Is this true? (1 Viewer)

Yolando

Banned
HSC
N/A
I have my careers teacher for role call and I was chatting to him.

Anyway. Assume this is the main round.

If I have a my preferences in order of ATAR- because they match up that way- I have less chance getting into a degree perferenced say 6th than someone who has it 1st?

Is this true.

To clear it up

Say I got 90, and someone else got 90.

We both have the same courses, however I have it 6th and he has it 1st.

Assuming I don't get offers for above courses, do i have less chance getting a offer than the person who preferenced it first?

SunnyScience

HSC
yes- because all the spots may be taken by everyone else then.

I think.

Yolando

Banned
HSC
N/A
Cool.

It just came to me when he told me.

My first perference is a 88.25 ATAR cut off (Economics + Applied Finance). Fingers cross i get it

lvella10

HSC
Curious after reading this , what would happen if the person whom has it lower on their preferences got a much higher atar than the individual whom has it listed first? I assume as course entries are cutoffs, this wouldn't matter and they'd still miss out?
I.e I have dental 3rd on my preferences after med .. If I fail to get into med, the likelihood of dent (assuming sufficient applicants have it listed higher on preferences ) would be next to nil, as they'd have satisfied all placements already ? Or do they save places for cases like this, where individuals have it lower, based on the necessity to have other courses higher ?

Last edited:

Yolando

Banned
HSC
N/A
Curious after reading this , what would happen if the person whom has it lower on their preferences got a much higher atar than the individual whom has it listed first? I assume as course entries are cutoffs, this wouldn't matter and they'd still miss out?
I.e I have dental 3rd on my preferences after med .. If I fail to get into med, the likelihood of dent (assuming sufficient applications have higher it listed higher on preferences ) would be next to nil, as they'd have satisfied places already ? Or do they save places for cases like this, where individuals have it lower, based on the necessity to have other courses higher ?

I am not sure what you are asking.

lvella10

HSC
Person A - applies dental science first preference atar of 90
Person B - Applies dental science third prefernce atar of 98+
If multiple people apply for dental science replicating person A's preference and atar, would person B miss out on an offer?

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
if it's the first round offer, and you don't have an atar high enough for your first 5 preferences, but do have a high enough atar for your 6th preference, you will get your 6th preference

Yolando

Banned
HSC
N/A
If multiple people apply for dental science replicating person A's preference and atar, would person B miss out on an offer?
Most likely not. Due to the much higher ATAR, person B should just make it.

(Can anyone confirm)

Yolando

Banned
HSC
N/A
if it's the first round offer, and you don't have an atar high enough for your first 5 preferences, but do have a high enough atar for your 6th preference, you will get your 6th preference
How about in main round?

lvella10

HSC
Thanks for that :)

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
If you get a high enough atar to get into your first preference you don't get any further offers.

xdosha

HSC
If you get a high enough atar to get into your first preference you don't get any further offers.
What if you decide, that the first preference, is not for you anymore?

You wont get any other offers?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Nope.

If you have it 6th and its the first one you can get into, and they have it 1st and they can get into it, you will both be offered that course.

They won't give the person with it 1st first preference, it's done by UAC not the Unis so there is no bias to the people that prefer somewhere else.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
How about in main round?
ooops thats what i meant

uni entry is based on supply and demand. they rank everyone who wants to get into a course by there atar, and the top X number of students get in, so that happens all at once, you only get one offer, so as long as your atar is high enough for any one of your entries then you will be guaranteed a spot in one of your preferences.

the atar cutoff for a course is pretty much the lowest atar of someone to get into the course(well it should be, bonus points, and early entry can stuff that round)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
person B would get it over person A.

They would both get it, unless the cutoff raised due to more people like person B applying and raising the cutoff making person A not get it.

How about in main round?
That is main round.

What if you decide, that the first preference, is not for you anymore?

You wont get any other offers?
change your preferences for the next round and hope they aren't full.

I did this and got 4 offers for uni.

Early - BSc(Adv) @ UWS
Main - BE/BMedSc @ USyd
Late - BMedSc(Adv) @ UWS
Final - BSc(Adv) @ USyd

Just keep changing and you'll be sure to get offers somewhere.

Yay.

But BMedSc @ UNSW fills up after first round. :/

So order of perferences doesn't really matter (for first few)
put what you want most at the top, followed by next most wanted, and so on and so forth from there.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
ooops thats what i meant

uni entry is based on supply and demand. they rank everyone who wants to get into a course by there atar, and the top X number of students get in, so that happens all at once, you only get one offer, so as long as your atar is high enough for any one of your entries then you will be guaranteed a spot in one of your preferences.

the atar cutoff for a course is pretty much the lowest atar of someone to get into the course(well it should be, bonus points, and early entry can stuff that round)
except some courses have fixed ATAR cutoffs and you don't get in unless you reach them e.g. BSc(adv) at most places is 95.

lvella10

HSC
Thanks for the help Riproot :) Good luck for med too, might see you there

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
No it is not true. The cut-off is independent of what preference you put it as.

So if the cut-off is 90 and two people put the course as 1st and 9th respectively, they both get in - if they have an ATAR of 90 or higher. Simple.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)