just wondering... (1 Viewer)

zxreth

HSC
Hey guys, just wondering how you guys are all going with your assignments. I submitted mine this week and i know its quite cliche but it truly does feel like a lot has been lifted off my shoulders and it is the biggest relief. Just keep pushing it guys, i had a lot of late nights on this project so work hard even if it involves drinking 2-3 cans/cups of coffee/v/mother a night haha. Good Luck!

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
I finished mine quite a few weeks ago. (primarily because I have Trials this term, and my teacher wanted it completed before I commenced them). So it's been seen, edited, seen, edited, checked over and pretty much nothing is left to be done to it. Several teachers have seen it, and yeah all good comments back. Though I must agree the amount of relief I felt when I finished it up, was great to be able to concentrate on other subjects! Though, I do miss it. Was a task I really enjoyed doing, and loved doing the research for.

What topic did you end up looking at? (I know you've told me before, but I have hopeless memory, and my head is full of English and Ancient History jargon at the moment due to cramming for exams. >.>)

timme

HSC
回覆: Re: just wondering...

At my school it's due in 4ish weeks.
But anyway, I've basically finished it, just in the refining stage.

My teacher is so pedantic. Everyone lost 2-3 marks in the draft submissions (they are worth 1-3% each) because we underlined our sources in our bibliography, instead of italicising them!

Just wondering, are your teachers like this too, or is it just mine?

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
Re: 回覆: Re: just wondering...

Ahaha, yes my teacher is very pedantic also. Especially when it comes to essays and as such for the exam, not so much the project. But man, your teacher is especially pedantic, losing two marks for underlining, sheesh! Mine is nothing like that, just really antsy about word choice and condensing information, while keeping everything in a professional format.

timme

HSC
回覆: Re: 回覆: Re: just wondering...

Yeah, that's pretty normal of a teacher...but my one is just trying to make our lives horrible.
I almost lost a mark in the last draft we handed in cos I forgot to put a full-stop after each book/film/article in my bibliography.
Seriously....consider yourself lucky...

What case study is your school looking at for question 2?

timme

HSC
回覆: Re: 回覆: Re: just wondering...

also, I noticed your doing Modern as well! What are you doing for national, international and personality?

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
Re: 回覆: Re: 回覆: Re: just wondering...

Trust me I do consider myself lucky! My teacher is great, always so enthusiastic and kind, (and brings my lots of goodies to eat and coffee! - Yum Yum). Though, your teacher sounds VERY strict, though that is how they are in uni, especially about referencing and the bibliography!

How many people do History Extension at your school?

Also, I do the JFK case study for section II. For Modern, we've studied Germany 1918-1939 for National Study, Leni Riefenstahl for Personality (was so close to studying Albert Speer >.>), and we are going to study conflict in the Pacific 1937-1951 for our internal study. What options are you looking at?

Did you trek it to Sydney University for the HTA History Lectures the other week?

Last edited:
HSC

ours is due in about 4 weeks or so because we had trials this term.
i ended up doing the historicity of shakespeare's richard III.
its been a lot of work!

zxreth

HSC

wow! i reckon pedantic is seriously an understatement in regards to your teacher. i mean seriously, fullstops? my teacher is really easy-going the day i handed in my assignment he literally flicked through my process log (which was 4 pages) and said "yeah this is definately a 5". My topic is Tudor England. And we are also doing JFK for section 2.

jorja94

HSC

I wish ours were due this term.. I'm the biggest procrastinator and I know I won't get it finished until just before it's due, which is Week 2 next term!
In saying that, I'm pretty sure the a few of the other kids in my class haven't even conducted any real research on their topics - some of them are ridiculously lazy.
Is anyone, by chance, doing South Africa/Mandela or Anglo-Irish Conflict for Modern?

ArtemisOrthia

HSC

I wish ours were due this term.. I'm the biggest procrastinator and I know I won't get it finished until just before it's due, which is Week 2 next term!
In saying that, I'm pretty sure the a few of the other kids in my class haven't even conducted any real research on their topics - some of them are ridiculously lazy.
Is anyone, by chance, doing South Africa/Mandela or Anglo-Irish Conflict for Modern?
No unfortunately I'm not looking at those topics for Modern, my teacher is most confident teaching the German case studies, so that's what we are stuck with. (along with conflict in the Pacific, which I'm so revved up to start next term!)

And in terms of procrastination and the project, don't be too concerned. If you have done the research the writing part comes easy (or it did for me), and then you just need to have some spare time to go over and edit it with your teacher, and the voila its complete! The research for me took the longest, as I tried to find out every possible thing for the essay. Plus I like to dwell on the information at hand... n_n

What avenue will your major be derived from? Since you're not doing Ancient I'd presume you've chosen a Modern topic to work with?
Best of luck with getting it done! n_n It's not really any different to a normal assignment really, a part that you have (had) ages to do it! With a little kick in the pants I'm sure you'll get it done in no time! :)

timme

HSC
回覆: Re: 回覆: Re: 回覆: Re: just wondering...

Trust me I do consider myself lucky! My teacher is great, always so enthusiastic and kind, (and brings my lots of goodies to eat and coffee! - Yum Yum). Though, your teacher sounds VERY strict, though that is how they are in uni, especially about referencing and the bibliography!

How many people do History Extension at your school?

Also, I do the JFK case study for section II. For Modern, we've studied Germany 1918-1939 for National Study, Leni Riefenstahl for Personality (was so close to studying Albert Speer >.>), and we are going to study conflict in the Pacific 1937-1951 for our internal study. What options are you looking at?

Did you trek it to Sydney University for the HTA History Lectures the other week?
Hahaha, yes, my teacher keeps on reminding us that "...just wait till you're in uni!!!". yeah, she brings us sweets and stuff sometimes, I guess it's all just a bit of tuff-love hahaha.

Ummm.....hmm...there's around 15 of us? Give or take. How about at your school?

JKF...Me too! How are you finding it?

Ahh, for modern: IndoChina (International Study), Soviet Russia (National), and Trotsky for personality.

And no, our teacher told us about the study day, but she made us go to one at the end of last year at Macquarie University, so it'd almost defeat the purpose in hearing the same things again. I'm guessing you went? How did you find it?

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
Re: 回覆: Re: 回覆: Re: 回覆: Re: just wondering...

Hahaha, yes, my teacher keeps on reminding us that "...just wait till you're in uni!!!". yeah, she brings us sweets and stuff sometimes, I guess it's all just a bit of tuff-love hahaha.

Ummm.....hmm...there's around 15 of us? Give or take. How about at your school?

JKF...Me too! How are you finding it?

Ahh, for modern: IndoChina (International Study), Soviet Russia (National), and Trotsky for personality.

And no, our teacher told us about the study day, but she made us go to one at the end of last year at Macquarie University, so it'd almost defeat the purpose in hearing the same things again. I'm guessing you went? How did you find it?
Woah big class. >.> Bigger than my whole Modern class actually n_n'' Well, mine has umm 1 person, give or take :p Nah, just little ol' me, chilling with two teachers. >.> Was awkward at first, but now the two teachers just chill with each other and we have big debates and re-enactments... quite fun actually. But I totally relate to the tuff-love idea, they have to be cruel to be kind. So many essays I've had to do each week, though in the end it's all going to be worth it! :)

JFK, oh the fun. We have a system, where we draw a school of thought out of a Roman Infantry Helmet (cool eh?) and then debate (in-person) as Historians from those schools of thought about a particular area of debate. It's really lots of fun, great way to learn too! So I've really enjoyed doing JFK, my teachers have made it a really fun case study. We were going to try the Thucydidean Case Study but one of my teachers wasn't confident in teaching it, and it made her a little stressesd, so we stuck to JFK. n_n

Ahh, I love Russian History, would have loved to do your combo of electives for Modern! Too much Germany for my personal liking to be honest, love the National Study, but would have prefered an individual from another region. Oh well. :)

Yeah the Study Day was great, I thought it was a good revision tool especially for those that have trials coming up. It was a good way to formulate some succinct notes and preparation for the trial hsc exams! Btw, I wish you the best of luck for! Hope studying and preparation is coming along nicely for you! n_n Now, I 'should' be off to prepare for my Ancient Trial on Wednesday, but we'll see how that goes. :p

timme

HSC
回覆: Re: 回覆: Re: 回覆: Re: 回覆: Re: just wondering...

Woah big class. >.> Bigger than my whole Modern class actually n_n'' Well, mine has umm 1 person, give or take :p Nah, just little ol' me, chilling with two teachers. >.> Was awkward at first, but now the two teachers just chill with each other and we have big debates and re-enactments... quite fun actually. But I totally relate to the tuff-love idea, they have to be cruel to be kind. So many essays I've had to do each week, though in the end it's all going to be worth it! :)

JFK, oh the fun. We have a system, where we draw a school of thought out of a Roman Infantry Helmet (cool eh?) and then debate (in-person) as Historians from those schools of thought about a particular area of debate. It's really lots of fun, great way to learn too! So I've really enjoyed doing JFK, my teachers have made it a really fun case study. We were going to try the Thucydidean Case Study but one of my teachers wasn't confident in teaching it, and it made her a little stressesd, so we stuck to JFK. n_n

Ahh, I love Russian History, would have loved to do your combo of electives for Modern! Too much Germany for my personal liking to be honest, love the National Study, but would have prefered an individual from another region. Oh well. :)

Yeah the Study Day was great, I thought it was a good revision tool especially for those that have trials coming up. It was a good way to formulate some succinct notes and preparation for the trial hsc exams! Btw, I wish you the best of luck for! Hope studying and preparation is coming along nicely for you! n_n Now, I 'should' be off to prepare for my Ancient Trial on Wednesday, but we'll see how that goes. :p
Oh, wow :) Good on you for sticking with it!
Oh, I'd love to do that!!!!

My teacher seems to conduct lessons in this way:
Give us a bunch of papers to read, shows as a bunch of slides with a few notes -- basically in 2 hours we don't learn anything, we just get about 6 hours of work to do at home. Dunno if I like this approach, I know i'd much prefer the way your teacher approaches the lessons! However, whatever, c'est la vie, as they say!

Did you catch The Kennedys on ABC? their interpretation was v interesting when matched with context

Oh wow, your trials are so early! Thanks, best of luck :))) . Mine are in week 3 next term. Looking forward to studying like i've never studied before in the 3 week "holidays".

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
Re: 回覆: Re: 回覆: Re: 回覆: Re: 回覆: Re: just wondering...

Oh, wow :) Good on you for sticking with it!
Oh, I'd love to do that!!!!

My teacher seems to conduct lessons in this way:
Give us a bunch of papers to read, shows as a bunch of slides with a few notes -- basically in 2 hours we don't learn anything, we just get about 6 hours of work to do at home. Dunno if I like this approach, I know i'd much prefer the way your teacher approaches the lessons! However, whatever, c'est la vie, as they say!

Did you catch The Kennedys on ABC? their interpretation was v interesting when matched with context

Oh wow, your trials are so early! Thanks, best of luck :))) . Mine are in week 3 next term. Looking forward to studying like i've never studied before in the 3 week "holidays".
Ah yes, that's how my teachers conducted the first section, do very little, and then BAM next thing you know a million more things to read at home! I suppose as long as you're learning the content, then they're doing something right! n_n

I did catch The Kennedy's, oh there was so much controversy with that in my classroom, one teacher is quite the traditionalist who you know, prefers the books and the archives, whereas one is relatively much younger and accepts the new methods of technology and quite (like myself) enjoyed the production. Wow, sounds like two historians when we study 'What is History?'

n_n Best thing about Trials now, means I can actually have a 3 week holiday. :) And then next term can be spent doing last assessments and steady revision for the HSC. :) ...so can't wait for holidays, so exhausted from exams, but at least I only have 3 left. Now I leave to cram for Ancient this afternoon.

timme

HSC
回覆: Re: 回覆: Re: 回覆: Re: 回覆: Re: 回覆: Re: just wondering...

Ah yes, that's how my teachers conducted the first section, do very little, and then BAM next thing you know a million more things to read at home! I suppose as long as you're learning the content, then they're doing something right! n_n

I did catch The Kennedy's, oh there was so much controversy with that in my classroom, one teacher is quite the traditionalist who you know, prefers the books and the archives, whereas one is relatively much younger and accepts the new methods of technology and quite (like myself) enjoyed the production. Wow, sounds like two historians when we study 'What is History?'

n_n Best thing about Trials now, means I can actually have a 3 week holiday. :) And then next term can be spent doing last assessments and steady revision for the HSC. :) ...so can't wait for holidays, so exhausted from exams, but at least I only have 3 left. Now I leave to cram for Ancient this afternoon.
Haha yes, it was like that in my class too! Very good to incorporate The Kennedys into q2 cos the markers are on the prowl for contemporary historiography. I enjoyed it too! Are you focusing on any areas in debates, or are you looking at all of them? I find that man v myth and private v public are very similar.

I'm trying to have heaps of contemp historiography for q1. I have a feeling that the q1 for this year is going to be about the methods of historians and/or how these methods are shaped by context...how these methods bring about differentiation in historical findings/perspectives.

I hope they went really well for you! :) Yes, you're so lucky that you're actually going to have holidays :p.

What modules are you doing for adv english?

Zephyrio

HSC
Re: 回覆: Re: 回覆: Re: 回覆: Re: 回覆: Re: 回覆: Re: just wondering...

A foolproof method of approaching section one is to firstly pick out the key issues of the source given. Think about what the author is saying about how history is written and thought about. Do you agree or disagree (and because you must make this judgement, it is useful to think beforehand about the historians who really strike you, who you agree with)? Then present some historians (2 is a good number) who agree with the view that is given and why you agree with these views. Then present an alternative view with some other historians and evaluate their approaches.

The best essays will present a fair and balanced view of both, and talk about how each approach has its strengths and weaknesses. Most importantly however, they will also lean towards one side - remember that you are evaluating views, not just stating the approaches X and Y have.

timme

HSC
回覆: Re: 回覆: Re: 回覆: Re: 回覆: Re: 回覆: Re: 回覆: Re: just wondering...

A foolproof method of approaching section one is to firstly pick out the key issues of the source given. Think about what the author is saying about how history is written and thought about. Do you agree or disagree (and because you must make this judgement, it is useful to think beforehand about the historians who really strike you, who you agree with)? Then present some historians (2 is a good number) who agree with the view that is given and why you agree with these views. Then present an alternative view with some other historians and evaluate their approaches.

The best essays will present a fair and balanced view of both, and talk about how each approach has its strengths and weaknesses. Most importantly however, they will also lean towards one side - remember that you are evaluating views, not just stating the approaches X and Y have.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)