Is ipod the best? Plus ipod and sound recording? (1 Viewer)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
OK. I want an ipod, and I am currently deciding if the reason why I want an ipod is because of Apple's brilliant marketing campign or the fact that they are really good.

I stupidly last year rushed out and bought a Phillips 1GB MP3 player just a month before the prices of ipods etc dropped dramatically.

I know ipod have their share of technical problems, but are they good? And are they worth the money? Also is there anywhere else that sells them with a discounted price besides people on ebay?

Another ipod question. I understand you can record stuff on them, but what type of sound quality is the recording? Any limit on the length of tracks? Would I be able to plug in a broadcast quality microphone and record an interview which would be of suitable quality to play on the radio? What file format do the recordings save in to? We used mini disk recorders at uni, would ipods record with better or worse sound quality than md recorders? Would I be able to easily transfer a recorded interview from ipod to PC and Mac to edit in cooledit or protools?

Do any other brands have mp3 players with lots of storage and sound recording that are better than ipod?

Any insights would be appreciated.

santaslayer

HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
OK. I want an ipod, and I am currently deciding if the reason why I want an ipod is because of Apple's brilliant marketing campign or the fact that they are really good.

I stupidly last year rushed out and bought a Phillips 1GB MP3 player just a month before the prices of ipods etc dropped dramatically.

I know ipod have their share of technical problems, but are they good? And are they worth the money? Also is there anywhere else that sells them with a discounted price besides people on ebay?

Another ipod question. I understand you can record stuff on them, but what type of sound quality is the recording? Any limit on the length of tracks? Would I be able to plug in a broadcast quality microphone and record an interview which would be of suitable quality to play on the radio? What file format do the recordings save in to? We used mini disk recorders at uni, would ipods record with better or worse sound quality than md recorders? Would I be able to easily transfer a recorded interview from ipod to PC and Mac to edit in cooledit or protools?

Do any other brands have mp3 players with lots of storage and sound recording that are better than ipod?

Any insights would be appreciated.
Hey,
Ipod's are really good if they work. I think most people have had their share of technical problems with the fucker, ut once you DO get it to work, it's fantastic. I have the 20GB one. I have 2 GiGs filled...lol.

By recording stuff do you mean voice? Because I think you need an additional attachement (which costs money). :p

Everything uses USB or Firewire...

Other brands include m:robe...but i have nfi about them...

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
by default you can't record broadcast quality. but If you install linux on you ipod you can record at higher sample rates.

the default sample rates are only good for voice.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Yeah I'm only interested in voice recording... basically interviews for journalism that are of a decent enough quality so I could use them in radio stories. So I would have to install linux on it to get broadcast quality voice recording? Is installing linux on it difficult... would it mess with the warranty and increase the risk of the ipod screwing up? Linux is free right?

Would I need an additional attachment to record voice or could I just shove a microphone into the microphone jack and off I go? Could I say use a minijack to minijack cord to record radio stories off the radio... e.g. when a story of mine gets broadcast I like to record it with all the intros etc on the radio station and then burn it to CD for my portfolio.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
Yeah I'm only interested in voice recording... basically interviews for journalism that are of a decent enough quality so I could use them in radio stories. So I would have to install linux on it to get broadcast quality voice recording? Is installing linux on it difficult... would it mess with the warranty and increase the risk of the ipod screwing up? Linux is free right?
unfortunately I think it voids your warranty. and it doesn't support 4th gen ipods so you need an old one :p

yeah, ipods aren't designed for voice recording. I think they put the limit on sample rate to stop people pirating track of CDs or something. dunno.

braindrainedAsh said:
Would I need an additional attachment to record voice or could I just shove a microphone into the microphone jack and off I go? Could I say use a minijack to minijack cord to record radio stories off the radio... e.g. when a story of mine gets broadcast I like to record it with all the intros etc on the radio station and then burn it to CD for my portfolio.
I think some have a minijack for a mic. But as I said before. It isn't designed for recording.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Tape recorders aren't good enough for radio because it is too difficult to get the recordings in to the digital editing software from cassettes.

We have mini disc recorders at uni and we use them for radio.... but that involves hiring them, and often there are parts missing or they may be broken. Plus buying mini discs adds up, they are expensive.

Does anyone know of a mp3 player with big storage that is good for voice recording?

Otherwise I might just buy a second hand mini disc recorder off ebay and keep saving for an ipod

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
Tape recorders aren't good enough for radio because it is too difficult to get the recordings in to the digital editing software from cassettes.

We have mini disc recorders at uni and we use them for radio.... but that involves hiring them, and often there are parts missing or they may be broken. Plus buying mini discs adds up, they are expensive.

Does anyone know of a mp3 player with big storage that is good for voice recording?

Otherwise I might just buy a second hand mini disc recorder off ebay and keep saving for an ipod
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00091R29C/103-9840550-0303830?v=glance

this?

maybe something similar but cheaper?

EDIT:

more

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail~dpno~478683.asp
http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail~dpno~404325.asp
http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=R-1

hmmm the professional ones seem pretty expensive.

EDIT:
http://www.audioactivism.org/2005/05/31/fast-cheap-high-quality-sound/

this is probably what you are looking for

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You're better off trying for a MD with recording, an iRiver-esque mp3 player

fatmuscle

HSC
iTalk! $40 incl. s/h

I record lectures from half way down the lecture hall, and can play it back crystal clear

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Theyre not too good at concerts, as my friend found out :p

fatmuscle

HSC
hahha i wouldn't be surprised.

but recording a concert with a hand-held device?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yeah bootlegging ;)

It was one of the few times we didn't know who the promoters/tech crew were so we couldnt get a direct line out from the mixing desk :(

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
i have a creative zen 20gb. it has a recorder which records from both radio and external. no extra parts needed.

the quality is quite decent. i am pretty sure you can record for a LONG time, havent pushed it.

you can get them for probably below the 400 mark.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Hey this is a really good price for a 60 gb ipod isn't it?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Brand-New-Se...03137107QQcategoryZ104138QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Plus the guy is in Albury.... I am trying to negotiate an Albury discount LOL. And it comes with the 12 month warranty. These are normally close to the $600 mark aren't they?

I really shouldn't be even looking at spending so much money, I am supposed to be saving.

Those professional ones look great, but too much of a cost for something that I will only use for one purpose.... I mean, if I had a paying job in radio, yes, but not while I am just doing stuff for uni and community radio.

Hmm just thinking if I bought the ipod I could sell my mp3 player, and my digital voice recorder (which is pretty crap, the quality is not very clear, especially when you play back).... hmm for those I would get about $100 at least I reckon.... hmm

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Journalists, back in my day remembered everything!! :p

santaslayer

HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
Hey this is a really good price for a 60 gb ipod isn't it?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Brand-New-Se...03137107QQcategoryZ104138QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Plus the guy is in Albury.... I am trying to negotiate an Albury discount LOL. And it comes with the 12 month warranty. These are normally close to the $600 mark aren't they?

I really shouldn't be even looking at spending so much money, I am supposed to be saving.

Those professional ones look great, but too much of a cost for something that I will only use for one purpose.... I mean, if I had a paying job in radio, yes, but not while I am just doing stuff for uni and community radio.

Hmm just thinking if I bought the ipod I could sell my mp3 player, and my digital voice recorder (which is pretty crap, the quality is not very clear, especially when you play back).... hmm for those I would get about $100 at least I reckon.... hmm
lol...that price sounds extrememly dodgy...u can be our lab rat and try it out. :p

(thats an extremelty good price)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
LOL I basically do remember everything because my shorthand is so horrible.

Are you sure that "back in your day" they didn't just make it all up haha.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Hmm yeah I know the price is suspiciously good, particularly since not that many places in Albury even sell ipods.... but I am trying to arrange an Albury pick up so my brother and his possy can bash the guy if he tries to rip me off haha. I haven't purchased one yet though, still thinking about it.

Even the postage is cheap.... $6 for a courier including insurance? Huh?

Last edited:

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
The listing for the cheap ipods is now removed! What is with that! They much have been dodgy or something.... awww my hopes of cheapness are dashed :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)