Is it advisable to drop to 10 units in Year 12 (2022)? (1 Viewer)

poseid0n

HSC
for context, i'm currently doing 12 units for year 11, but i've been toying with the idea of dropping business studies when term 4 rolls around. i've been pretty demotivated when studying for business; my teacher isn't the best at teaching the content so my revision time mostly goes towards learning class content from scratch (ppts &/ textbooks), and i just don't look forward to going to class all that much. business studies is starting to be my 'dead weight' subject, and i don't know if it would be wise to carry it into year 12. granted, i still have two more terms to adjust to the study workload that year 11 heaps on you all of a sudden, but i'm worried that i'll struggle to study for my other subjects next year. theoretically, business should be the easiest subject out of all my classes to study for, but due to the poor quality of teaching in-class and my overall lack of motivation to study for it in the first place, i'm honestly afraid that i'll scramble to study for business when exams roll around (which was what unfortunately happened this term), put far too much time and effort into it to make up for not knowing the content, and neglect my other subjects as a result.

tl;dr is it wise to drop to 10 units for y12? or would it be too risky?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
That depends on how you're performing in your other subjects. If you're willing to keep 10 units then you must make sure you're doing well and you can keep doing well in those subjects, as they will all count towards your ATAR.

Students who complete Year 12 with 12 units usually do so so that they have a backup subject in case something unexepcted happens during the HSC in one of their subjects (i.e. they don't perform well).

You have a couple of options here:

1 - See how you go in the remaining terms of Year 11 - study for Business as much as you can while utilising this forum for help with questions that you have.

2- If option 1 doesn't end up working for you, or if you feel Business Studies is just too much and not worth keeping, then you should drop it.

idkkdi

HSC
for context, i'm currently doing 12 units for year 11, but i've been toying with the idea of dropping business studies when term 4 rolls around. i've been pretty demotivated when studying for business; my teacher isn't the best at teaching the content so my revision time mostly goes towards learning class content from scratch (ppts &/ textbooks), and i just don't look forward to going to class all that much. business studies is starting to be my 'dead weight' subject, and i don't know if it would be wise to carry it into year 12. granted, i still have two more terms to adjust to the study workload that year 11 heaps on you all of a sudden, but i'm worried that i'll struggle to study for my other subjects next year. theoretically, business should be the easiest subject out of all my classes to study for, but due to the poor quality of teaching in-class and my overall lack of motivation to study for it in the first place, i'm honestly afraid that i'll scramble to study for business when exams roll around (which was what unfortunately happened this term), put far too much time and effort into it to make up for not knowing the content, and neglect my other subjects as a result.

as long as you can pull clutches in the unlikely event that one bombs a subject for a term, the best option imo is to drop to 10.
if u get easily depressed knowing that you have screwed up a subject and generally won't have much drive to rescue it, it might be better to stay on 12, and drop it after you screw it up or smth.

Last edited:

Want90Atar

HSC

Yes i dropped to 10 units, i improved because i had extra time to focus on all of my subjects my ranks for prelims was like top 10 and now my rank is around top 1 to 3, for english i used to be ranked 80 out of 100 now i'm ranked 38

Want90Atar

HSC
as long as you can pull clutches in the unlikely event that one bombs a subject for a term, the best option imo is to drop to 10.
if u get easily depressed knowing that you have screwed up a subject and generally won't have much drive to rescue it, it might be better to stay on 12.
Lol i knew that i screwed up a subject and dropped it because i was not willing to put in the effort to get better at it.

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
this was literally me in year 11 but with chemistry. I didn't look forward to class, teacher wasn't that great and so I pretty much self-taught myself the entire course in 2 days just to do decent in the yearly exam, since I learned virtually nothing all year. but 3 weeks into year 11 I already knew I was dropping down to 10 units by the end of it. I didn't think twice about it really

actually I did think about the consequences but honestly my hatred for chem was far greater than my desire to play it safe with 12 units. and I knew that if I kept chem I would definitely be screwed for my other subjects which wasn't a risk worth taking, and I'd be screwed for chem itself anyway.

you still have time to decide and see if it's worth keeping business, but honestly I'd say just drop to 10 units in year 12. it's really not as dangerous as some people make it out to be, and tbh keeping 12 units can actually prove more dangerous if you've kept a subject that's holding you back. it's different for everyone so definitely think about it, but seeing your overall attitude towards business just tells me that it would be best for you to drop. I felt the exact same way about chem after all

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)