Is going to any uni besides UNSW or USYD worth it for Law? (1 Viewer)

Danoraptor

HSC
Uni Grad
I've heard that some employers dont even consider applicants who went to unis besides UNSW or Usyd for Law. I want to go to macquarie (because its realistic for my atar 95-96), but will I be employable with a law degree from macquarie?

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I've heard that some employers dont even consider applicants who went to unis besides UNSW or Usyd for Law. I want to go to macquarie (because its realistic for my atar 95-96), but will I be employable with a law degree from macquarie?
Yes its fine

Maxwell

bow peasants
HSC
Take everything on these forums with a grain of salt. Probs was just a pretentious douche saying that so they seem smarter for attending USyd/UNSW. Prospective employers do take into account the university, but it doesn't guarantee/prevent you from getting a spot. A lot of people that attend UNSW/USyd, and indeed, a lot of universities, don't have any practical experience/are just 'textbook' smart - employers look for characteristics which you can't learn from a textbook - because let's face it, knowledge can be learned over time, but certain skills can't, or are very difficult to learn e.g. communication/interpersonal/leadership.

TLDR; go to whatever university you want/can get into - it doesn't matter where you go. A lot of people that get spat out from UNSW/USyd aren't really employable because they've been sheltered all their life and spoon-fed information (not to say they didn't work hard or that all of the people that attend these universities are like that, of course), and haven't really developed other skills which are critical to employability. Make sure you have these skills to have an advantage over graduates from these 'superior' universities and then it won't really matter where you attended university.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
It would ultimately come down to the type of person you are and what you can make of yourself and time at uni.

USYD/UNSW undoubtedly offer more opportunities purely by way of being the oldest and most senior law schools in the state. That being said it is not a strong determinate in guaranteeing or denying you a position. Most corporate disciplines have changed to hiring based on how the candidate appears holistically and so the university is practically a non-factor. The legal field is slowly changing to adopt this system since there is an overwhelming lack of confidence in lawyers and their ability to offer diverse and real solutions to clients. This means that you'll need to need to demonstrate you're passion and determination by being involved in industry experience, volunteer causes and other extra-curriculars like society involvement (which you can find at all unis). Also don't forget that there are different methods of assessment and learning at unis which you might find to be a useful factor to consider.

Long story short, yes.

enoilgam

HSC
As crobat has said, this is changing, but in Law the uni you go to does count a little more than other fields. In most established Law firms, the partners have a great deal of influence over hiring strategy (much moreso than other business where that is left to HR) and many have an "old boy" mentality whereby they are bias against non-Go8s. It is improving, but there is still a small bias out there. However, overall, it still really comes down to whether you have the whole package as an applicant.

Danoraptor

HSC
Uni Grad
As crobat has said, this is changing, but in Law the uni you go to does count a little more than other fields. In most established Law firms, the partners have a great deal of influence over hiring strategy (much moreso than other business where that is left to HR) and many have an "old boy" mentality whereby they are bias against non-Go8s. It is improving, but there is still a small bias out there. However, overall, it still really comes down to whether you have the whole package as an applicant.
That sucks. However, I have no chance getting into USYD or UNSW directly by atar and dont want to stuff around and waste time trying to transfer into them. I think I'll just stick with MQ tbh, even though I may be a bit less employable.

Hatake88

HSC
Several of my older friends got into top law firms (e.g. K&WM, Clayton Utz & Minter Ellison) "despite" being MQ students. Granted, they were on distinction averages + had previous legal experience + was heavily involved in student life (executive of multiple societies) but these criterion are necessary regardless of uni.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
It doesn't really make you less employable anyway. Let's pretend that top tier firms only recruit graduates from G08 universities. Even then, those jobs are only a small minority of jobs in the field. Don't write off your other options when you haven't even started studying yet!

tyzzefloro

HSC
Yeah!!! Im in the same boat but defs UTS LAW OR MACQ LAW if u can't get into USYD or UNSW, I have my fingers crossed for unsw.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
Macquarie's Law School is quite respectable so don't count it out!

Confound

HSC
Yeah top tier firms who hire only the top 0.001% students from the top universities probably won't consider you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)