lectures, pracs and tutorials (1 Viewer)

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
hey what is a tutorial, practical and lecture like???

i read somewhere that a pracitcal was like a normal lesson in highschool? or was that a tutorial.... whats the difference??

and which ones.... are u most likely to meet new people in? in lectures?? do they give you time to write down stuff?? or is it in like american movies where u just go for ur life trying to jot down everything important while the lecturer is still speaking?

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
U meet most new people in practicals I reckon, followed by tutorials and then lectures last.

U get time in some lectures (like accounting for instance where u fill the gaps in your notes...bloody stupid) but in say law you'll be writing like the clapper if you want good notes, and then end up getting the tape from the library anyways.

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
lectures are normally a room with around 300-500 people in them all writing and listening to the lecturer.

tutes have less people, around 30, and you get to discuss the weeks topic and really do in depth, where the lecture left off.

and pracs/labs are pretty much like tutes but are more hands on with computers and stuff.

well thats how its like at usyd, i'm assuming its the same at macq?

Alena

HSC
do people really just mess around in tutorials? because that's what I heard from my cousin.

doe

HSC
N/A
not in my tutes (computing/maths ones), they're pretty serious, prolly cause everyones petrified of failing. tutes are a good time to get stuff sorted out that you dont understand, tutors are usually pretty friendly and know the material well.

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
Tutes are less than 30 at macq...usually.

Leanne

HSC
i was wondering....how do ppl take efficient notes in lectures?? because i've never been good at taking notes..i always leave out essential information and i can never understand the notes when re-reading them afterwards!

are u allowed to tape lectures?

Majesty

HSC
N/A
Dependant on the course, most of the time i've noticed i'm better of listening in the lecture than writing things down. Especially with computing they provide some basic lecture notes that you can print off the net, you then write whatever you want that the lecturer talks about in relevance to the slide on those notes. Other units give full lecture notes, making attending lectures a bit silly, and then there's some where they give you nothing and you basically have to write whatever the lecturer says/writes on the overheads etc.

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
at usyd your allowed to record lectures. i don't see why they would not allow you to. whats the big deal anyways, you are paying for your education so whats a little recording to better your education gonna do...

anyways, i use to record lectures, but then i never ended up listening to them... except those where i missed a lecture and got a friend to record it.

as what majesty already said about the notes, it pretty much depends on the lecturer if they will have pre-prepared notes for you which are pretty handy so your not furiously writing everything down.

there should be a service at macq uni that teaches you how to write effective notes, you should look into it. but as you go thru first semester, you learn pretty fast on what to take down and your writing speed improves alot!!

Leanne

HSC
well i'm taking my mini tape recorder....just for the beginning....when my notetaking skills are developing....

or i spose u could buddy up ppl to go through notes??

doe

HSC
N/A
i think its "polite" to ask the lecturer the first time if they mind being recorded. i dont think any of them would mind. i know one guy who recorded lectures and listened to them while commuting to and from uni.

sometimes taking notes is all that keeps me awake. web technology was a cool subject. by the end of it, about 20 people (out of a few hundred) would turn up to lectures and about half of them would soon fall asleep.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
ring the library / the department and they will be able to tell you

Alena

HSC
Hi, this might be a stupid question, but when is it best to situate your tutorial lesson. I mean between two lectures or after your lectures?

doe

HSC
N/A
tutes usually cover the stuff from previous weeks lectures, most subjects have no tutes or pracs in the first week, so it doesnt really matter

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)