Learning to ride (1 Viewer)

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
In this thread I am going to post some questions about learning to ride a motorbike (scooter) and would appreciate if anyone who has any tips or know how would be able to help me out.

So far I have the following questions:

1) Why does handlebar steering work up until a speed of 20kph then after 20kph you have to use counter steering? I get that if I push the left handlebar forward the bike will turn right, although couldn't I achieve the exact same thing by simply turning the whole handlebars to the right?

2) Why do some scooters have a foot pedal?

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Ill answer 1) when i get on a pc but CS wont be needed on a scooter.
2) not sure. On a bike it goes like this;
RHS clipon-front brake (80% of braking power)
RHS pedal- back brake (20% of braking power)
LHS clipon- clutch
LHS pedal- gear shift lever.
Pics would help.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
1) Why does handlebar steering work up until a speed of 20kph then after 20kph you have to use counter steering? I get that if I push the left handlebar forward the bike will turn right, although couldn't I achieve the exact same thing by simply turning the whole handlebars to the right?
Who cares, you don't actually need to know this to ride a motorcycle, it happens automatically, go ride a bicycle and try it out it's identical. It's worth understanding, but it's something better experienced than explained.

2) Why do some scooters have a foot pedal?
The only scooters I've seen with a foot pedal are old vespas, PX200 etc. Old vespas have a manual transmisssion, so they're laid out the same as regular motorcycles; i.e. right hand lever = front brake, left hand lever = clutch, right foot pedal = rear brake.

Any scooter made by anyone other than vespa since the 1980's, has generally had a CVT gearbox, which is fully auto, so the left hand lever is used for the rear brake.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Who cares, you don't actually need to know this to ride a motorcycle, it happens automatically, go ride a bicycle and try it out it's identical. It's worth understanding, but it's something better experienced than explained.
I understand it from thinking about a bicycle, how if you push the handlebars with your left hand sharply you will immediately turn right and fall over basically as The wheel goes 90d perp. to the direction of motion you were traveling. What I don't get it is why you have to use this on a motorbike unless you are making a really sharp turn? So you reckon if I just steered it like a bicycle I would be most likely fine? I've seen a few videos on youtube where people who have no experience riding scooters or motorbikes get 5 minutes instruction on the brakes, throttle and ignition and then after that they are good to go and ride off. Though I also saw videos of where people were stupid like turning the throttle without holding the brake when they were looking at the bike (not sitting on it even).

The only scooters I've seen with a foot pedal are old vespas, PX200 etc. Old vespas have a manual transmisssion, so they're laid out the same as regular motorcycles; i.e. right hand lever = front brake, left hand lever = clutch, right foot pedal = rear brake.

Any scooter made by anyone other than vespa since the 1980's, has generally had a CVT gearbox, which is fully auto, so the left hand lever is used for the rear brake.
Yeah I don't intend on purchasing a vespa as they are too expensive for what they are and I am looking at buying a 2nd one < 3 years old or a new one even.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
I understand it from thinking about a bicycle, how if you push the handlebars with your left hand sharply you will immediately turn right and fall over basically as The wheel goes 90d perp. to the direction of motion you were traveling. What I don't get it is why you have to use this on a motorbike unless you are making a really sharp turn? So you reckon if I just steered it like a bicycle I would be most likely fine? I've seen a few videos on youtube where people who have no experience riding scooters or motorbikes get 5 minutes instruction on the brakes, throttle and ignition and then after that they are good to go and ride off. Though I also saw videos of where people were stupid like turning the throttle without holding the brake when they were looking at the bike (not sitting on it even).

Yeah I don't intend on purchasing a vespa as they are too expensive for what they are and I am looking at buying a 2nd one < 3 years old or a new one even.
Mate there is a reason why they force you to do two 6 hour course over a weekend, not everyone will pick up riding as if its second nature. A fair number of road users come from a dirt bike background ( i came from that + DH racing so i had so many bad habits) so they have general concept down pat.

Graney hit the nail on the head with the CS and would be best to listen to him as hes been riding longer, its a technique used all the time but not fully utilized by new riders. New riders think "Knee down" is the best way to steer, but it aint. Knee down is generally used as a way to know how far you've leaned over, not to assist you in turning any tighter.

As for scooters, icky little things.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
So you reckon if I just steered it like a bicycle I would be most likely fine?
The steering is identical to a bicycle. Go ride a bicycle at 25-40km/h. Apply gentle pushing pressure to one handlebar, and relax the grip of your other hand so it's noticeable what input you're applying. At that speed, if you push the left handlebar away from your body, you will turn left. If you push the right handlebar away from body, you will turn right.

Understanding why this works, is like asking to understand why electricity works in order to operate a light switch.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
I purchased some riding gear earlier today ;). Am now $600 lighter.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
I was more interested in getting a scooter, although if I do that and get my motorbike P's on an automatic then it restricts me to automatic bikes only for 3 years correct (after which I can then ride manual bikes I believe)?

I don't really want a motorbike at the moment although perhaps in the next 3 years I will? Do yous know if I could just then redo the Ps test on a manual bike to be able to drive a manual bike legally?

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
not sure, but imo just get a cheap manual, it isnt very hard.

Timshady

HSC
I have just done the pre learner course this week. I only rode an automatic bike with only on the course. What should I do now in terms of riding on the road. I have saved up $4000 since the HSC and have $5000 budget. I need a automatic bike to ride around 16 km per day to Sydney Uni. What types of bike?

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
IMHO, re do test and get your manual license, its not hard. Your choice of bikes in your budget will be endless.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)