Is this guy telling the truth? (1 Viewer)

Hscbuzman

HSC
@Expulso said "There it is, the classic Grammar kid. A couple of state ranks in the language subjects and suddenly you're gonna beat Ruse. Also isn't your head of English married to one of the guys at NESA or something? I heard at my school that authorities might investigate Grammar for how similar the questions were."

Is he telling the truth?

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Maybe I mean Private schools have a known history which isn't exactly a good one.

Expulso

HSC
I'm not sure but some kids in my school had access to the Grammar Trial papers and were discussing how similar they were to the HSC with our schools head of English and she said she was gonna do something about it (i.e. where the investigation comes in) . idk if that NESA relationship thing is real but it might be just a rumour. Also theres a chance that Grammar just got lucky, but they got lucky with both Mod C and Paper 1? When NESA could've picked anything. Seems a bit dodgy to me.

falstaff212

HSC
I'm not sure but some kids in my school had access to the Grammar Trial papers and were discussing how similar they were to the HSC with our schools head of English and she said she was gonna do something about it (i.e. where the investigation comes in) . idk if that NESA relationship thing is real but it might be just a rumour. Also theres a chance that Grammar just got lucky, but they got lucky with both Mod C and Paper 1? When NESA could've picked anything. Seems a bit dodgy to me.
Hi all. I’m from Grammar.

(1) I have never heard even the slightest rumour that our head of English is married to someone from NESA. Could you (or @Hscbuzman) provide a source for this?

(2) Yes, our Nineteen Eighty-Four question was similar to the one in the HSC, but to claim that this must mean our English department is conspiring with NESA is ludicrous. I know the teachers who wrote our trial, and I have absolute faith in their integrity. As for your claims about Mod C, I do not understand them - our trials did not have a Mod C section, and the Mod C assessment that we did do in Term 2 was just a very “standard” question of the type that most schools would have done (i.e. 12/8 mark split, write in creative/discursive/whatever form based on a given stimulus). Our stimulus in that assessment was a one-line quotation about writers writing in order to “seek the truth” - I don’t see how this is at all similar to the HSC question, which had a lengthy stimulus about books turning someone’s worldview upside down.

This sort of fearmongering is completely unproductive. Additionally, the user who claimed to be from Grammar in the first place (@mal22113) does not in fact attend Grammar (or, as he prefers to spell it, Grammer) - his post history indicates that he wrote about The Crucible, whereas we studied Nineteen Eighty-Four for the Common Module, and he also claimed that his Mod C trial question was similar to the HSC question (whereas I have already mentioned that we did not even have a Mod C question in our trial)... I’m not sure what someone could possibly get out of pretending to go to a certain school, but there you go.

Last edited:

Expulso

HSC

(1) I have never heard even the slightest rumour that our head of English is married to someone from NESA. Could you (or @Hscbuzman) provide a source for this?

(2) Yes, our Nineteen Eighty-Four question was similar to the one in the HSC, but to claim that this must mean our English department is conspiring with NESA is ludicrous. I know the teachers who wrote our trial, and I have absolute faith in their integrity. As for your claims about Mod C, I do not understand them - our trials did not have a Mod C section, and the Mod C assessment that we did do in Term 2 was just a very “standard” question of the type that most schools would have done (i.e. 12/8 mark split, write in creative/discursive/whatever form based on a given stimulus). Our stimulus in that assessment was a one-line quotation about writers writing in order to “seek the truth” - I don’t see how this is at all similar to the HSC question, which had a lengthy stimulus about books turning someone’s worldview upside down.

This sort of fearmongering is completely unproductive. Additionally, the user who claimed to be from Grammar in the first place (@mal22113) does not in fact attend Grammar (or, as he prefers to spell it, Grammer) - his post history indicates that he wrote about The Crucible, whereas we studied Nineteen Eighty-Four for the Common Module, and he also claimed that his Mod C trial question was similar to the HSC question (whereas I have already mentioned that we did not even have a Mod C question in our trial)... I’m not sure what someone could possibly get out of pretending to go to a certain school, but there you go.
My apologies. I simply heard things at my school and they were probably simply rumours.

Thanks for clearing it up. :)

99.96ATAR

HSC

You'll be hearing from my lawyer mate....

Arrowshaft

HSC

Grammar intellect shows. Argument well tackled mate. Also, I agree about your point about fear mongering; just another reason for students to unnecessarily procrastinate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)