ---- what information are you including in it?

I keep mine 100 or less which is what my teacher has told us to do

What about the length of body paragraphs? I have 4 body paragraphs and One of my body paragraphs in module A is 342 words, and the other 3 are around 170 words. Is this bad? Should I shorten the first paragraph and make them all around 210 words per paragraph?
You should always have paragraphs at relatively equal length otherwise you're not showing a balanced/good understanding of all your texts.

I also have 4 body paragraphs and each is 200 or less (again, which is what my teacher has recommended) which gives me room to integrate the exam question into my essay. My Mod A was sitting at 998 words and I still got full marks for it so as always with English, quality > quantity (not to toot my own horn)

However in saying that, there's nothing wrong with writing more if you physically are able to as long as you are answering the question and have good control of your ideas in a cohesive response.

Mr_Kap

HSC
Yes it seems too much for an intro ---- what information are you including in it?

I keep mine 100 or less which is what my teacher has told us to do

You should always have paragraphs at relatively equal length otherwise you're not showing a balanced/good understanding of all your texts.

I also have 4 body paragraphs and each is 200 or less (again, which is what my teacher has recommended) which gives me room to integrate the exam question into my essay. My Mod A was sitting at 998 words and I still got full marks for it so as always with English, quality > quantity (not to toot my own horn)

However in saying that, there's nothing wrong with writing more if you physically are able to as long as you are answering the question and have good control of your ideas in a cohesive response.
alright thx. Yeh my intro is 124 words now, so my 4 body paragraphs are like 205 words each (give or take) and i can't write very fast so i have to put around a 1000 word limit on my essays.

PhysicsMaths

HSC
In Module A - 1984 and Metropolis (the comparative study and context module), my introduction is 170 words. Is that too much? What have other students done in Module A (regardless of texts) this year?
way too much. You're probably including sentences that are not needed. From the essays that i've read, you can make a strong, compelling introduction in under 100 words.

Mr_Kap

HSC
way too much. You're probably including sentences that are not needed. From the essays that i've read, you can make a strong, compelling introduction in under 100 words.
My intro is 124 words now. Depending on question can cut things to make it 100 words.

crowley926

HSC
alright thx. Yeh my intro is 124 words now, so my 4 body paragraphs are like 205 words each (give or take) and i can't write very fast so i have to put around a 1000 word limit on my essays.
Oh nice yeah that seems much more doable now :D and same I write slowly so I always write the bare minimum needed

Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)