Investment Banking Position (1 Viewer)

mserica

HSC
Okay... I need your thoughts,

I am currently in the process of obtaining a position within an Investment Bank and would like to know what others believe working in an investment bank would be like, eg. culture, performance etc

I have heard the sterotype, hard, fast, cruel and full of men, though I dont work in the industry and would like to more about it.

I need to finalise my decision by Friday...(any thoughts)

By the way, its a HR Management position.

X

xeuyrawp

Yikes. Sounds like a serious job!

Good luck with it. It's my life goal to never have a real job.

[/archaeologist]

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
mserica said:
Okay... I need your thoughts,

I am currently in the process of obtaining a position within an Investment Bank and would like to know what others believe working in an investment bank would be like, eg. culture, performance etc

I have heard the sterotype, hard, fast, cruel and full of men, though I dont work in the industry and would like to more about it.

I need to finalise my decision by Friday...(any thoughts)

By the way, its a HR Management position.
hey babe thats awsome congrats on having the opportunnity =)

Hrrm I think it'de be a challange but I'de do it if I was you.. who knows where it could take you?

Full of men? lol and thats a problem because? ... hehe joking of course :p

Nah im not sure babe.... im sure it would be a little intimidating at first.. but isn't that with everything new?

dracover

HSC
actually HR is like usually full of women. at least at where i work it is.

culture wise i know in investment banking (non hr areas the actual investment areas) its like full work non stop not much socialing. they're hrs are long and usually its a short term are high turn ova. pplz leave in their 30-40 for more relaxed positions elsewhere. but money is big. so i expect u to meet pplz in there like that.

i rem wen i was applying for grad positions previously i went for some IBs and their questions led me to believe that they're after pplz who can work on their own a lot hard working...work work work. now u might be into that kinda stuff but i know that was the reason i didnt go. then again ur in HR so it could be different but i doubt the culture would change very much across departments.

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
Be prepared to sell your life, soul and moral values... hahaha, just kidding.

I think working in HR at an investment bank would be somewhat different to being a floor trader or an analyst— which is where the hard, cruel, fast, Gordon Gekko "greed is good" stereotype comes from.

You might still be expected to work hard and there could be some pressure, but that comes with any decent, high-paying, pen-pushing job.

I say give it a go; whatever doesn't kill you can only make you stronger, right?

You can always quit and go work somewhere else... and if that fails, there's always heroin.

Luke.

bento

HSC
My brother works in an investment bank (Universal Bank of Switzerland) and is an Analyst so I can give you a run down.

Cons:
* Yes not many women
* Minimum working hours per day 9am- 1am, although he gets on average through the week 4-5 hours sleep per night.
*No weekends. Saturdays are around 8hour working days. It's not just an 'obligation' to work but a necessity - they email you to come into work. Sundays are generally 5 or 6 hours of work.
* No public holidays - okay save for Christmas...well most of the day anyway.
*Stats from Financial Review (which are evident in the workplace): 90% of investment bankers cannot get into relationships because they have no time.
* They are very prestigious - only take graduates from University of Sydney - law graduates are always good.
* Extremely stressful job.
* If you have maternal instincts...don't even bother...no time...and unwanted by employers.

Pros:
* You don't sell your soul...I don't know what you guys are talking about. I know that's a stereotype for any well-paid business man but its also completely irrelevant for an analyst.
* Lots of money. My brother has already received two raises and has been at UBS for less than 2 years. He earns $110K p.a. and receives an average bonus of $60K p.a. - i.e. the more people work, the bigger the bonus for the company in the year.
* its a good way to reach the top quickly, provided you are physically and mentally strong...very strong. Just hoping, desiring and being ambitious won't necessarily help you unless you are physically and mentally strong.
* its an extremely well-respected job.
* free food, free taxis.

ALLLICE

HSC
bento said:
My brother works in an investment bank (Universal Bank of Switzerland) and is an Analyst so I can give you a run down.

Cons:
* Yes not many women
* Minimum working hours per day 9am- 1am, although he gets on average through the week 4-5 hours sleep per night.
*No weekends. Saturdays are around 8hour working days. It's not just an 'obligation' to work but a necessity - they email you to come into work. Sundays are generally 5 or 6 hours of work.
*Stats from Financial Review (which are evident in the workplace): 90% of investment bankers cannot get into relationships because they have no time.
* They are very prestigious - only take graduates from University of Sydney - law graduates are always good.
* If you have maternal instincts...don't even bother...no time...and unwanted by employers.

Pros:
* You don't sell your soul...I don't know what you guys are talking about. I know that's a stereotype for any well-paid business man but its also completely irrelevant for an analyst.
* Lots of money. My brother has already received two raises and has been at UBS for less than 2 years. He earns $110K p.a. and receives an average bonus of $60K p.a. - i.e. the more people work, the bigger the bonus for the company in the year.
* its a good way to reach the top quickly, provided you are physically and mentally strong...very strong. Just hoping, desiring and being ambitious won't necessarily help you unless you are physically and mentally strong.
* free food, free taxis.
Dear god.. no holidays or weekends ever?? and no time to sleep?! sooo not work the money imo.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
bento said:
A mans got to win, and to win he has to do man-ly things. Make the tough decisions, get on top and stay there...

And you can't do that... without a canoe.

And have the biggest, strongest, longest canoe.

X

xeuyrawp

AsyLum said:
A mans got to win, and to win he has to do man-ly things. Make the tough decisions, get on top and stay there...

And you can't do that... without a canoe.

And have the biggest, strongest, longest canoe.
*high fives Mike and looks at his canoe*

You need to be your best. Yes, life can be tough, and canoes can be awkward... So why not get away from it all?

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
bento said:
its a good way to reach the top quickly, provided you are physically and mentally strong...very strong.
mserica is strong, she is invincible, she is woman.

Bwahahahahaha.... ahem, sorry.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
bento said:

Cons:
* Yes not many women

Pros:
* free food, free taxis.
HR is dramatically different to an analyst position at an IB. A lot of those perks may not apply, nor would the conditions.

I very much doubt that HR positions would be as strenuous as those bankers. This is justified by the equivalent remuneration difference. However, there may be exceptions to the rule, and of course I'm generalising.

I know of an executive secretary for the state gov't on a SIX FIGURE package (my wretched mother-in-law to be :p)

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Agree with everything Supra said. HR positions tend to be similar no matter what the organisation... unless you're comparing public to private.

Pretty sure you won't be doing more than 40 hours a week in HR at an IB.

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Can we all agree that she'll at least need a canoe, the biggest, strongest canoe?

ALLLICE

HSC
AsyLum said:
Can we all agree that she'll at least need a canoe, the biggest, strongest canoe?
Well of course, seeing as canoes are an integral part of investment banking and all.

mserica

HSC
i'm sure ill be fine, if its meant to be it will be... Fingers crossed!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)