Is it true that you don't always do as bad as you think you have? (1 Viewer)

juicystar07

HSC
N/A
I've noticed that people who finished HSC last year that thought that the exams were hard and they were really worried about their ATAR, ended upi getting 90+.

Have you ever noticed that this year? Have you ever come out of an assessment/exam really worried and disappointed in yourself, but you end up doing really well?

reps2g

HSC
gotta put myself down so when i do get <90 i dont become devo : D

Aysce

HSC
Yeah that sometimes happens to me. Sometimes when i think I did well/bad in an exam, the opposite happens!

juicystar07

HSC
N/A
Yeah that sometimes happens to me. Sometimes when i think I did well/bad in an exam, the opposite happens!
I hope that happens for HSC. I feel like I haven't come out from any of the exams happy or confident in my work -.-

RishBonjour

HSC
When I think I did well and come out of the exams - ohh that was easy, end up getting shit. But when I'm like "HOLYYY SHIZ MAN FAILED THAT TEST 70% MAX" ends up with a better result.
I just like expecting the worst and keeping my expectations low - hence chances of disappointed are low too.

freeeeee

HSC
Sounds like u guys have poor metacognition, i know for me when i walk out of an exam confident i know roughly what i am going to get with ~10% discrepancy, and when i feel like i bombed i also know roughly what i will get around the same discrepancy.

Everyone is different haha

choiyokbao

HSC
its better than the opposite happening where your overconfident and then you're disappointed with ATAR

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I feel solid in Physics and Chemistry but for MX2, I should get ~58% raw and for English, I bombed out.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
I feel solid in Physics and Chemistry but for MX2, I should get ~58% raw and for English, I bombed out.
Thats gud m8. I fucked up in everything and didnt perform to my potential, mainly because of time constraints. In english, time was a big problem for me as I only had 25 minutes to produce an essay. In IPT time was against me as I couldn't finish one 5 marker and skipped it completely. In Biology and ITV the same story follows. I did bad because I didnt have enough time to get the questions done; though I had potential, I simply could not finish to the best of my ability. I think that the HSC is rubbish and does not test one's ability, but rather tests you on how much one can cram and how fast they can reproduce it. If they were to seperate intelligence from 'crammers/fast hand writers' they should expand the time frame for all exams. But I hope my ranks are sufficient enough to save me from the horrible raw marks that m expecting. :'(

RishBonjour

HSC
Thats gud m8. I fucked up in everything and didnt perform to my potential, mainly because of time constraints. In english, time was a big problem for me as I only had 25 minutes to produce an essay. In IPT time was against me as I couldn't finish one 5 marker and skipped it completely. In Biology and ITV the same story follows. I did bad because I didnt have enough time to get the questions done; though I had potential, I simply could not finish to the best of my ability. I think that the HSC is rubbish and does not test one's ability, but rather tests you on how much one can cram and how fast they can reproduce it. If they were to seperate intelligence from 'crammers/fast hand writers' they should expand the time frame for all exams. But I hope my ranks are sufficient enough to save me from the horrible raw marks that m expecting. :'(
I must say for majority of the people, time is NOT a constraint for biology and physics. Many people finish with an hour left to just check over/improve their answers (personally i have like only 10 mins or so).
For maths, time is integral because lets face it, if the 3 unit test was 4 hours instead of 2 hours, any idiot can get most of the questions done by trying multiple methods or guessing answers.
For english, i have extremely slow hand writing so we are on the same boat, but if it was longer... people with faster hand writing would just write even more hence nothing will change.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
I must say for majority of the people, time is NOT a constraint for biology and physics. Many people finish with an hour left to just check over/improve their answers (personally i have like only 10 mins or so).
For maths, time is integral because lets face it, if the 3 unit test was 4 hours instead of 2 hours, any idiot can get most of the questions done by trying multiple methods or guessing answers.
For english, i have extremely slow hand writing so we are on the same boat, but if it was longer... people with faster hand writing would just write even more hence nothing will change.
True... life just sucks! :( :(

Aykay

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, reckon I screwed up Eng Adv. Then I checked the HSC mark and which percentile it equates to. Then I realised I'm fine, considering my internal rank gives me an assessment mark of about 91-2. :)

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I would disagree with the physics one. I always have so much more to write but due to the time constraints, I can't put it all on the paper...in both chemistry and physics, I finished the last question with around 2 minutes remaining..

RishBonjour

HSC
True... life just sucks! :( :(
LOL relax man, so many ways to get into uni. no one cares about atar :)

edit:
For physics i didn't get time to think for projectile - hence 0/4. But with the writing space provided, we can't really write THAT much. But yeah for someone like you, i guess you could :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)