Is standard english THAT bad? (1 Viewer)

Sindivyn

HSC
I'm in year 12 atm, doing standard english (I regret it).
Anyway, is it near impossible to get a band 6? Or do we just not get aligned as well as advanced.

Edit:
Also, is it possible to get 99+ with Standard?
My subjects are
English Standard (7/98)
Math ext 1 (4/15)
Math ext 2 (1/5)
Physics (3/25)
Chemistry (2/26)
SOR I (12/96) - although I'm like 2 marks away from first

Last edited:

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
It is VERY hard to get a band 6.

Work hard and you will be rewarded. Just because it is hard to get a band 6 doesn't mean you won't.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
If you can be one of the say... 60 Standard English people who get a Band 6, then congrats.

But you have to remember, like 3000 Advanced kids get a Band 6

s8891

HSC
N/A
If you can be one of the say... 60 Standard English people who get a Band 6, then congrats.

But you have to remember, like 3000 Advanced kids get a Band 6
Is this because:
1. Standard aligns bad; and
2. The students capable of getting B6 in standard are doing advanced
?

ExcelHSC

HSC
I heard, from people that alot of people in Standard English, don't try.
And plus the marking scheme is different.

Sindivyn

HSC
Isn't the common paper marked the same though? Then aligning is based off that?

ExcelHSC

HSC
Paper 2, I mean.
I'm not sure though.
My friend got 55 in standard last year and it aligned to a mark of 71.
That's pretty impressive.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Anyway, is it near impossible to get a band 6? Or do we just not get aligned as well as advanced.

Edit:
My subjects are
English Standard (7/98)
Math ext 1 (4/15)
Math ext 2 (1/5)
Physics (3/25)
Chemistry (2/26)
Yes, it is that bad.

enoilgam

HSC
Isn't the common paper marked the same though? Then aligning is based off that?
To my knowledge, the final mark (out of 100, paper I is out of 40% and paper II is out of 60%) is aligned. Advanced aligns a lot better than standard, which is why you shouldnt do standard. Its true that the standard cohort isnt very good, but I dont think they are bad enough to the point where only 5% deserve to get over 80.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Standard Cohort is generally very weak if you compare it to Advanced English kids. As mentioned, most of the cohort doesn't try or give a damn about their ATAR. I experienced this personally, where my rank in year 11 was in the bottom tier of the cohort and through putting some effort in, I was immediately placed first in my cohort for my first HSC assessment task. I did work very hard spending atleast 1-2 hours a day in English and was given 89 in the end, my assessment mark pulled me down as I was not ranked 1st internally but somehow I was placed first overall after smashing the external exam o_O

Content wise it is roughly the same workload and slightly less difficulty than Advanced English, but yeah I totally agree how only 60 people a year getting band 6 is a very shocking truth, meaning you have to work very very hard to achieve this mark.

Just work hard and try aim for the highest internal mark and then ace your external mark :)... Generally you would need a rank around top 3 to achieve a band 6 or high band 5.

Sindivyn

HSC
Standard Cohort is generally very weak if you compare it to Advanced English kids. As mentioned, most of the cohort doesn't try or give a damn about their ATAR. I experienced this personally, where my rank in year 11 was in the bottom tier of the cohort and through putting some effort in, I was immediately placed first in my cohort for my first HSC assessment task. I did work very hard spending atleast 1-2 hours a day in English and was given 89 in the end, my assessment mark pulled me down as I was not ranked 1st internally but somehow I was placed first overall after smashing the external exam o_O

Content wise it is roughly the same workload and slightly less difficulty than Advanced English, but yeah I totally agree how only 60 people a year getting band 6 is a very shocking truth, meaning you have to work very very hard to achieve this mark.

Just work hard and try aim for the highest internal mark and then ace your external mark :)... Generally you would need a rank around top 3 to achieve a band 6 or high band 5.
Thanks, not as bad as I thought then :)
I would be happy with a high band 5/low band 6

If I smash trials I will be in top 3, just need to put hard work in over these two weeks I guess.

kfnmpah

HSC
lol don't do standard english.
standard english and general maths are completely ridiculous and redundant.
I sat in on a few general maths classes whilst on placement, they were doing things like putting line equations into y = mx + b form (sup year 9 maths)
and from memory, advanced english wasn't all that demanding, I'd hate to think how utterly boring standard would be.

iBibah

HSC
Thanks, not as bad as I thought then :)
I would be happy with a high band 5/low band 6

If I smash trials I will be in top 3, just need to put hard work in over these two weeks I guess.
You should be happy if you get that, because that's pretty close to a state rank if you get 90+.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
lol don't do standard english.
standard english and general maths are completely ridiculous and redundant.
I sat in on a few general maths classes whilst on placement, they were doing things like putting line equations into y = mx + b form (sup year 9 maths)
and from memory, advanced english wasn't all that demanding, I'd hate to think how utterly boring standard would be.

General maths is quite easy to get band 5 or 6 though, it's not ridiculously outlandish like Standard where only 60 people a year get band 6.

I do agree though the content is quite easy in general, they are learning year 9-10 level maths. Lol things like basic graphing and consumer arithmetic (Compound interest) :)...

But for Standard, the content isn't that easy and it's slightly less difficult than Advanced English. Only bad thing is the people doing Standard English, the things you study is quite interesting :p

ArmenianBoy

HSC
Guys, If i finished with an English raw mark of about 75

What do you think it would get rounded off to?

I know it depends how bad every 1 else does...

But could you give me a range

like will it drop my ATAR alot? or just abit

coz i need an ATAR of 80 :)

I can get band 5s for everything except english :/

iBibah

HSC
We would need to know your school rank and your internal rank and even then it's quite inaccurate for us to say.

pt1

HSC

Edit:
My subjects are
English Standard (7/98)
Math ext 1 (4/15)
Math ext 2 (1/5)
Physics (3/25)
Chemistry (2/26)
Hey Jeremy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)