Kensington Campus- WHICH STREETS TO BUY? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I'll be moving from melb to sydney to do my uni course here.. My dad is thinking of buying a cheap 1/2 bedroom apartment (must be! apartments are saver) for me to live in. Unfortunately im clueless about Sydney, I don't even know whether UNSW is close to the city.

So which streets within close walking proximity (15 mins max) to the campus are good to buy? Criteria: Not to noisy, no main streets, safe, lots of apartments. Thanks guys!

HSC
btw.. it'll be good if the streets recommended are near the commerce and law faculties!

pc_wizz

ρ s y c н o ρ α τ н ™
HSC
if u can get an apartment along Barker St it would be an excellent choice, as its right along the uni, or any street connecting to it

you can usually find apartments for sale around that location :)

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
10-15min to city from unsw.

The commerce/law faculties are all over the uni so don't worry about that.

I'd probably recommend Randwick as I don't like the other side of UNSW.

HSC
it'd be very hard too find a apartment around kensington, unless you got the money. otherwise unsw offers accomidation

gman03

HSC
Um... just to clarify, there is no particular room/place in UNSW allocated just for one degree. There is one building for each Faculty for adminstrative purposes...

Have a look at local real estates agencies' websites: http://www.realestate.com.au/realestate/kensington or something (too bad the link provided doesn't seemed to be NSW Kensington... sigh)

Last edited:

elfm

HSC
sunjet said:
10-15min to city from unsw.

The commerce/law faculties are all over the uni so don't worry about that.

I'd probably recommend Randwick as I don't like the other side of UNSW.
that's 10-15 min bus drive, not walk!

i suggest that it's probably safer if you find a high rise apartment on a main road, preferrably on anzac parade. there are A LOT of dimly lit streets around Kensington and I've heard of many robbings/muggings happening around there. However, there is always that bus service that takes you home at night if you need it...

gman03

HSC
elfm said:
here are A LOT of dimly lit streets around Kensington and I've heard of many robbings/muggings happening around there.
Barker St.... avoid Barker St at all cost :p

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
elfm said:
that's 10-15 min bus drive, not walk!

i suggest that it's probably safer if you find a high rise apartment on a main road, preferrably on anzac parade. there are A LOT of dimly lit streets around Kensington and I've heard of many robbings/muggings happening around there. However, there is always that bus service that takes you home at night if you need it...
Randwick is literally a 5 minute walk and is much nicer than Kingsford/Kensington.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Definetly look in Redfern. There's this nice place called, "The Block"

HSC
btw.. where is coles/safeway? and aust post too..

south of UNSW is kingsford (below barker st) which looks pretty conjested.. Randwick looks good, but some parts of Randwick are too far away from UNSW. the closet randwick streets are near the Prince of wales hospital and 3 schools which obviously has its cons.

west of UNSW looks pretty peaceful.. but there's a shopping centre near the hospital.. i think i'll be looking at the eastern side of UNSW..is it really noisy around the hospital and schools?

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
best thing about redfern is that its dirt cheap, and in absurd proximity to the city! awesomtastic!

elfm

HSC
uberlovesounds said:
btw.. where is coles/safeway? and aust post too..

south of UNSW is kingsford (below barker st) which looks pretty conjested.. Randwick looks good, but some parts of Randwick are too far away from UNSW. the closet randwick streets are near the Prince of wales hospital and 3 schools which obviously has its cons.

west of UNSW looks pretty peaceful.. but there's a shopping centre near the hospital.. i think i'll be looking at the eastern side of UNSW..is it really noisy around the hospital and schools?
there's a coles in randwick. there's an aus post in uni, and probably at randwick too (randwick has a lot of shops).

HSC
thanks guys for ur help.. actually we're not going to buy.. we know nothing about sydney and it'll be pretty stupid to make such a hasty decision..

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Yeah. You're much better off renting. Especially with property prices the way they are.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
You'd be just as good buying an aparment in the city itself since getting a bus from the city to UNSW is easy as hell. Plus the city is way better to live in than the suburbs near UNSW (in my opinion). Plus its easier to stumble home from Oxford street or the Cross that way. Real men live in the inner-west though :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)