is it worth it to do eng ext 1? (1 Viewer)

libestraumno3

HSC
is it worth doing eng ext 1 when you aren't planning to take ext 2 in year 12? im afraid of putting too much on my plate and not being able to handle the workload since im already trying out ext 1 maths TT

could anyone with exp pls comment their thoughts on this class and how it compared to adv and just their balance with other subjects? tysm!

idkkdi

HSC
is it worth doing eng ext 1 when you aren't planning to take ext 2 in year 12? im afraid of putting too much on my plate and not being able to handle the workload since im already trying out ext 1 maths TT

could anyone with exp pls comment their thoughts on this class and how it compared to adv and just their balance with other subjects? tysm!
crammed every eng ext 1 task. helped out writing for sure

MJRey

HSC
Well I'm doing Ext 1 English for my HSC this year, and I'd say it's definitely worth it. I'm also doing Ext 1 Maths, so although there's a lot of time you have to put into both, I like both Maths and English so the workload doesn't feel that overbearing. If you aren't planning on Ext 2, I think it's helpful in some ways for Advanced because although you'll be studying different texts, similar themes will pop up depending on your prescribed texts for each. It's also good practice for essay writing but a bit more extensive (that's why it's extension, after all). Also, if your English teacher's engaging and wants to genuinely help you succeed, then the majority of the time it should be smooth sailing.
Hopefully that helps! :)

Vall

HSC
My friends doing ext english say its way better than advanced

may22

HSC
I'm doing Ext 1 English for my HSC and it is so worth it. While it's more challenging than advanced, the texts are much more interesting and the overall course is much better. My experience might not be the same as everyone else's, but I've got an incredible teacher and a very small class which means every lesson is insightful, engaging and stimulates me to think in different ways.
In terms of workload, you'll have to constantly be writing up practice responses and refining your writing style. It's a subject that is largely independent, meaning your teacher won't spoon-feed you; you'll be expected to do some of your own research, search up critical readings, and read widely. Your teacher will be your guide and mentor, and they will critique your work and provide you with insightful feedback to improve your responses. (I think I should mention here that my extension teacher is also my advanced teacher).
In saying that, the skills you pick up in Extension are transferrable with Advanced. In extension, you have to be able to think on your feet to write up a critical or imaginative response to an unseen text (which is often a dense piece of writing that might send you reeling); but that means you're all the more equipped for the short answer section in advanced! Also, essays in extension go into a lot more depth and analysis than advanced; once again, the skills are transferrable. If you consider yourself an autonomous writer who can adapt to different forms of critical and imaginative writing, and enjoy exploring the deeper messages and contextual commentary within profound texts, then extension english is for you!

I will add one more thing; with extension english, I currently have 11 units (I don't do ext 2). That means it works as a back up unit for me :) You might consider this useful if you find yourself struggling with a different subject and need a safety net for HSC. Also, you can always take it up in Year 11 as an additional unit to get a feel for the subject, and drop it during the year (if you have 13 units) or before you start year 12 if you feel it's not for you

libestraumno3

HSC
hi sorry, opening up an old thread but idk whether to do chinese or ex1 now....

my locked in subjects are:
2u eng
3u maths
physics
eco
mod h

im scared of the addition workload cs of mx1 and phys

but also if i pick chinese its via nsl (distance ed) is it worth it? but note this is beginners so its easy to rote learn ig

im liek so indecisive lmao

btw if i do eng ext, im planning to drop in year 12 (swap for hext) but if i do chinese, i might keep it cs it isnt as demanding

thanks

Last edited:

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
hi sorry, opening up an old thread but idk whether to do chinese or ex1 now....

my locked in subjects are:
3u maths
physics
eco
mod h

im scared of the addition workload cs of mx1 and phys

but also if i pick chinese its via nsl (distance ed) is it worth it? but note this is beginners so its easy to rote learn ig

im liek so indecisive lmao

btw if i do eng ext, im planning to drop in year 12 (swap for hext) but if i do chinese, i might keep it cs it isnt as demanding

thanks
I assume you are taking an additional subject that you did not mention? This is because you cannot take Chinese Beginners alongside the other subjects that you mentioned as this combination would amount to 11 units instead of the required 12 units for year 11. (Edit: Whoops silly me haha)

Regardless, Chinese Beginners seems like a more comfortable alternative to English Extension 1. Not only is it likely to impose a lighter workload than that of English Extension 1, but it could also be easier given that it is a Beginners language course, especially if you have previous exposure to the Chinese language. While taking Chinese Beginners through NSL will require you to be committed and diligent, favourable performance is definitely possible, which leads to the suggestion that the option of keeping this subject going into year 12 would likely mean a reasonable workload and favourable performance across your subjects.

On the other hand, a perceived advantage of taking English Extension 1 is that it can assist you in developing your writing abilities, which, in your case, could be useful in terms of English Advanced after you drop English Extension 1. I believe it would be safe to suggest that History Extension will be more demeanding than Chinese Beginners. Based on this, unless you feel more interested in English Extension 1/History Extension than Chinese Beginners, you should consider the impact of choosing the former on the nature of your workload and your ability to manage it.

I hope this helps! 😄

libestraumno3

HSC
I assume you are taking an additional subject that you did not mention? This is because you cannot take Chinese Beginners alongside the other subjects that you mentioned as this combination would amount to 11 units instead of the required 12 units for year 11.

Regardless, Chinese Beginners seems like a more comfortable alternative to English Extension 1. Not only is it likely to impose a lighter workload than that of English Extension 1, but it could also be easier given that it is a Beginners language course, especially if you have previous exposure to the Chinese language. While taking Chinese Beginners through NSL will require you to be committed and diligent, favourable performance is definitely possible, which leads to the suggestion that the option of keeping this subject going into year 12 would likely mean a reasonable workload and favourable performance across your subjects.

On the other hand, a perceived advantage of taking English Extension 1 is that it can assist you in developing your writing abilities, which, in your case, could be useful in terms of English Advanced after you drop English Extension 1. I believe it would be safe to suggest that History Extension will be more demeanding than Chinese Beginners. Based on this, unless you feel more interested in English Extension 1/History Extension than Chinese Beginners, you should consider the impact of choosing the former on the nature of your workload and your ability to manage it.

I hope this helps! 😄
hi jimmy!

apologies i meant to add 2u english.
so yea with chinese beginners it would be 13 units in year 11

thank you for your comment i'll keep that in mind :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)