Is it possible to survive the year with 14 units for HSC? (1 Viewer)

Squishxmishyx

Olive You.
HSC
I don't know what to drop.
I'm doing 14 units right now, and I'm doing average...
It's just that I can't do the expected homework for every single class. (I wouldn't do it anyways even if I only had 1 subject for the rest of the year. Can't change what I am)

Does the workload increase or the content in Year 12??

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
Yes, the workload and pressure definitely increases.

14 units is too many to do for hsc. You'll end up either not completing the work and stressing out because you will have assessments ALL THE TIME, or getting lazy because you'll think 'oh this subject won't count towards my ATAR'

I personally did do 14 units for my hsc, but because I spread myself between so many subjects, I know I sacrificed a number of marks. You just can't physically do that much work.

It's especially hard to stay motivated when you know 4 units, or at least two entire subjects, aren't going to count in your ATAR calculation.

SeCKSiiMiNh

i'm a fireball in bed
HSC
if you want it enough and your heart is pure, wonderous things may happen!

but srsly, it is possible. this guy i knew did 16 units and ended up with approx 86 atar, which is okay

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
ok well i did 14 and i ended up with 99+ so it's possible, but i'm being an academic snob and assuming you don't go to a top school because the top 3 schools in the state don't offer SDD

HSC
Uni Grad
I know someone who went well with 14 units so that's a guarantee that you will get 99.95...

/sarcasm

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
it's possible, but pretty damn hard. no sane person would recommend it

mcromancer

HSC
ok well i did 14 and i ended up with 99+ so it's possible, but i'm being an academic snob and assuming you don't go to a top school because the top 3 schools in the state don't offer SDD
How do you know the top 3 don't offer it? And besides it doesn't matter what school she goes to.

However to OP, 14 units is ALOT of workload in yr12, you might want to drop a subject because even with 12 units you still have a backup 2units but a greatly lessened workload.

Schoey93

HSC
It's just that I can't do the expected homework for every single class. (I wouldn't do it anyways even if I only had 1 subject for the rest of the year. Can't change what I am)

14 units is fine if you manage your time properly (lol, I love how I just make generalisations with no basis whatsoever!). I do 13 units and I do just fine. I wanted to do 14 units for the HSC, but I have decided to do my LOTE/VET combo; English (Advanced), Mathematics, Hospitality Operations, Italian (Continuers and Extension) and Studies of Religion I. It is better known as the bludge-five.

14 units for Year 12 could get a bit like a heavy period but on the other hand, it might just be a light flow.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
You must be insane because you did 14 units. :p

Squishxmishyx

Olive You.
HSC
YEAH!
I think the problem is motivation...
I don't know what to drop though.
I was already planning on dropping SDD because I only did it because I had a "gap" in my timetable..
But I think I'm sorta enjoying it.
Biology is boring.
I'm doing no homework/revision whatsoever in English ext(apart from assignments) and Maths ext.

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad
Ruse offers SDD. I'm pretty sure baulko and nsg do as well.

QFT. I did 15units for most of yr11 and am doing 14units at the moment. I survived, but my sanity was always questionable. If you like all your subjects and are doing fairly well in them and can still probably get into uni course of your choice, you might as well just keep them.

In year12 it probably helps to do all the work that you get, but don't feel like you have to follow my advice there. I know I didn't =\

good luck :]

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
How do you know the top 3 don't offer it? And besides it doesn't matter what school she goes to.
the point i was making (but admittedly, i didn't clarify) in regards to school is that school rank does impact your marks. i did a lot of subjects and worked hard, and got 99+ but a portion of that mark would have been boosted by attending a selective school.

Ruse offers SDD. I'm pretty sure baulko and nsg do as well.
confirmed nsg and baulko don't. and ruse didn't in 07 and 08

You must be insane because you did 14 units. :p
you have no idea ;)

BeeemER

HSC
Just do MX2, MX1, chem, phys, english and bio. Bio won't count but do it for the excursions and 4dachicks. If your not a dipshit, 95+

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad
confirmed nsg and baulko don't. and ruse didn't in 07 and 08
Several of my friends did the HSC for IPT and SDD in 2008. They were in yr10, but it's offered to the yr12s as well. Not many people at ruse do it non-accelerated though, because they'd be stuck in a class of yr10s.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
Several of my friends did the HSC for IPT and SDD in 2008. They were in yr10, but it's offered to the yr12s as well. Not many people at ruse do it non-accelerated though, because they'd be stuck in a class of yr10s.
ahhk. that must've been what i was thinking of for ruse. my original point remains the same though, the op isn't at one of the top 3 schools and this just means you can't rely on the school to help bring up your marks (though it would be silly to in any regards)

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
wow...
most people here are choosing to have a hectic year 12...
10 units is enough, imo
unless one isn't sure which subject one should drop.

Existential

HSC
N/A

Answer: it's possible, but not advisable.

yes the workload in year 12 is increased (i thought that was a no-brainer)

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
survive: yes

succeed: no
(probably)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)