just a few questions to maybe wake this sub-forum up! (1 Viewer)

jack white

After Hours
HSC
hello all.

has anyone started writing yet?
anyone finished?
how often should one reference in the CR?
do we need to annotate the bibliography?

i dunno. i just thought i'd try and give some life to this very quiet sub-forum by possibly prompting some RESPONSES.

(by the way, how rude is it that we have to wait 3 weeks for the next episode of Desperate Housewives ... i love trashy TV!!!!)

Jacks

HSC
hmmm desperate housewives...so very relevant :p

Anyways how often you reference in your critical response will depend. You really should be referencing not only direct quotes but ideas, concepts etc that you took from, or where inspired by another source. That being said you should have some sort of reference for each paragraph if it contains an argument or point of some kind. You should reference quite a lot, but each individual really has to decide for themselves based on their own work. So long as you reference all borrowed ideas...even those that got you thinking yourself you should be fine.

The bibliography does not have to be annotated, however you can if you like...it may help you to justify some things...it certainly won't hurt, but it is not a requirement as far as I know. I didn't include an annotated bibliography so unless things have changed in the last few years what you choose to do is up to you. You can always use your journal to reflect on the relevance or helpfulness of any particular text, if you choose not to do so in the bibliography itself.

jack white

After Hours
HSC
wow, there is life after all!

i have started writing...it feels great. i just hate referencing though, it kinda stops my "flow" if you know what i mean.

thank god. i really didn't want to do an annotated bib. i have 147 sources and that would be time-consuming. i've gone through my sources and picked the best 20 to narrow my focus.

hey jacks, how did you go for your major work CR? what did you do?

by the way (in case you wanted to know), my CR topic is "a critical examination of the lead character of A Clockwork Orange drawing on the philosophical discourses of punk nihilism, sadism and free will to understand his alluringly evil nature" (as you can see, i don't have a set title yet...that will come later)

what do ya think? too broad? too narrow? thumbs up or thumbs down?

any feedback would be appreciated.

cameronS

HSC
i think thats too specific, one character?

maybe you should look at the character archetype; focusing on 1 character in 1 film seems restrictive.

but thats me, and my opinion isnt worth much.

Last edited:

Jacks

HSC
it may not be too specific depending on what he's going to deal with...but having come up with a concept, if it does turn out to be too specific it can be edited later on, I'm sure that won't cause too many problems...that's all part of the process. Though your opinion counts for a lot :)

jack white

After Hours
HSC
yeah well i am focusing or "critically-responding" to the text A Clockwork Orange and seeing that everything in the text is constructed around or focused upon the lead character, Alex, i have found it more fitting and appealing to discuss his character within the form of both film and literature. Through this critical examination of Alex i will be able to make comments on the nature of evil (yet very likeable) characters (and narrators in Alex's case) and their indispensable function in both film and literature. My CR will also include other elements though that are brought to life through Alex's character and actions.

if i examined the whole text i would have to write 100, 000 words! even what i have chosen to write about is too broad - i need to narrow it down! i wish it was specific but i guess that's what the editing process is kinda about...

Last edited:

cameronS

HSC
"yet very likeable" - do you mean the character in the text, or the audience/character relationship?

i've never seen a clock work orange, its on my list though...

jack white

After Hours
HSC
cameronS said:
"yet very likeable" - do you mean the character in the text, or the audience/character relationship?

i've never seen a clock work orange, its on my list though...
well alex is manifestly evil but very likeable by an audience in the sense that he portrays violence in an artistic way; he has all these whimsical slang terms that are pleasant to hear (or read) and his rebel against authority/the state gives him endearing qualities especially when one realises that his violence isn't "for the sake of violence" but moreso a way of asserting his humanity - he must feel as if though he is free and can do anything he pleases in order to actually feel orang (malaysian for human). for that fact, we can warm to him easily.

personally, i believe that a character's "level of likeability" can only be decided by the audience/character relationship anyway. without an audience, a text is really nothing and therefore the character would be nothing.

P.S. YOU MUST SEE A CLOCKWORK ORANGE! It is a very bizzare movie (it is a Kubrick film) but i've noticed that you are doing your CR on Tarantino (so you are probably a fan of the weirder type of films - good on ya) so you will like it. If you enjoyed Pulp Fiction, you will definitely enjoy A Clockwork Orange - its bloody (pardon the pun) fantastic! but i am incredibly biased...

Last edited:

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
uggh everything i write is so craptastic. I wrote more today and its so crap. When i think it, it sounds good when it's actually written not so good.

boycee

HSC
i know how u feel

Hey guys

I know how u all feel ~ I just had a lesson yesterday arvo (hols even - i know) and that went for like 2 and a half hours. Every time I put in a partial draft the teacher gets "red pen happy" if u know what I mean. She was actually pretty nice yesterday, and wasn't too discouraging!

Anyway, hang in there guys, we'll all do fine in the end - it's just now it sucks!

What are all you guys doing for your CR's? I like ure idea jacks.

~boycee!~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)