laptop (1 Viewer)

Chameleon

You might consider the Sony Vaio, particularly with the AMD cpu. Cost effective, with a reasonable amount of grunt.

jayz

walking
my opinion:
sony-ripoff
acer-cheap crap
IBM-can't function with multimedia (too proffesional)
HP-ok
TOSHIBA-cheap and good

don't take my comments too seriously, if u really want to buy a laptop, figure out what u want in it, i.e. good game-play abilities, multimedia functions, office application etc. So just go for one which will satisfy your needs the best. (don't buy a top of the range laptop, also if u want to buy JAP brands, go buy them in HK or somewhere in ASIA)

Huy

HSC
N/A
jayz: What about Apple PowerBooks/Ti/AlBooks & iBooks :D

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by mr_speedy
theres also dell..
yeah dell isnt too shabby

they're pretty good

try looking at NEC ones

i lurve them

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
my ipt teacher recommended dell based on the laptop itself and dells service people (like if you ring up helpdesk and need someone to come out or whatever)

Winston

HSC
does anyone remember about the Dell incident

one of their batch when used for extended period of time,the entire laptop blew up, it happened to a young teenager, and she unfortunately died from this incident, and yes it's no joke, it was caused from some fault in the battery

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
fujitsu is pretty good too if u want something that looks good :)

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Winston
What about the other one, where the guy was using his dell inspiron and burnt his "area" as he had used the laptop (on his 'lap').

He didn't die, but being a guy, imagine having your "area" burnt from laptop usage. :(

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Huy
What about the other one, where the guy was using his dell inspiron and burnt his "area" as he had used the laptop (on his 'lap').

He didn't die, but being a guy, imagine having your "area" burnt from laptop usage. :(
yeah he's penis got flammed

-X-

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Huy
jayz: What about Apple PowerBooks/Ti/AlBooks & iBooks :D
Not if he wants to use it for everyday things. :p

About that guy, wasn't due to some sort of radiation from the laptop or did it actually get burnt?

SoFTuaRiaL

one of their batch when used for extended period of time,the entire laptop blew up, it happened to a young teenager, and she unfortunately died from this incident, and yes it's no joke, it was caused from some fault in the battery
Originally posted by Huy

yeah he's penis got flammed
i am NOT buying a dell .... i dont need computer techonology to teach me abt family planning :p but anyways .....

i'm basically looking for something to be used for course related applications. i am not into computer games anymore ... also, something that runs on both windows and linux ... hmm ...

jayz

walking
my personal opinions again

lifebook, seen them, never used them or touched them, just don't like the name, sounds like the fujitsu company needs a life.
anyhow, i do know there's some 'amazing' features with lifebook, i fink their on screen display can rotate or something.

If its general application stuff u use on laptop, i suggest to get one that have good warranty (international warranty support), battery life (lithium ion battery), doesn't overheat too much (u can actually put it on your lap), actually portable (under 2.5kg), and doesn't make a big noise (i.e. hard disk and cpu fan).

btw, if u want to use 2 os, the 2 os might conflict each other if your notebook has only 1 drive (i fink u know this already, nvm)

Last edited:

yoshi

Originally posted by Chameleon
You might consider the Sony Vaio, particularly with the AMD cpu. Cost effective, with a reasonable amount of grunt.
You've got to be kidding me. Cost effective? HAH! Vaios cost an arm and a leg.

Get a Toshiba, they are reliable and won't cost you as much as a pony. I personally wouldn't get a Compaq laptop as I and other people I've talked to have had trouble with them (for me the LCD screen stuffs up).

yoshi

Originally posted by jayz
btw, if u want to use 2 os, the 2 os might conflict each other if your notebook has only 1 drive (i fink u know this already, nvm)
No they will not, and this is how dual-booting is done in most cases. The only concievable problem he may have lies with linux and the laptop hardware's compatibility.

The only hard-drive issue I can think of is when the vendor puts their BIOS software on a small partition at the front of the drive (hello Toshiba). If you wipe this partition out, the computer will not start up, and thou shalt go on thee google search in seek of hidden function keys.

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by yoshi
No they will not, and this is how dual-booting is done in most cases. The only concievable problem he may have lies with linux and the laptop hardware's compatibility.

The only hard-drive issue I can think of is when the vendor puts their BIOS software on a small partition at the front of the drive (hello Toshiba). If you wipe this partition out, the computer will not start up, and thou shalt go on thee google search in seek of hidden function keys.
yeah i know that toshiba i think has some security BIOS system whereby if the system was stolen, and u log on to the net.. they can trace the stolen laptop

duno if this is in place

Comedy_Al

[qoute]yeah i know that toshiba i think has some security BIOS system whereby if the system was stolen, and u log on to the net.. they can trace the stolen laptop
[/quote]
How does that work? Does toshiba have some service on the net that all their laptops log into every time they're on the net or something?

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Comedy_Al
[qoute]yeah i know that toshiba i think has some security BIOS system whereby if the system was stolen, and u log on to the net.. they can trace the stolen laptop

How does that work? Does toshiba have some service on the net that all their laptops log into every time they're on the net or something?
[/QUOTE]

i think it just sends a data packet back

to identify the reg number of the laptop

and if the reg number is on the black list then yea

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)