Is there anyone left!?!?! (1 Viewer)

Thosethatrun

HSC
Hi so I was wondering if anyone on BOS is doing Chemistry of Art as an option for the 2014 HSC because it really seems like my school is the only one doing it this year. The last post here was in 2010, 4 years ago. PLEASE TELL ME MY SCHOOL IS NOT ALONE!

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Your school is probably not the only one-but it will be hard to find someone doing this option topic-you have a better chance if you asked this on the general chemistry or General Discussion for 2014 HSC forums-they are more active-and more people look through them.

Thosethatrun

HSC
yes, that's probably a good idea. :) (I was worried the post would get lost...) Thank you for replying though

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Hey :) my school's not doing it but it looks like the most interesting of the electives to me so I'm thinking of taking it by myself. So I guess you're not alone

Thosethatrun

HSC
Virtual high five! I saw you one another forum about doing 14 units, it's impressive you are still doing it. I was on 14 for the whole of prelim and one term of hsc but then I dropped modern history :( Your ranks are better than mine though :) GOOD LUCK! Let me know if you are doing chemistry of art...

ps. is your name a reference to e.e. cummings poem "not even the rain has such small hands"? (obv. not the title, but that's the line))

Last edited:

bangladesh

HSC
Doing chemistry of art is literally the best thing your school can do. I did chem of art and got a mid band 6 for chemistry. The syllabus is much shorter than the other options and once you understand the concept, it becomes SOOO MUCH easier. It also helps you a lot in first year chemistry which is also a good thing.

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Virtual high five! I saw you one another forum about doing 14 units, it's impressive you are still doing it. I was on 14 for the whole of prelim and one term of hsc but then I dropped modern history :( Your ranks are better than mine though :) GOOD LUCK! Let me know if you are doing chemistry of art...

ps. I saw your name on the thread about 14 units, good luck! I was on 14 for whole of prelim and one term of hsc but ultimately made the decision to drop modern history :( My ranks are not as good as yours though haha
pps. is your name a reference to e.e. cummings poem "not even the rain has such small hands"? (obv. not the title, but that's the line))
Yeah still going with the 14 units, one of them is non-ATAR religion though, so it takes time out of my day to go to class but otherwise I don't really have to do much :) my ranks are good, but I go to a smaller school on the far south coast, most of my classes have 10-15 people and about a quarter of my year isn't going for an ATAR, so it's not like I'm first in everything at Sydney Girls' or anything :) I've definitely settled on Chemistry of Art now, and have been seriously worried that I might have been the only person in the state doing it or something. Good to see your whole class will be taking it too. Finding textbooks that cover it is next to impossible I swear, I think I'll just use the internet and get resources for each dot point/concept. My teacher is really good too which is lucky, if he wasn't I don't think I'd even try. Have you found any other school that's doing it yet?
And yeah, my name is referring to that :)

Last edited:

Thosethatrun

HSC
Well when I say my whole class, there is actually only nine of us... Science isn't exactly popular at my school. Our teacher seems to have sheets and stuff but we don't really have a textbook either. And no, I have not found any other schools yet but maybe I should post in a more popular board. (I just figured that anyone doing chem of art would know that it's pretty rare and would go looking for other people.) (my school seems to like doing the rarer options esp. in English, Crucible, The Great Gatsby and EBB sonnets, George Orwell essays (I think our cohort makes up 1/4 of all George Orwell students in the state), JC )

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Well when I say my whole class, there is actually only nine of us... Science isn't exactly popular at my school. Our teacher seems to have sheets and stuff but we don't really have a textbook either. And no, I have not found any other schools yet but maybe I should post in a more popular board. (I just figured that anyone doing chem of art would know that it's pretty rare and would go looking for other people.) (my school seems to like doing the rarer options esp. in English, Crucible, The Great Gatsby and EBB sonnets, George Orwell essays (I think our cohort makes up 1/4 of all George Orwell students in the state), JC )
Wow, I don't know anyone doing Orwell's essays, maybe the heads of department think that if they go with more obscure options there'll be less competition for high marks or something? I'd say 9 people doing chem of art wouldn't be too far off 1/4 of the state cohort, looking at the overwhelming number of replies this thread has. I haven't started my option yet but when I do I can on any good resources I can find to you if you want?

photastic

HSC
Wow, I don't know anyone doing Orwell's essays, maybe the heads of department think that if they go with more obscure options there'll be less competition for high marks or something? I'd say 9 people doing chem of art wouldn't be too far off 1/4 of the state cohort, looking at the overwhelming number of replies this thread has. I haven't started my option yet but when I do I can on any good resources I can find to you if you want?
Baulkham Hills does Chemistry in Art, everyone does Industrial followed by Pirates. Agreed with Orwell, only a few schools like Fort St (either orwell or Levertov their doing) and my school. Probably the hardest module out of the 3.

Thosethatrun

HSC
It's sort of nice to find other people who do the same obscure options/modules as you do.

SuchSmallHands I will do the same. Our chem teacher is a bit iffy, he decided to do chem of art first, before chemical monitoring and management so...

aarondapho I do all the same subjects as you except for SOR I (I do English Ext). I don't know about Orwell being the hardest, but given the panic and stress our English department is going through, I wouldn't be surprised. (also the crap half yearly marks everyone got). It's the second year they've done Orwell and they looked at last years results and told us it wasn't any better or worse than usual (i.e. whatever our school used for mod b before). Oh well, we'll find out in six months.

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
Assuming I take my current Year 11's through to the HSC, we will be doing this option :)

Can tie in quite well with some aspects of Q2Q in Physics too. Definitely the most relevant to future studies in chem also imho.

Axio

=o
HSC
Yeah I think it would probably be one of the more interesting modules

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Assuming I take my current Year 11's through to the HSC, we will be doing this option :)

Can tie in quite well with some aspects of Q2Q in Physics too. Definitely the most relevant to future studies in chem also imho.
Such a good pairing with Q2Q, a bit on Pauli, a lot on Bohr, a slight knowledge of de Broglie doesn't hurt. And absolutely the most relevant for later chem studies, that's why I chose it!

emilios

HSC
I regret not doing this option. Looking through the syllabus, it seems like there's a lot of stuff I already know from Q2Q. When I asked if I should do this on my own, everyone on BOS was like "nah just do what your school does". Well, going to a 300 ranked school, I pretty much ended up learning most of Industrial on my own anyway.

Industrial is so deceptive. It looks easy, but learning about industry is horrible. Like really idc if the process is carried out at 300C and 1atm or 400C and xkPa.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)