is it worth to pay for a remark? (1 Viewer)

strawbinnie

HSC
for context, i placed first in a subject that i thoroughly enjoyed. yesterday when i got the hsc results, i didn't get a band 6 in that subject... but the students placed 2nd and 3rd did. i cant stop thinking abt it coz im really disappointed and studied rlly hard for the subject...

idk if the above excuse is a good enough excuse to put $20 into a remark tho...

can someone pls help me understand the possible outcomes of doing this? is there a possibility that u get an even lower mark after a remark? and how often do students actually get bumped up? also im assuming that it also changes ur atar right?

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
for context, i placed first in a subject that i thoroughly enjoyed. yesterday when i got the hsc results, i didn't get a band 6 in that subject... but the students placed 2nd and 3rd did. i cant stop thinking abt it coz im really disappointed and studied rlly hard for the subject...

can someone pls help me understand the possible outcomes of doing this? is there a possibility that u get an even lower mark after a remark? and how often do students actually get bumped up? also im assuming that it also changes ur atar right?
Yeah $20 is pretty worth it if you believe you should've done better.

They don't remark your paper, just count up your marks again. From a google search it says you can't get a lower mark but who knows...

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
The reason that the students ranked lower than you achieved an HSC mark in the band 6 range is that their HSC exam performance would have been sufficiently good for them to achieve a favourable Examination Mark, which alongside their Assessment Mark (which was most likely lower than yours), would produce an average (i.e. an HSC mark) in the band 6 range. Your own performance in the HSC exam of that subject may have not been sufficiently high (even though you most likely received the highest Assessment Mark in your cohort given your rank) for you to receive a band 6 overall.

To answer your question, there seems to be a misconception that the HSC Results Check involves a remark of students' HSC exams. This is not the case (i.e. the HSC Results Check does not involve a remark of examination responses). Instead, its purpose is to confirm whether your marks were processed correctly if you believe that an examination mark is not consistent with your expectation, which is consistent with your situation.

As far as I am aware, lowering a student's mark following an HSC Results Check does not happen. The two possible outcomes are:
  • NESA did not make any errors, meaning that your mark will not be changed.
  • NESA did make an error, meaning that your mark will be corrected.
I recall seeing a case of this happening last year, where a student who requested HSC Results Check was indeed found to have been awarded an incorrect mark. After their mark was corrected, they later received an email from UAC informing them that they were made aware of this change and that their ATAR would be adjusted accordingly.

I hope this helps! 😄

paparazzitopped

HSC

You may also need to consider the HSC Examination Marks.
Something similar happened to myself. My mate was ranked higher than me and I had lower marks than them in our Year 12 reports, and we had similar external marks, but for the internals I ended up receiving a higher mark for some reason. I got a Band 6, my mate got a Band 5 (one off). I asked how it could have happened here: https://boredofstudies.org/threads/question.402161/#post-7445780.

They won't remark it if you pay for a Results Check. They'll just check to see if you counted up your raw marks correctly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)