Is it better to... (1 Viewer)

TQuadded

Breaking the limits.
HSC
...do about five past papers for Physics, then figure out my weakest points and reinforce them? Or is it better to go through the entire syllabus in extreme detail? Or maybe go through 2-3 papers, then go through the syllabus points that weren't covered in the papers?

I am very confident with my memorization skills, and often when I look at a question before any studying I can remember vague bits of it from the syllabus and recognize the general content that it is from.

Also, does this apply to Extension Math?

(Mr. Procrastinator, Mr. Last Minute and Mr. Overnight Cram.)

Mr_Kap

HSC
...do about five past papers for Physics, then figure out my weakest points and reinforce them? Or is it better to go through the entire syllabus in extreme detail? Or maybe go through 2-3 papers, then go through the syllabus points that weren't covered in the papers?

I am very confident with my memorization skills, and often when I look at a question before any studying I can remember vague bits of it from the syllabus and recognize the general content that it is from.

Also, does this apply to Extension Math?

(Mr. Procrastinator, Mr. Last Minute and Mr. Overnight Cram.)
look at past papers for common questions and memorise them.
Do some calculation questions from some past HSC (not the whole exam).
Go over main dot points of the syllabus.
Look at some 6/7/8 markers of past HSC

Flop21

HSC
When is the exam? For bio I went through my notes topic by topic, just a good read over. Obviously any weak points you already can identify, study and fill them in, then you can do a few past papers to identify more weak spots. Trial papers from 2015 are good as well, as questions in past HSC probably won't be in this years exams.

If you have the sucess one past paper book, then you can look at the inside cover, photocopy the bit that sorts questions by topic, and go through say, 2011-2015 or earlier than 2011 up to you, and do the questions as you read through each topic (I find this really effective as it makes study feel doable - by doing it in chunks by topic).

TQuadded

Breaking the limits.
HSC
When is the exam? For bio I went through my notes topic by topic, just a good read over. Obviously any weak points you already can identify, study and fill them in, then you can do a few past papers to identify more weak spots. Trial papers from 2015 are good as well, as questions in past HSC probably won't be in this years exams.

If you have the sucess one past paper book, then you can look at the inside cover, photocopy the bit that sorts questions by topic, and go through say, 2011-2015 or earlier than 2011 up to you, and do the questions as you read through each topic (I find this really effective as it makes study feel doable - by doing it in chunks by topic).
My exams are Extension Math on Monday followed by Physics for Tuesday. I don't even really feel like I can achieve a score higher than 80% in extension. My predicted marks for other subjects are pretty low, and even then my extension requires above 80% to be counted. I might just do a crap load of past papers for that.

This sounds like a really good technique. I'll incorporate this with Mr_Kap's partial prediction method and hopefully be able to do well. Thanks! (I have all three science success books.)

I just remembered I got rekt by MC in Physics trials as well, so I probably need to use my reading time for it and treat it as comprehension in English because it feels very much like it. (9/20 trial MC score, super rushed.)

Flop21

HSC
My exams are Extension Math on Monday followed by Physics for Tuesday. I don't even really feel like I can achieve a score higher than 80% in extension. My predicted marks for other subjects are pretty low, and even then my extension requires above 80% to be counted. I might just do a crap load of past papers for that.

This sounds like a really good technique. I'll incorporate this with Mr_Kap's partial prediction method and hopefully be able to do well. Thanks! (I have all three science success books.)

I just remembered I got rekt by MC in Physics trials as well, so I probably need to use my reading time for it and treat it as comprehension in English because it feels very much like it. (9/20 trial MC score, super rushed.)
Yeah always be careful with MC they can have dumb questions and trick questions. If you don't get one, just skip it, but remember to give yourself enough time to come back to it and give them all a good think.

I don't do maths ext. but past papers sound like a good idea. If you don't know your formulas, start that ASAP, recall each night. When doing past papers if you come across a question you can't really do, that's a weak area. You should then say post the question on here and get some help, and just make sure you understand that area/topic before moving on. I should've done this a long time before my 2u exam lol (did lots of past papers but skipped every question I couldn't do and didn't really focus on understanding those weak areas until the couple day before). Trial papers are good as well (try some from 2015).

Tuesday is plenty of time (well not a lot but still definitely enough to cover the whole syllabus and fill in those weak areas), good luck!!

TQuadded

Breaking the limits.
HSC
Yeah always be careful with MC they can have dumb questions and trick questions. If you don't get one, just skip it, but remember to give yourself enough time to come back to it and give them all a good think.

I don't do maths ext. but past papers sound like a good idea. If you don't know your formulas, start that ASAP, recall each night. When doing past papers if you come across a question you can't really do, that's a weak area. You should then say post the question on here and get some help, and just make sure you understand that area/topic before moving on. I should've done this a long time before my 2u exam lol (did lots of past papers but skipped every question I couldn't do and didn't really focus on understanding those weak areas until the couple day before). Trial papers are good as well (try some from 2015).

Tuesday is plenty of time (well not a lot but still definitely enough to cover the whole syllabus and fill in those weak areas), good luck!!
Yeah I kind of figured out that you actually have to read and think for the multiple choice when I was doing the Biology exam.

You're too kind, haha. Thank you very much for all of this advice, they're extremely helpful. Best of luck to you as well!

(Shoutout to Mr. Kappa. ;) )

HecticLad

HSC
I usually just go and make notes on the whole syllabus, reading over 2-3 textbooks and heaps of internet sources to make sure I get as much knowledge as I can on each topic, then ill read over em a few times then attempt some past papers, I just find it better to learn all the information first then apply it to reinforce my understanding of it. it would probably be good to look over the syllabus then address the stuff you arent confident in. Also for MC you might want to try the online multiple choice from BOSTES, you can basically set it to 50 questions from past papers, pretty good for some quick revision

TQuadded

Breaking the limits.
HSC
I usually just go and make notes on the whole syllabus, reading over 2-3 textbooks and heaps of internet sources to make sure I get as much knowledge as I can on each topic, then ill read over em a few times then attempt some past papers, I just find it better to learn all the information first then apply it to reinforce my understanding of it. it would probably be good to look over the syllabus then address the stuff you arent confident in. Also for MC you might want to try the online multiple choice from BOSTES, you can basically set it to 50 questions from past papers, pretty good for some quick revision
I've got my technique down, don't worry about it. Sounds like it's too late for that. Maybe I'll do the MC just the night before. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Mr_Kap

HSC
Be aware that the MC is fucked up even if know all the content. I can't seem to get more than 16 or 17/20.

My average is around 15/20 from past papers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)