James Ruse Admissions Test And Interview In A Couple Of Months (1 Viewer)

Initiating_Spin

HSC
Hey Guys

Basically I'm trying to get into Ruse in July to join their Year 11 Cohort Next Year. Anyone who's done the exam and interview (or any other selective schools) do you have any tips as to how to be successful? Any subjects I should really practice? Any questions that might be on the interview? Help would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks everybody!

idkkdi

HSC
Hey Guys

Basically I'm trying to get into Ruse in July to join their Year 11 Cohort Next Year. Anyone who's done the exam and interview (or any other selective schools) do you have any tips as to how to be successful? Any subjects I should really practice? Any questions that might be on the interview? Help would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks everybody!
interview is customary for quite a few schools, not sure if ruse is one.

royalflush

HSC
I was in your position last year applying to join ruse in year 11 and I'm now at ruse, so I can give you a few pointers.

Not sure if this year will remain the same (as with all the advice I'll give here), but there are 4 test sections, 1 for math, 2 for english, and another that was fairly general (I believe).

I would say don't stress about math as that was an extremely easy section. Just brush up on your writing skills (creative last year) and write to a few visual or verbal stimuli (it was a 25min writing session last year)

Your results from the tests will be weighed against the results of 'samples' from your cohort, and I'm assuming they look at your written application too before selecting people for interview.

In the interview you chat for 10min with the principal or the deputy principals and you get ask general interview questions. My best advice would be to think about what you specifically have to offer and any special experiences you've learnt from in the past. Then you can practice to a common interview questions like 'What do you do in your free time?' or 'What are your favourite subjects and why?' or 'What do you have to offer to the school', etc. So all in all, just try to relax and get into the flow of speaking (make sure you don't speak too quickly like I did) and also just treat the interviewer as a friend that you're meeting for the first time.

Anyways, good luck and I hope to see you around school next year :)

s97127

HSC
I was in your position last year applying to join ruse in year 11 and I'm now at ruse, so I can give you a few pointers.

Not sure if this year will remain the same (as with all the advice I'll give here), but there are 4 test sections, 1 for math, 2 for english, and another that was fairly general (I believe).

I would say don't stress about math as that was an extremely easy section. Just brush up on your writing skills (creative last year) and write to a few visual or verbal stimuli (it was a 25min writing session last year)

Your results from the tests will be weighed against the results of 'samples' from your cohort, and I'm assuming they look at your written application too before selecting people for interview.

In the interview you chat for 10min with the principal or the deputy principals and you get ask general interview questions. My best advice would be to think about what you specifically have to offer and any special experiences you've learnt from in the past. Then you can practice to a common interview questions like 'What do you do in your free time?' or 'What are your favourite subjects and why?' or 'What do you have to offer to the school', etc. So all in all, just try to relax and get into the flow of speaking (make sure you don't speak too quickly like I did) and also just treat the interviewer as a friend that you're meeting for the first time.

Anyways, good luck and I hope to see you around school next year :)
Congrats. Do you have straight A for all subjects and what extra curricular activities did you do?
I know a few people who made it in to JR but they could not keep up with JR students. How do
you rank yourself against JR students who have been there since y7? Thanks

s97127

HSC
>> there are 4 test sections, 1 for math, 2 for english, and another that was fairly general

what kind of questions were in the last section? Were they like GA in selective school test?

royalflush

HSC
>> there are 4 test sections, 1 for math, 2 for english, and another that was fairly general

what kind of questions were in the last section? Were they like GA in selective school test?
I can't remember if there even is a 4th section, but none of it was particularly difficult. If I were to guess I'd say maybe 3 sections were english (writing, reading comprehension, and grammar?)

royalflush

HSC
Congrats. Do you have straight A for all subjects and what extra curricular activities did you do?
I know a few people who made it in to JR but they could not keep up with JR students. How do
you rank yourself against JR students who have been there since y7? Thanks
I'll keep my response general here, but at the school I went to before ruse it was mostly straight A's.

In terms of ECs I was part of a very good band (outside of school), was in a few sport competitions (nothing particularly high level), and school clubs/interschool debating, etc. Don't worry about the ECs you have too much, it's more the way you portray those ECs as part of your experience in becoming a type of person that has something valuable to offer to the community.

If you get accepted to ruse, you're most definitely above average at school, and even within transfers there is a variability in skill set and skill level.

Hope that helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)