Law (1 Viewer)

rink

HSC
does anyone know where i can find out about the law subjects and options that are studied at macquarie (ie.torts, constitutional etc)? I looked on the macq law website but and couldn't find it. Maybe someone could direct me where to click?

http://www.law.mq.edu.au/

Otherwise, if anyone knows what subjects law students are required to study and what ones they can choose can the please post them up. Thanks!

Tabris

HSC
Not my specialty, but, PwarYeux and MaryJane can help, they are doing combined law and they can give u some insight into units

Both are high flyers in law at Macq, apart from them, i dont know anyone else here doing it.

rink

HSC
oh btw, i know this is off topic but does anyone here do B Social science combined with law? If so, how do they like it? Are the two related much or very seperate things? What's the work load of social science, pros/cons, fun etc etc??? Thanks

Tabris

HSC
Again, not my specialty, i think Asylum can help u out, he does some social science unit i think, but we dont have "Social sceince" units, we have majors and the units associated with the majors.

I think u can combine them into a double degree, where (i think) u do the core units of both degrees and fewer electives, the workload is the same, u dont have to do extra units per semester but i think u have an extra year.

iwannarock

HSC
Tabris said:
Not my specialty, but, PwarYeux and MaryJane can help, they are doing combined law and they can give u some insight into units

Both are high flyers in law at Macq, apart from them, i dont know anyone else here doing it.

*cough* iwannarock does law *cough*

iwannarock

HSC
bscienceboi said:
Are you okay? You seem sick.

*writes "iwannarock does law" on sign and holds it up......pointing at it furiously*

rink

HSC
the UAC guide says the B Social Science/B Laws degree is 5years full time. Where does the extra year come in?

Btw, i wannarock, what are u combining law with?

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
lol, actually, its just me, iwannarock and scarecrow doing law, I dont think Rob has transferred yet (I dont think he can until the end of the year, and even then he's not a proper law student).

Every law degree is a double degree, it has to be, you cant just do B-LLB anymore. You basically do your 'first' degree first; you finish it by third year. But scattered through the first three years are law subjects. Then, from fourth year in, you just do law.

So if you look up the actual program for B Social Science/LLB it will show you exactly what you have to do, and when you have to do it.

I'm doing Psych/LLB, so in first year I only did jurisprudence and torts (although this has changed and they are now making you do some crappy legal studies unit instead of torts) and the rest of my credit points were taken up doing psych, stat and some other random electives (anthropology and sociology). Second year, you now do contracts, torts and criminal law, plus your social science units... and so on etc. etc...

So the 'extra year' isnt an extra year as such, rather its cutting your degree short a year - you get two done in the timeframe of one! What a deal! :p You finish your first one, and then complete your second one, but because they have some degree of overlap during the first three years you get it finished quicker.

(Excuse my possible repetitiveness, I've been awake since 4.30am because I couldnt sleep because its my 20th birthday!!! :D)

Also, you'll love MQ!

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Compulsory Units

LAW104 Law, Lawyers and Society

LAW114 Jurisprudence

LAW203 Torts
(compulsory for students enrolled prior to 1998 and after 2004)

LAW204 Contracts

LAW205 Criminal Law and Procedure

LAW206 Criminal Law and Procedure

LAW314 Constitutional Law and Administration I
and
LAW315 Constitutional Law and Administration II
OR
LAW311 Public Law I
and
LAW312 Public Law II

LAW316 Property in Law and Equity I

LAW317 Property in Law and Equity II

LAW405 Remedies

LAW406 Business Organisations

LAW414 Criminal Law and Procedure
(compulsory only for students enrolled prior to 1998)

LAW500 Litigation

LAW518 Legal Ethics
(compulsory only for students enrolled prior to 2005

-------------

Whats with 'the'/'or' subject thingies?

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
the 'the/or' is this...

You can either do:

Const I and II

or

Public law I and II

So you have to do either one of them, but you have to do the following unit... You cant do, say semester 1 of const and then change to public in semester two. These two units are the most important ones you'll ever have to do because you need these to qualify to be a solicitor.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
LAW203 Torts
(compulsory for students enrolled prior to 1998 and after 2004)
?

is maqu re doing their course structure?

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
In some ways, yes. I did torts first year but they have now changed it back to its original stance as a second-year subject to make room for the "law, lawyers and society" which is a new course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)