Legal Studies (PLEASE HELP) (1 Viewer)

T_Brendan_T

HSC
Im currently working on my assignment about DNA evidence. Does anyone know when DNA evidence came to Australia and who implemented it. Also who opposed DNA evidence

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Here's some information:

DNA evidence has had a significant impact on the Australian criminal justice system since it was first used at a criminal trial in the Australian Capital Territory in 1989.

I'm not entirely sure about who opposed DNA evidence though sorry.

T_Brendan_T

HSC
Here's some information:

DNA evidence has had a significant impact on the Australian criminal justice system since it was first used at a criminal trial in the Australian Capital Territory in 1989.

I'm not entirely sure about who opposed DNA evidence though sorry.
Thank you

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm not entirely sure, but I would assume that the opposition consists mainly of scientists and lawyers (and any other parties/bodies to whom DNA evidence is relevant).

- Some scientists might argue things relating to the inaccuracy/unreliability of DNA testing and/or that DNA evidence/testing could be detrimental to a person's health if a person suffers from a particular health problem that doesn't allow them to be tested for example.
- Lawyers and other legal figures may use the scientists' argument of DNA evidence potentially being inaccurate/unreliable to argue that DNA evidence cannot be considered decisive, or in some cases even indicative of a particular case/accusation, making it ineffective, meaning it cannot be considered/treated as evidence.

That's what I think. I hope this helps! 😄

T_Brendan_T

HSC
Sorry to ask you again but do you seem to know who implemented it to Australia

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Implemented as in pass a bill for or enforce DNA laws? I'm going to assume you mean passing the actual laws into the constitution. In that case, the Australian Parliament would most likely be the entity responsible for implementing it after it has been thoroughly considered, because it is the legislative power:

The Constitution gives the legislative power of the Commonwealth — the power to make laws — to the Parliament. The Parliament consists of the Queen, represented by the Governor-General, and two Houses — the House of Representatives and the Senate. The Parliament passes legislation.

The Australian Law Reform Commission seems to have written a lot on this matter, I'll include some links here for you to have a look at, perhaps they contain some additional information that you may find useful:

I hope this helps! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)