Is there still a point in trying for externals here? (1 Viewer)

EricTsunami

HSC
I'm doing accelerated SOR 1. I've heard that your internal rank determines the mark you receive for externals. I didn't do too well in SOR 1 for internals, which means my rank isnt too good. My cohort isnt really the best either, as not many are trying. Is there much of a point of trying for externals. (Note, this doens't make or break my atar if I do poorly because I have 11 other units that I will likely perform better in)

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Your rank in a particular subject (in this case Studies of Religion I) is one of two elements that is involved in determining your Assessment Mark (internal mark), the other element used being Examination Marks achieved by you and other students in your cohort. This is known as the moderation process. This process does not determine your Examination Mark (your HSC exam mark), i.e. your internal rank does not determine the mark that you receive for externals. Your Examination Mark is largely dependent on your own performance in your SOR I HSC exam and is not affected by factors such as your rank relative to your cohort or your school rank.

Because of this, unless you are certain that you would be better off preparing for your other subjects next year with the aim of maximising your performance (as you mentioned, SOR I will not count towards your ATAR if it is your lowest performing subject since you are taking 11 other units), you should thoroughly prepare for your exam in this subject. This would also be my personal recommendation because this is the only HSC exam that you have to worry about as of right now, so you definitely have nothing to lose.

I hope this helps! :D

EricTsunami

HSC
Your rank in a particular subject (in this case Studies of Religion I) is one of two elements that is involved in determining your Assessment Mark (internal mark), the other element used being Examination Marks achieved by you and other students in your cohort. This is known as the moderation process. This process does not determine your Examination Mark (your HSC exam mark), i.e. your internal rank does not determine the mark that you receive for externals. Your Examination Mark is largely dependent on your own performance in your SOR I HSC exam and is not affected by factors such as your rank relative to your cohort or your school rank.

Because of this, unless you are certain that you would be better off preparing for your other subjects next year with the aim of maximising your performance (as you mentioned, SOR I will not count towards your ATAR if it is your lowest performing subject since you are taking 11 other units), you should thoroughly prepare for your exam in this subject. This would also be my personal recommendation because this is the only HSC exam that you have to worry about as of right now, so you definitely have nothing to lose.

I hope this helps! :D

I see, thank you for the clarification. Since that is the case, I'll take your advice and prepare for this exam as a safety precaution.

carrotsss

HSC
I’m in a similar position here (trials improved my ranks but not enough), and imo it’s still worth trying because:
- It’s quite easy to get close to 50/50 in SOR by just doing lots of practice and getting feedback
- Since we have time to do that right now (without any other hsc exams), we might as well try hard
- No how bad your internals are an external close to 50/50 will result in a good mark
- It could save me if I mess up a subject in year 12 by making up for one unit which would be quite nice to have as a backup

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)