Law students - any views on the now belonging to the Arts Faculty? (1 Viewer)

Atlas

HSC
N/A
Predictably, some may be saying it doesn't really make a difference... personally - W6A is a lot further to run than W3A- really want our old submission boxes back which were a lot clearer than the new ones

Anyone of the view that the law school has possibly lost some prestige after the change? Considering in most other universities, it tends to occupy a separate spot..?

Okay, above question wasn't meant to sound snobby... in case anyone was offended... really... it's not you Arts Faculty... really it's not you...

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Rofl, what prestige? The MQ Law School was the laughing stock of the Law schools in Sydney, and that's coming straight from those in the Law School. Point is, the integration is a work in progress, while they try and re-establish the brand afaik.

X

xeuyrawp

really want our old submission boxes back which were a lot clearer than the new ones
You honestly think the location of your submission boxes is an issue?

Anyone of the view that the law school has possibly lost some prestige after the change? Considering in most other universities, it tends to occupy a separate spot..?
Afaik, the law building hasn't miraculously moved. I don't think you understand that where you put your assignments in is an administration building.

Okay, above question wasn't meant to sound snobby... in case anyone was offended... really... it's not you Arts Faculty... really it's not you...
The Arts faculty is far, far superior to the law school. Imo if you're doing law at MQ for law and not for your non-law component, you're epic fail.

mrbsting

HSC
I don't think I've come across any University that has grouped Law and Arts together. In saying that, I personally don't mind and it doesn't really make much of a difference to me.

X

xeuyrawp

I don't think I've come across any University that has grouped Law and Arts together.
They're not 'grouped together', everything will be exactly the same for them. Instead of having a law divisional head (who was leaving anyway), they're going to have an Arts faculty head.

Like I said, it's completely irrelevant. Every university does something different because they try and do something that works for them. Can think of many universities where there is an unusual split. Eg we used to have a Department of Public Law as well as Law, as well as Environmental Law. Then you have Business Law...

Most universities struggle to split up all the areas of study. In my view, you have social sciences and natural sciences, and should work from there, but many people disagree because some things 'aren't a science'. /rant.

X

xeuyrawp

The Law faculty was struggling before hand and it will now, we get no funding and aren't well respected anyway
I think, with regards to funding etc, the move to Arts will help it.

Previously the Law people had to fight each other for a piece of a small pie. Now they'll fight other Arts people for a piece of a much larger pie. That's my interpretation of it anyway.

mrbsting

HSC
The Arts faculty is far, far superior to the law school. Imo if you're doing law at MQ for law and not for your non-law component, you're epic fail.
Opinion and you're entitled to it. I don't think my non-law component (Commerce) is that crash hot, infact I think it is horrendously boring. The lecturers (the one's I have encountered) in some subjects come across as condescending know-it-all's who make it their mission to teach everything bar what's on the exam.

X

xeuyrawp

I don't think my non-law component (Commerce) is that crash hot, infact I think it is horrendously boring. The lecturers (the one's I have encountered) in some subjects come across as condescending know-it-all's who make it their mission to teach everything bar what's on the exam.
Hah, but surely you're not doing your BComm for interesting lecturers. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)