Kill me now (1 Viewer)

utopian731

Eudaimonian
Gday people...

I really need ot stop talking to people who have finished the hsc, but the problem is, it's most people. It will be much worse on thursday! *gives all the non-3unit ppl dirties* =)

Virgil down, Cicero to go, *sighz*

Bit worried about th'unseen, havent really done one since trials

anyone else with a similar worry? Its as though Im worried that Ive forgotten how to "do" a latin exam.
heh

Another question...does anyone feel their Latin education compromised by what the syllabus demands ie wrote learning the texts? Like I have no problem with having to do commentary, unseens and grammar, thats where the true understanding of the language comes from. I find that 100% of my study goes into just learning the texts! Does anyone think the year would have been more enjoyable if we just appreciated the texts and didnt spend a whole lesson worrying if one specific translation of a word is too liberal for the hsc markers?

opinions on this and anything else welcome!

g'luck all

"Money talks, I hate to listen
but lately it's been shouting in my ear"
- Ben Folds Five, Emaline

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Originally posted by utopian731

Another question...does anyone feel their Latin education compromised by what the syllabus demands ie wrote learning the texts? Like I have no problem with having to do commentary, unseens and grammar, thats where the true understanding of the language comes from. I find that 100% of my study goes into just learning the texts! Does anyone think the year would have been more enjoyable if we just appreciated the texts and didnt spend a whole lesson worrying if one specific translation of a word is too liberal for the hsc markers?
oh yes, definitely. There must be a more efficent way of testing that we understand the texts...ie. NOT picking on a needle passage in a haystack and regurgitating it. It is a waste of time, and yet we have to do it...

Maybe they could assess the prepared translation internally or something...I can see that being fun...(thinks of her latin class trying to translate passages without being disturbed by chocolate biscuits or bad jokes)

I could ramble on forever, but I have study to do...;)

good luck everyone, too! (Mil aren't you glad at this point that you don't have to wait an extra two days to do 3unit?)

:p Utopian - sorry, couldn't help myself.

:D

laney

HSC
i SERIOUSLY have no started 3U latin yet. i'm more of a crammer. c'mon 1 and a half days to learn 400 lines, *shrugs* i think i'll manage. I'm kinda counting on remembering stuff from the Trials....

As for the latin on wednesday, i JUST finished catiline. *groans*. i kinda just learn the english text of it - i mean, i understand the grammar, but i don't want to sit there in the exam trying to work it all out. if i just learn the teacher's english translation, i'll just regurgitate that, without even looking at the latin. eh, it's dodgy, i know *grins*

and i STILL haven't read the other catiline stories. shite, shite, shite. i'm thinking, maybe i won't even bother.

hey did any of you guys get a 29 page booklet of latin words? apparently it was circulating around schools, i'm not sure if it was the prescribed HSC vocab list or not. but i tell ya, it's a killer to learn.

time to start the Aeneid. *sigh*

utopian731

Eudaimonian
heh
given up on my vocab list - the book is too long

as they say, the unseens are in the hands of the gods

yeh 3 unit can be done in a day, it flows so much easier
Juvenals a little more entertaining than the 2 unit stuff -and Horace, well, 70 lines????

ugh

poor panda from clutching at straws.....

:cool:

laney

HSC
i learnt pages 11- 25 today. probably didn't really help i can't remember them right now anyway.

the unseen, i'll be happy if i pass the unseen
i barely ever translated any catiline myself, and at the end of last term, we did about 20 unseens, i was soooo screwed.

i'm stuffed for commenting too. if it's a passage that i've done before then YAY, otherwise, ughhh, i'm so dead...*sighs*

for 3u i hope we get a juvenal unseen. at least we get all the words we need to use *nods*

Milly

The trick is - start learning the translation a few weeks before, about 20 lines a night, and it doesn't become so much of a drag :p sorry, that tip was a bit late coming wasn't it!

Heh... I'm so screwed for the unseens... the one we got in the trial was too easy, I did well in it and got all confident, then took a look at some of the other schools' unseens and went AAARRRGGHHHH *muttersecondsentenceofsydneygrammarcicerocough* :eek:

Re: the vocab list - are you talking about the one in the syllabus document? 'Cos I learned that in the holidays - I wonder how much of it I actually remember now! Probably very little - I haven't touched it since then. Oh well, vocab isn't that bad - you can usually work it out from the context - I just hope they don't give us an evil passage with really complicated grammar!

Oh well... in about 24 hours I can totally forget how to spell prosopopoeia :) good luck to everybody - especially you 3-unit people!

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Originally posted by Milly
Heh... I'm so screwed for the unseens... the one we got in the trial was too easy, I did well in it and got all confident, then took a look at some of the other schools' unseens and went AAARRRGGHHHH *muttersecondsentenceofsydneygrammarcicerocough* :eek:
hear, hear.

:cold:

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
... pity such great troubles, pity a student enduring undeserved stress and grief ... if no one within the recollection of men have received such treatment ... therefore depart from exam...

alas my cramming time has been halved, split between latin and economics...

things do not happen without the twisted will of theboardofstudies ...

Milly

Originally posted by flyin'
... pity such great troubles, pity a student enduring undeserved stress and grief ... if no one within the recollection of men have received such treatment ... therefore depart from exam...

alas my cramming time has been halved, split between latin and economics...

things do not happen without the twisted will of theboardofstudies ...
:p Couldn't've put it better or *sneaks a glance at Weisy* more pithily. :haha:

*gets Liz Sssccchhmylie/Ita Buttrose flashbacks*
*buries head in hands*

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)