jewellery making (1 Viewer)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
So I took up jewellery making the other day, and it got me wondering who here does it.

If noone, then this thread will bomb, but hey, if you do, then chatter away here.

Share your ideas, favourite materials, whatever.

Skeeta

HSC
i've got friends who actually started making their own jewlerry for fun, but now run a business.. some of their stuff is gorgeous

i've made a few things, mostly random beads or beaded necklaces i've bought overseas, pulled to pieces and reinvented (or at least tried to)

dan_ster

HSC
Why make your own when the jewellery you buy is actually worth something and might even look good? Or is the satisfaction of making jewellery much greater than just buying diamonds/gold?:confused:

SuGa BunI =D

broken doo dooo booo
HSC
why? because:
1. its not on the market
2. its one of a kind
3. an expression of creativity
4. satisfaction of making jewellery much greater than just buying diamonds/gold

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Why? Well, why not?

I've wanted a hobby for a while, but couldn't settle on one that felt right to me. Take scrap booking, you spend hours doing up pretty pages for your book, put your photos in, then maaaaaaybe look at it once in a blue moon if you're lucky. Whereas jewellery making, you get to wear it and enjoy it all the time. There is something satisfying about being productive like that.

As well, I get to make something exactly as I want it, even if I screw up I can pull it all apart and start over again.

HSC
N/A
I used to be a beader - I still have three massive boxes full of beads in my room :D I made bracelets and necklaces - nothing fancy, just the bead/thread/clasp variety (with some minor "loop"/"chain" things going on). I've since used a lot of the beads in costumes but always like to think I'll go back to beading one day - I never really had the guts to do any of the complex patterns (because I've never been taught how to do it properly).

Something I got into recently was... how do you call it... chain work? In a nutshell, I wanted a new coinbelt for a belly dance costume but couldn't be bothered buying one over the internet. So I bought myself 300 coins, thousands of little jump rings and two needle-nosed pliers... and now I have a coin belt! :D I'll be starting another one later this year, the materials last time were a bit too light and flimsy for a belt (but perfect for say, a necklace or bracelet or something). The hard part for me is finding good coins - often they're REALLY expensive (eg from beading shops) or they're hard to get (eg the extremely cheap bulk-buy ones imported from Egypt or something).

Last edited:

tres bien

you suck.
HSC
N/A
I tried it once, I lost interest. My sister made some jewellery for her friends as gifts, and they loved the stuff she made.

A girl from school used to make rings and stuff and sold the rings for like 12 bucks each to whoever wanted them. I think she sold some on ebay too. They were nice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)