Is there any way to install aux into my old car? (1 Viewer)

mysterymarkplz

HSC
N/A
So my car is pretty old, its a 2005 corolla i think. I want to be able to play music in the car from my phone and i cbf burning songs onto a CD or listening to radio, so does anyone know how I can install aux into my car?

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
How old is pretty old? does it have a tape deck? If it does...

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
The other option is the FM transmitters that plug into the cigarette lighter.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Just replace the head unit.
If it's a Corolla from that era, they didn't have integrated head units yet so you should have a nice easy single or double DIN slot to replace the head unit and this will be both the cleanest (and probably most fun) way to add new features to your car. Most big JB Hifis (not the city stores though) have a car audio section and you can get a price quote on the head unit + installation.

I personally would steer clear of the FM transmitters as the quality is pretty lousy and you'll end up regretting it (or at least I did when I tried a few different units back in 2006 before writing it off and just buying a proper AUX iPod control from Dension for my Civic).

mysterymarkplz

HSC
N/A
How much was the installation + the aux control device when you bought it?

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
How much was the installation + the aux control device when you bought it?
Just do it yourself, it's pretty much a plug and play install. Just Google the instructions for your make and model, there'll be guides out there.

coolies1

HSC
How much is it normally cost to install headunit + speakers + subwoofer?

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
Depends hugely on the quality of what you're after and whether you do it yourself. Can be low hundreds to many thousands.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
You'd also most likely need an amplifier if you are going down the subwoofer route. If you're buying an aftermarket head unit, it'll probably have some (small amount of) amplification which will be sufficient for speakers.

I personally went for the 4 channel amplifier with 2 of the channels powering front speakers + tweeters (as I kept the original head unit) and the 2 other channels bridging to power the subwoofer - but this isn't for everyone and is a bit of a compromise.

In your case though, I'd just change the head unit (and ensure it has RCA pre-outs - this is essential to enable you to upgrade later on) and if you really want the bass, then get a monoblock amplifier (i.e. just for subwoofer) and a sub. I haven't looked into this in a while but for a budget (but not crap) set up, I'd probably expect to pay around $150-250 for the head unit depending on features/look/etc. Speakers of even $50 would be an improvement over what is included from factory in your car but again depending on head unit (or if you plan to get amplifiers) you could go for more expensive speakers or components/splits. Amplifier will be at least $150 if on sale and a subwoofer with case another $150?

Not sure if Strathfield Car Radios is still around but them and JB Hifi would be where I'd look. And Autobarn.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
how about installing airplay in your car.

I remember might car mods did a DIY on the installation.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
how about installing airplay in your car.

I remember might car mods did a DIY on the installation.
Not worth the hassle IMO of having to create your own wireless network, install an Apple TV, etc... either go with a head unit which features Bluetooth audio support (preferably with the higher quality codec) or just use a cable to plug in to the USB port (most head units offer iPod/iPhone control via USB) and this way you'll get better audio quality + charge your iPhone/iPod simultaneously.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
Not worth the hassle IMO of having to create your own wireless network, install an Apple TV, etc... either go with a head unit which features Bluetooth audio support (preferably with the higher quality codec) or just use a cable to plug in to the USB port (most head units offer iPod/iPhone control via USB) and this way you'll get better audio quality + charge your iPhone/iPod simultaneously.
so like maybe this ?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Can't watch the video at work but I assume as long as the head unit supports iPod control you'll be sweet. If you don't really care about audio quality too much but like a pretty looking display with GPS then go for something like that. Depends on your budget. Probably worth being mindful that a snazzy looking head unit becomes a bit of a theft target so you might need to get used to taking off the faceplate.

mysterymarkplz

HSC
N/A
I just got my head unit installed on sunday, thanks guys :D The aux is fine, theres a bit of static but nothing noticeable if the music is loud or windows are slightly rolled down.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
I just got my head unit installed on sunday, thanks guys :D The aux is fine, theres a bit of static but nothing noticeable if the music is loud or windows are slightly rolled down.
Increase the volume on the playback device and reduce the amp gain on your headunit to reduce static.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Increase the volume on the playback device and reduce the amp gain on your headunit to reduce static.
Yeah this. Effectively the amp will also be increasing the interference signal as well as the music signal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)