Law 114 Jurisprudence - 2008 (1 Viewer)

miss-smexy

HSC
I know there's already a thread on this... but I have a few questions about this subject which weren't discussed in that previous thread:

* In the course materials book, there are readings for every week. Do we have to read absolutely everything in it? Will we get crap marks if we don't? The readings are so heavy and convoluted with all this law terminology. For week 1, it just sounds like stuff I learnt in History Extension or EE1 i.e. pomo, empricism, world views, paradigms. I can't bear to continue reading...

* What are Law essays like? Are they in any way similar to the ones we did in the HSC (excepting Standard/Advanced) since those were just incorporating techniques. Do we have to add things like Oppenheimer v. Cattermole i.e. precedents? (That is a precedent... right?)

* Do you (particularly commerce-accounting/law students) ever feel overwhelmed by the work load? There's so much to read for law (unfortunately they weren't exaggerating :() and are you able to easily balance your time in terms of studying for law vs. your other subjects?

Okay, and another off topic question:

* Does law camp just consist of drinking, getting trashed and booze? Like... what's a beer hat? =S

Tabris

HSC
Its heavy going, but do try to read everything over at least once with a highlighter in hand. It seems overwhelming at first, but it will seem easier after the lecture where they put things into a better perspective. If u have a basic understanding and know whats going on, then tutorial participation marks are a piece of cake

As for the essay, its a critique on two pieces of work. Basically compare and contrast two different perspectives. There wont be much precedents in jurisprudence, just a whole lot of references to the materials in the course materials.

I did this subject with two others (ECON200 and ECON235) which made balancing alot easier. But it can be done, I have juggled 6 law units and 2 econ3xx units last year, so alot of self discipline in keeping up to date and maintaining good work ethic.
Normally there was about 50-60 pg/week in the course materials and the text but thats pretty light once u hit torts/contracts/criminal/const/admin law.

antisheep

HSC
miss-smexy said:
* Does law camp just consist of drinking, getting trashed and booze? Like... what's a beer hat? =S
I'm wondering about that too... I've been told by alot of the 3rd and 4th yrs that i know that getting involved socially is really important cos it helps you later... but a 3 day pissup!??! Also that saturday is my birthday... so I'd quite like to go if it's actually going to be fun and getting to know people... but if it's like the MULS website makes it sound then maybe i'd be better off giving it a miss.

maka

HSC
Taken from the other thread. My opinions of Jurisprudence with a few additions

Tabris, probably gives the best outline of Juris, but I am willing to offer my opinion of the course.

I tolerated the subject but I didnt really enjoy the subject matter too much. It is very analytical and critical in the sense that you need to deconstruct and pull apart various arguments into many minor issues. Some people thrive on this but I rather just having the law set out for you and having to apply it to situations. One of my law tutors once said that she didnt know why peopl in her Property classes would continually get frustrated when she would mention the term jurisprudence. Dont worry, if you dont love it, you ar not alone.

Effectively the unit is one that tries to get you to think about what the law actually is before they actually tell you. Its sorta like this is how the law is formed, people see the law in different ways and here is how people perceive the law. Essentially, you get told what the law is in Law, Lawyers and Society (however I think 08 students do Foundations of Law and Law Lawyers separately).

My biggest problem is that the readings were very wordy and often unnecessarily confusing. That could just be me though. Eventually I found reading the Meyerson text was important to at least let me grasp the understanding of the readings and provide me with necessary background.

Like many people say, they didnt really like Juris. Dont let that dishearten you however. Some class debate is actually fun and it allows you to question your own opinions and thoughts on a variety of issues.

Doing other law subjects, I dont find Juris overly important in the scheme of my degree as it stands but I think its use is to get you to think about what law is and its functions. If you dont like it, tough it out for 4 months because from then on it only gets better.

Time wise, the subject can be lengthy but it is going to get worse as you progress throughout the degree. The amount of reading for Juris isnt the problem, its the time spent understanding the concepts. In relation, to affecting other subjects, that is really up to how you can balance your subjects. You need to understand you have 4 subjects to do and prioritise some subjects ahead of others at times. Essentially readings are there to allow you enough background to understand the class discussion/assessments. If pressed for time, read Meyerson first.
Simply, give it a go! Thats the least you can do.

(disclaimer: Only my opinion. Macquarie University does not endorse this rant)

aileenli

HSC
Strange how many law students post replies with disclaimers on the end...like someone or the other will sue you for wrong info...

On the social note, on the first lecture of juris last year, we were told that not going to the camp thingy was social suicide. It was also implied that serious law students go to Usyd and the party birds come to mac. Maybe they're attempting to make it all cliquey and elitist?

miss-smexy

HSC
http://muls.org/default.asp?page=News/News+Archive/First+Year+Law+Camp

ARE YOU A NEW STUDENT AT MACQUARIE LAW FOR 2008?
Don’t forget to buy your tickets for first year law camp!
Law Camp is a trip organised by MULS for all first years new to studying law at Macquarie. It’s a weekend of drinking and partying and the best way to make friends for the rest of your degree. People who miss out always regret it – its social suicide not to go!
That sounds about right... making friends while you're drunk :)

This year’s law camp is shaping up to be bigger and better than previous years! Law camp 2008 will be held at Broken Bay Sport and Rec – an awesome camp on the water at the Hawkesbury (only accessible by ferry). The ticket price covers accommodation, food, activities and best of all – unlimited grog! And don’t worry, it will be quality alcohol (not goon!).
Champagne please :p

Tickets are ON SALE NOW at the link below – get in quick! We only have 150 spots and tickets always sell out fast! Tickets will also be on sale at the first week law lecture (if there are any left) so bring your $200 if you don’t buy one online! ALSO make sure you bring an extra $10 to the first lecture to order your beer hard hat for camp! A necessary accessory!

So the details are:
When: Friday 14th March – Sunday 16th March
Where: Broken Bay Sport and Rec Departing: 5:30 pm 14th march straight after the law lecture.
Returning: Around 4:30pm 16th March to Macquarie uni
Tickets: $200 + $10 for beer hat (optional). Tickets on Sale online and at first lecture. Beer hats on sale at first lectureIncludes: unlimited alcohol, food, accommodation, activities, transport etc etc.
Also: make sure you come to the first lecture – you need to fill out a consent form for the camp J
IMPORTANT: if you have any special dietary requirements (eg vegetarian) – email socialfunctions@muls.org by the 5th March.

Email socialfunctions@muls.org if you have any questions.
Click the link below and then 'Buy Ticket' to secure your spot on the camp now.
haha do they really sell out that fast?

-----------------------

Tabris thanks for all that. I read ur posts re. jurisprudence in the other thread and I feel exactly the same way as you did!

-----------------------

Your post sounded strangely familiar Maka - and then I read the first line again "taken from the other thread" haha

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
in my experience, the camp sells out within a week - definately a MUST for first years. If you don't go - you'll regret it. You will notice that the week after camp, all the people who went will be best friends and sitting together in juris lectures.. and then there'll be everyone else.. alone..

tahneen

HSC
maple_leaf_matt said:
in my experience, the camp sells out within a week - definately a MUST for first years. If you don't go - you'll regret it. You will notice that the week after camp, all the people who went will be best friends and sitting together in juris lectures.. and then there'll be everyone else.. alone..
yeh all the unis have law camps - its not just macquarie

but i went the year before last and its not like a big piss up - i didnt drink at all and had an awesome time - but yeh if you dont go.... you will end up being a loner in lectures - and with all the social events throughout the year (def the best part of law) you really dont want to have no / only 1 friend.

miss-smexy

HSC
tahneen said:
yeh all the unis have law camps - its not just macquarie

but i went the year before last and its not like a big piss up - i didnt drink at all and had an awesome time - but yeh if you dont go.... you will end up being a loner in lectures - and with all the social events throughout the year (def the best part of law) you really dont want to have no / only 1 friend.
oh okay... it sounds so much more attractive now

antisheep

HSC
Hey guys, just thought I'd point out... the LAW114 course outline lists the Australian Guide to Legal Citation as a required text... just so you know, you can obtain a free copy online here

http://mulr.law.unimelb.edu.au/aglc.asp

Even if youre buying your own copy, i've heard that they won't be in at the co-op for a while so in case we need it soonish, it could come in handy.

maka

HSC
chocolatecookie said:
is that a very big generalisation or is it really true? :uhoh:
i mean if around 200 people don't go (does anyone know how many first year law students there would be?), then you would think they could become friends with eachother. :rolleyes:
The camp is a good idea if you want to go. But, it isnt the be all and end all of your 5 years in law if you dont go.

If you are interested in going feel free to go but dont be scared by visions of law solitude if you dont attend.

People will form friendships on camp but you will also do so in classes.

hannahxxx

HSC
antisheep said:
Hey guys, just thought I'd point out... the LAW114 course outline lists the Australian Guide to Legal Citation as a required text... just so you know, you can obtain a free copy online here

http://mulr.law.unimelb.edu.au/aglc.asp

Even if youre buying your own copy, i've heard that they won't be in at the co-op for a while so in case we need it soonish, it could come in handy.
thanks a lot for that....i don't have to buy it now!
I'm going to law camp....more to meet ppl than to drink...but why on earth would you buy a beer hat?!?

maka

HSC
Just wait for the various Duff Man quotes.

Have a good time

antisheep

HSC
hannahxxx said:
thanks a lot for that....i don't have to buy it now!
I'm going to law camp....more to meet ppl than to drink...but why on earth would you buy a beer hat?!?
I'm still tossing up! It's my b'day on the 15th so I don't know whether i wanna give up the day with my family... i figure by the time I get around to deciding they will have sold out and it won't matter either way...

maka

HSC
Having a party on the 15th are you antisheep?

All BOS invited!

antisheep

HSC
maka said:
Having a party on the 15th are you antisheep?

All BOS invited!
Haha! The parentals would love that! A couple dozen randoms from the internet rock up on my doorstep and ask where the grog is. Would almost be worth it just to see the look on my dad's face.

maka

HSC
Mr Sheep wouldnt mind if we came!

We are all LAW students.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)