Isaac Asimov? (1 Viewer)

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Anyone here interested in the wiritngs of Isaac Asimov?

I'm nearly finished the Asimov chronicles, a collection of fifty short stories, one from each year of his life. He did have a hell of an imagination. And I love Susan Clavin as a character. She is such a cold, calculatingly logical woman.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm a bit clueless when it comes to this but I like robot-related stuff.. so are these stories about robots?

*sorry i'm too lazy to go find the blurb on dymocks.com* =P

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
The Foundation series is his greatest masterpiece.

Aznpsycho

Supplies!
HSC
N/A
Only the first three Foundations are worth reading. Still, the sheer scope and ambition of the universe is incredibly fascinating, and the realpolitikal trickery used by the Foundationers is amusingly engrossing.

The thing is, when Asimov uses Robots, they are often not to be the primary focus of the story. For instance, 'The Naked Sun' is much more of a detective story, while 'Bicentennial Man' is more of a reflection of the nature of humanity.

A caveat: if you are looking for human interaction and witty banter, Asimov is not for you. I would recommend Terry Pratchett, but I would recommend Pratchett regardless.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Asmivo is the granddaddy of robots. He is credited with inventing the word robotics. Most of his robot stories are short stories. Most of them concern robots in some way and in some they are the point of the story. Some of them concern various scenarios that affect the laws etc. Some of his other stories concern certain questions, as to what makes a human being, etc.
If you want witty banter then read the stories involving George and Azazel. It's actually satire, but it doesn't have robots.

Aznpsycho

Supplies!
HSC
N/A
Enlightened_One said:
George and Azazel
Ah yes, I forgot about this series. It's rather obvious and contrived, but the sheer quaintness of their conversations is what makes it worth reading. The trick is to imagine a stuffy old english chap narrating it to you.

HSC
Yes Asimov rocks. I like Susan Calvin too but I like her because she's always right!

dandel26

HSC
i got extremely bored of the foundation series, the plots are seriously ridiculous, they could have been so good, but he fucked them up. His characters in the first 2 are brilliant but towards the end he just gives up on characterisation altogether. I was bitterly disappointed cause i love sci-fi

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)