Laptop question (1 Viewer)

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Stupid question here: I have a laptop I want to disassemble (to replace a component) although I can only get 17/20 screws undone. 3 of the screws are stuck in tight. Any tips on how to loosen those screws? I've tried using pliers on the non-slip screwdriver to torque the screws unstuck although it didn't do the job.

D94

HSC
N/A
Have you tried using an electric screwdriver? Like the powerful ones? You might need to find an attachment for the small drill bit.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Apply to much torque and not enough downwards force it will thread them out.
They probably have loctite on them to keep nosy people out.

iBibah

HSC
Impact drill will do the job, just apply some force.

HSC
Uni Grad
just a speculation,

perhaps you could get a soldering iron and put a tiny bit of solder onto it

touch it to the screw and it should quickly heat up the glue to like 400C and melt it

do this quickly (like 5 secs max) then stick the screwdriver in

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
assuming it's glued
Also what type of loctite it is.

You've got some that cracks under impact or high torque, some that cracks under extreme temps and there is some that just doesnt want to fucking come off.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
I don't have an impact drill at home although I have a soldering iron, so I will try that out later and see. it is jsut weird that most of the screws were really easy to get undone, while 3 of them are stuck fast. If they were glued, wouldn't all of them be glued not just a few?

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
I don't have an impact drill at home although I have a soldering iron, so I will try that out later and see. it is jsut weird that most of the screws were really easy to get undone, while 3 of them are stuck fast. If they were glued, wouldn't all of them be glued not just a few?
No, cost cuts (see the new 2012 BMW s1000RR recall) or the fact you only need to glue one in to keep people out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)