just a tad confused (1 Viewer)

jason2kool

HSC
What would happen if I was ranked 7th out of 50 for a subject and i got 93 in the externals and beat everyone ranked better then me?
and my raw internal marks were like ~85...

I don't understand the rank system and how it impacts your final hsc mark :S

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
What would happen if I was ranked 7th out of 50 for a subject and i got 93 in the externals and beat everyone ranked better then me?

- The HSC Mark is the average of your Exam Mark (not influenced by your school) and your Assessment Mark (influenced by your school).
- The Exam Mark is purely on your own performance in the HSC exam.
- The Assessment Mark is based on your position within your cohort.
- Rank 1 and 50 receive top and bottom Exam Marks as their Assessment Mark respectively.
- Everyone in between is moderated such that you fit in between the top and bottom Exam Mark based on the marks your school submitted to obtain your Assessment Mark.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

Well then you would get 93 as your External HSC mark.

And you'd get something less than 93 for your Internal Assessment Mark because you're not ranked 1st. So since you're ranked seventh, you might get say... 85.

So your final HSC mark would be 89, in that case.

den10k

HSC
This is the biggest qualm that i have of the HSC.... you do ok all year, but suddenly at the HSC you get like 95 and the person with a school rank above you will get that mark. I recon that it should solely be based on your external performances (maybe including trials - marks not ranks)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
And if you bomb out in both?

The system is fairer than that. It rewards you for yearly work, not just if you had a good day on two exams. Plus, how can you determine how difficult an exam is? Moderation and ranks and all that reward you for consistent work and also allow schools who set very different tests and assignments in terms of difficulty and content, to be ranked on a common scale.

enak101

HSC
- The HSC Mark is the average of your Exam Mark (not influenced by your school) and your Assessment Mark (influenced by your school).
- The Exam Mark is purely on your own performance in the HSC exam.
- The Assessment Mark is based on your position within your cohort.
- Rank 1 and 50 receive top and bottom Exam Marks as their Assessment Mark respectively.
- Everyone in between is moderated such that you fit in between the top and bottom Exam Mark based on the marks your school submitted to obtain your Assessment Mark.
Ranked 1 and 50? Isn't it Ranked 1 and Ranked last? for that.

jason2kool

HSC
Well then you would get 93 as your External HSC mark.

And you'd get something less than 93 for your Internal Assessment Mark because you're not ranked 1st. So since you're ranked seventh, you might get say... 85.

So your final HSC mark would be 89, in that case.
hmm thats pretty gay, so I wouldn't end up with a band 6?

D94

HSC
N/A
hmm thats pretty gay, so I wouldn't end up with a band 6?
In that mock scenario that Shadow made up, you would not attain a B6. There is every chance that you will though.

Your moderated assessment mark will depend on how well you performed in school, not your rank. Your rank won't reflect how well you performed in school. Coming 7th by 2 marks from first is better than coming 7th by 15 marks from first place - it will make a difference when BOS determines your assessment mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)