Laptop in HSC exam??? (1 Viewer)

constantquandary

HSC
A couple of months out and I'm starting to seriously freak out about the HSC because everyone seems to think HSC exam provisions (specifically a laptop) are impossible to get.

I've got something wrong with my right forearm, to the point anything involving moving it for more than a few minutes causes me agony. I can write for like ten minutes before I'm literally crying. I've seen multiple doctors, including one for ~7 years, with no improvement. I could almost definitely get a scribe, but I also have really bad anxiety to the point it wouldn't work - I actually dropped out of school for a year because of it. I've seen someone for this too and I guess I assumed together it'd be enough but heaps of my doctors have said theres no chance BOSTES or whoever will give a computer because they never do? And so many people have generic hand problems that they'll probably think I'm playing the (very long) long-con.

My school's special ed. department have promised they'll chase it for me, but I'm starting to think it's a losing battle. I'm already screwed for english, if i have to hand write it I may as well just drop out...

Has anyone here got to use a computer for HSC or know someone who has?

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
A couple of months out and I'm starting to seriously freak out about the HSC because everyone seems to think HSC exam provisions (specifically a laptop) are impossible to get.

I've got something wrong with my right forearm, to the point anything involving moving it for more than a few minutes causes me agony. I can write for like ten minutes before I'm literally crying. I've seen multiple doctors, including one for ~7 years, with no improvement. I could almost definitely get a scribe, but I also have really bad anxiety to the point it wouldn't work - I actually dropped out of school for a year because of it. I've seen someone for this too and I guess I assumed together it'd be enough but heaps of my doctors have said theres no chance BOSTES or whoever will give a computer because they never do? And so many people have generic hand problems that they'll probably think I'm playing the (very long) long-con.

My school's special ed. department have promised they'll chase it for me, but I'm starting to think it's a losing battle. I'm already screwed for english, if i have to hand write it I may as well just drop out...

Has anyone here got to use a computer for HSC or know someone who has?
legitimate question: why does anxiety not allow you to have a scribe? I had a friend who had bad anxiety and a problem in her shoulder, who had to use a scribe (+ breaks in between). I've never known someone who was allowed to use a laptop.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
I know of a private school in victoria, where they had a special laptop with no access to internet, and no programs installed, for the VCE. But that is a separate jurisdiction.

Would it worth contacting NESA (replaces BOSTES) directly and asking directly about it?

have they been able to diagnose properly your condition?
what is the state of your left arm?

horse9996

HSC
If you have a legitimate reason to get provisions then I don't see why it wouldn't be allowed

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
It is extremely rare to be allowed the provision of a laptop in the HSC but it is possible to get one.

If you are seeing a psychologist for your anxiety then she/he may be required to provide evidence (such as a written letter) on why you are unable to utilise a scribe as a provision rather then a laptop.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
You may also need to complete a assessment by an OT as well to provide the required evidence stating that you are unable to write for a specified time frame.

rikishi stink face

HSC
Yeah you know what they say about laptops right, the smaller the better, am i right guys??

constantquandary

HSC
Sorry for not replying, didn't realise people had responded until too late. Just an update for anyone in a similar situation, I did end up getting the laptop, without even having to appeal.

I had quite a bit of supporting evidence:
- letter from a hand therapist i'd seen for 5+ years detailing the issues I would have
- letter from physiotherapist explaining that these issues were long-term
- about 5 pages from my psychologist, detailing my past issues with social anxiety
- proof I had been admitted to state-run distance ed because of these issues
- looong cover letter from my parents about my academic history and how these issues have affected me (dropping subjects, not going to selective schools etc)
- 3 handwriting tests officially overseen by a teacher (only managed to write about a sentence before I was having to stretch my arm, for context as to how bad my problem was)
- 3 typed tests, I guess to show that I wasn't that much faster than the average person's handwriting speed

Dunno what did it, I was definitely expecting to have to appeal and so were all the teachers at my school so it was a big surprise. Best of luck to anyone trying to get provisions in the HSC, NESA isn't unreasonable so long as you have sufficient proof.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Doesn't hurt to try. I know a guy who typed his entire hsc exams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)