• Got a question on how to use our new website? Check out our user guide here!

julio claudians (1 Viewer)

atreus

HSC
for those of u who did julio claudians, how many of u picked the year of the four emperors question?

HSC
19 people in my year did the Julio-Claudians and only one picked the Year of the Four Emperors question

shariken

HSC
Didn't do that one because I only had at least 3 or 4 paragrahs on it altogether because the whole part of nero and year of the four emperors our class had to do it ourselves. So lol that was all I found.

HSC
yes my class was pretty sure the year of the four emperors wasn't going to come up. haha...damn. my teacher gave us a sheet on it so we didn't really cover it all that well. everyone chose the other question. hey if u guys did that question which emperor did you choose. i was boring and chose good old Tiberius

J e S s

HSC
I don't think anyone in my class did the year of the four emporers. I did Claudius. I think I knew enough about him but I didnt actually get all the info down in a very "together" way... damn. lol. Can't change it now though, did the best I could!

HSC
I did Claudius because it was basically the same question as the trial, for which I got 22/25. I managed to get 8 solid pages out, and I think I covered just about everything. :)

I wonder if anyone did Caligula? :confused:

gracerawl88

HSC
i would have done caligula, he rocked! but mainly knew about his flaws rather than his policies n such. i did claudius and used gaius tho as a start off for claudius fixing the stuff he f*kd up. eg, ag reforms, army etc.

we only have 4 in our class. all did question a) as we didnt really do anything on the 4 emperors.. only really vespasian.

anyone watch the mini series on nero on last week on SBS?

HSC
I used Gaius as a basis for many of Claudius' reforms as well, such as how he changed Gaius' policy regarding client-kingdoms and stuff. There isn't really enough information on Caligula to do a 25 mark essay on him.

nikturner

HSC
Everyone at my school did a) coz our teacher said they never ask about the four emporers so we didnt do it lol lucky there was an option. i did tiberius for mine i took awhile to decide coz i knew about the same amount on all of them, which wasnt much lol but i think itll suffice

rafter88

HSC
I agree, i did Nero and i think i did ok but the ideas were a bit scrambled. I think only one or two people in our class did the year of the 4 emporers, we had done an essay on it though....

ryan2k6

HSC
man i was heaps surprised there was a yr4emp question...my teacher told us there almost 100 percent wouldnt be..how wrong
no themes question either?
Did all my study on Claudius...hoping there would be a princeps question and highly doubted it would be Gaius or Tiberius leaving a 50 percent chance of getting claudius or nero :p
Awesome question...defintely best fit by Claudius :)

atreus

HSC
i chose the year of the four emperors, because i didnt think i could write a flowing, sustained response on an individual emperor.

even though it was an 'explain' question which is deemed easier than the 'assess', i think both questions were pretty equal. for those of you who did the year of the four emperors in detail, was your main source wiedemann?

daniel.graham

Artiste Extraordinaire
HSC
I did Tiberius' reforms and how he was too much of a coward to try to do anything other than be Augustus. I had predicted that they wouldn't do year of the four emperors. A mate of mine did the AD 69 one, but apparently talked about how the circumstances came about that Nero would be killed off and there'd be no Julian to replace him: basically how the civil war started, not just describing how Galba came and went, then Otho, etc etc.

How did everyone else attack that one?

atreus

HSC
i followed my essay plan i wrote three weeks ago:
- Nero's provincial problems -> revolts
- problems of succession because of annihilation of senatorial class
- galba- fails cos doesnt have support of praetorians
- otho- fails cos doesnt have support of rhine legions
- vitellius- fails cos doesnt have support of the provincial armies in the east (Vespasian's)
- Vespasian successful- avoiding problems plagued his predecessors, and able to establish Flavian dynasty.

HSC
i was tossing up between claudius and tiberius. i now realise i could have written more about claudius. i really really wanted to write about caligula (Rome's greatest emperor) but he didn't have and policies or reforms worth mentioning...did he have any...i dont think so too busy committing incest, making his horse consul and executing ppl.

Abhorsen

HSC
N/A
I chose the Year of the 4 Emperors question. I knew my stuff but wrote a crap essay because I couldn't remember half the things. I knew more about this than the other question which made me feel better. I basically wrote a crap version of what atreus said above.

Our teacher used to be a HSC marker and being an extremely knowledgeable person on ancient history, the course and how HSC markers worked was very certain they'd ask about the Year of the 4 Emperors. His reason was that it was the 1st year it was introduced into the course and that because it is only a small time frame most teachers wouldn't bother teaching it.

pink668

HSC
i chose question a, on tiberius- in terms of reforms and policies- i talked about the senate, building, political, administration, frontier, provincial, is that enough? post test worrying... what else should i have included?
how many quotes did you guys include?

fifi_gigi

HSC
Out of 20 in my class, only one did the year of the 4 emperors question....I did claudius- it was pretty good. Did anyone watch the Nero miniseries last weekend? It was fantastic for revision....

atreus

HSC
Abhorsen said:
Our teacher used to be a HSC marker and being an extremely knowledgeable person on ancient history, the course and how HSC markers worked was very certain they'd ask about the Year of the 4 Emperors. His reason was that it was the 1st year it was introduced into the course and that because it is only a small time frame most teachers wouldn't bother teaching it.
my teacher also said that, having marked ancient for ages. i dont know why other teachers thought it wouldnt be examined?

Keskimo

HSC
maybe because its called 'rome in time of the julio claudians' and not the flavians or whatever that dynasty was lol, we just didn't learn about it. i expected a general trend question as well, like on the senate or army.
i did claudius: talked about his centralised bureaucracies, frontier policy and provincial policy in relation to the other emperors...my assessment was that he was efficient but easily influenced...
i used about 4 or 5 quotes and paraphrased/name dropped quite a bit because my teacher said i needed to mention more historians - hope they don't pick up on that too much but they probably will lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)