is music getting worse? (1 Viewer)

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Originally posted by Mojoman
its cos we want stuff that will stand the test of time, not passing fads...
And there's heaps of it around but nobody knows because the radio waves and music channels are just flooded with maufactured crap.

Aaron1911

Originally posted by Mojoman
5-10 years ago boy bands were in the same place as rap and hip hop are now, top of the charts, the most popular music etc... people woke up and realised it was shit.. people will most probably do that with rap and hip hop. rap and hip hop are fads, and like all fads, will become tedious, and soon wear itself out
whereas rock has lived since the late 60's early 70's, and it is still going
But how long does it take for something to be elevated from 'fad' status? 10 years? 20? Because Rap isn't an overnight sensation. Popular rap music has been around since Run DMC released their platinum selling self titled debut album in 1984.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by Loz#1
And there's heaps of it around but nobody knows because the radio waves and music channels are just flooded with maufactured crap.
Exactly, and that same situation has existed for most of the last fifty years. The mid to late 1980's serve as a very good example of this, with most popular music either being bad metal or 'hip' (horribly dated) pop. Most of the enduring bands of that era were in the underground, indie scene.. Bands like;
-The Pixies
-The Smiths
-R.E.M
-Sonic Youth
-The Replacements

In hip-hop, this era also saw groups such as Public Enemy and N.W.A, in the 'underground'. Having the 'mainstream' dominated by bad, ephemeral music isn't anything new.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
R.E.M came out unscathed, they're still very popular today. At least I see them as popular, but not in the way that pop/r&b is "popular".

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by Loz#1
R.E.M came out unscathed, they're still very popular today. At least I see them as popular, but not in the way that pop/r&b is "popular".
Yeah, but I meant that back in that period (Particularly prior to 1987, when Document was released), R.E.M were an indie band, even if they did successfully 'transfer', which is one of the reasons they endured. Murmur sounds very uncharacteristic for 1983, in a good way.

Phallic

well the rap game is gonna suck without DMX
thank god Ja Rule is retiring from the rap game... that guy turned pop after that song Always on time. i swear to god Living it up was such a pop song.. JA should be ashamed of himself.

Well its rappers like Ja that give hip hop a bad name. All the good rappers hate him and wont touch his songs with a 10 foot pole thats why he only does songs with girls ahah what a loser.

The top 40 crap atm is aimed at little 13 y.o girls anyways, who else in their right mind would actually buy this crap, come on The Saddle Club?? omg what the hell is that all about. they are the worst singers in the world. Everytime i see little girls like Nikki Webster, Britney and all those other little teeny boppers i just try and fight back the urge to vomit.

Its marketed to sell and It doesnt have to be good, it just need to sell millions of records haha come on anyone remember that ketchup song OMG i felt like popping my own ear drums

inasero

Reborn
HSC
sometimes i can't believe the crap these singers come out with, britney&madonna for one, and then kylie- slow.
yeah i reckon eh!! thats why i listen to old school songs such as chicago- if u leave me now...these actually have melodies and meaning...

these days who knows what's going on?

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
Originally posted by iambored
me too, and i have realised a lot of people our age are getting back into the old stuff, the classics btw, not the boy bands
I haven't noticed it- although my cousin started listening to the Beatles about 3-4 yrs - since then likes a lot of the older music.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
edit: leaving this here would make me look stupid :p

HSC
N/A
Sure, a lot of the stuff on the charts is crap. The par to make a record deal has lowered. But I do not believe music in general has gotten worse. There is definitely good music out there, just gotta find it.

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
who the hell actually BOTHERS to vote for such crappo overplayed (343 times a month) songs on the radio *cough cough hot30 cough

mic

Chronic Burper
HSC
N/A
i listen to the beatles and john lennon now!

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
In one sense, music will always become 'better'. This is because of great albums being released over time, and ultimately being remembered, while much popular music is ephemeral.

Think of it as being an ever-expanding musical 'canon'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)